1986 - B7200HSD voltage regulator

Orangefox40

Equipment
B7200HSD_FEL+Blade, 1986
Jan 2, 2010
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone, Ron here and new to Orangetractor. I've had my Betsy for about 8 months and so far she has been running very well. She has had a hard life with little regular maintenance and I'm in the process of providing some TLC. I have been having problems with her regulator. First off I had to rewiring most of the harness as the fuseable link blew and the primary ground return wire fryed thru it's entire length as it was only 18 ga. while the primary power wire is 12 or 10 ga.- go figure. The regulator tests while off the tractor shows it not to be working. While mounted on the tractor there is no change on voltage level when lights are turned on or when engine is reved up. An auto electric shop confirmed the alternator to be in perfect shape and working but regulator to be bad so replaced it with a universal voltage regulator which only has 2 connections instead of six, one for the ignition line in and one out to the alternator. "This will get you charging" he says. "Yes, but what about the charge light on the dash and the other 4 wires in the harness plug" I questioned. He gave no definitive answer so I'm asking for some help from all of you. This regulator is a Nippondenso 026000-2121. Kubota wants $140.95 for a new one. The service manual that I have only talks about an "AC Dynamo" and a solid state regulator. Betsy has a Nippondenso Alternator and a mechanical voltage regulator. A friend who also has a 1986 B7200 also has the alernator and mechanical regulator. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.:)
Ron