1987 B6200 vs 2014 B2620

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
I sold my 2014 B2620 last year as cash was tight...sold it for $15k with rear blade and FEL.

Now I'm back in the tractor market but I really trying to keep my budget under $7500 to keep my wife happy lol.

I found a 1987 B6200 4wd manual trans with an apparent 100 original hours. Its a USDM tractor, not JDM. The hours are low...almost to low to be believable...but like every tractor it comes with a good story (old guy bought it, never used, etc.) Its now on its second owner.

It comes with a Buhler/Allied FEL what looks almost brand new, and a almost new looking rear blade.

Price is around $6k Canadian, what I think is fair.

I'm curious if anyone has driven both the B2620 and B6200 of old.

Is the B6200 more of a BX size than a new B series? Is the Old B6200 comparatively reliable tractor or should I search for a new'er model?

Anything to look out for when checking the B6200 out???

Thanks for advice as always. Great forum!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I sold my 2014 B2620 last year as cash was tight...sold it for $15k with rear blade and FEL.

Now I'm back in the tractor market but I really trying to keep my budget under $7500 to keep my wife happy lol.

I found a 1987 B6200 4wd manual trans with an apparent 100 original hours. Its a USDM tractor, not JDM. The hours are low...almost to low to be believable...but like every tractor it comes with a good story (old guy bought it, never used, etc.) Its now on its second owner.

It comes with a Buhler/Allied FEL what looks almost brand new, and a almost new looking rear blade.

Price is around $6k Canadian, what I think is fair.

I'm curious if anyone has driven both the B2620 and B6200 of old.

Is the B6200 more of a BX size than a new B series? Is the Old B6200 comparatively reliable tractor or should I search for a new'er model?

Anything to look out for when checking the B6200 out???

Thanks for advice as always. Great forum!!
None of the B6200's were grey's so not a concern at all.
The B6200 was more in a class to an L then a BX, it's small but built tough.
It from a very heavy build era.

I have a feeling you will find it rather clucky than the much newer B2620, it's lacking may of the newer fancy add ons.
Number one thing that's going to kick you in the backside is no power steering, with a loader full it's going to fight you pretty good.

unclejemima

Feb 8, 2015
Alberta
Good info, thanks. I always thought the 6200 was BX sized.

I suppose without power steering it’s one less thing to go wrong lol.

This thing has a 3 digit hour meter...it shows 158 hours. How likely is it that the thing rolled over and it’s actually 1158 hours? I suppose once I look at the engine I will know. With 158 hours it should look like new under the hood.

Forester23

Equipment
B2601, LA434 FEL, Land Pride SGC0554 grapple, Land Pride 1560 Box Scraper
Apr 23, 2019
Crescent City Ca
I owned a B6100D tractor for almost 30 years and put over 3200 hours on the machine. I found it to be reliable and easy to maintain. The only major mechanical issue was that the radiator rusted out and was replaced. It is a solid well built tractor.

The only negative issues that I had with it was that the FEL sub frame reduced the ground clearance and it would often get hung up. The other issue was the lack of power steering. Although this did not brother me when it was first purchased the lack of power steering was one of the reasons for getting a new B2601 several months ago. With a full bucket of material the tractor was a chore to operate but I was never disappointed with the amount of work that it could do.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Good info, thanks. I always thought the 6200 was BX sized.

I suppose without power steering it’s one less thing to go wrong lol.

This thing has a 3 digit hour meter...it shows 158 hours. How likely is it that the thing rolled over and it’s actually 1158 hours? I suppose once I look at the engine I will know. With 158 hours it should look like new under the hood.

It’s very likely to have rolled over IMO.

It’s odd these only have 3 place hour meters. A co worker and I had this discussion just the other day.. Didn’t believe my G’s had 4 place meters. Lol.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
UncleJ, I wouldn't be too concerned about the reading on the hour meter. Many tractors can be 20 years old and have 500-600 hours on them. Tractors have changed in, say the last 10 years. There are more implements like the grapple, and quick hitches, and adjustable stabilizers for easier hookup which make it easier to add the hours to a machine.

But you may have an advantage. The tractor is at the second owners, so maybe he know some of the history before he acquired it, and then how he used it and serviced it. This can tell you a bid about the hours, but hot it starts, runs, looks, used in the past, is more important than engine hours.

As others have said, these are solid, hard working, low cost of maintenance tractors. Not having power steering is not the best with a front end loader, but you can make sure the tires are inflated on the high side and use it for years.

Remember, you have to settle for what your budget allows! You're not going to get a Grammer seat on a Grand L on a restricted budget.