1980 Kubota B7100, gear noise in 3rd and reverse

droughty

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Nov 21, 2021
New Zealand
Hi,

Im Considering purchasing a 1980 7100D gear drive tractor for Lifestyle Farm.
during my test drive in 3rd and reverse gears it makes a horrible noise, owner says could be a driveshaft bearing.. Sure sounds like a bearing, no issues in 1st and 2nd. Owner never bothered to fix as he never used those gears while towing his boat.

1.) What could this be?
2.) Is it a difficult DIY fix for a mechanically minded owner?

Cheers
Droughty.
252F7C56-C6DF-4267-8000-7599DA458171.jpeg

Last edited:

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Hi,

during my test drive in 3rd and reverse gears it makes a horrible noise, owner says could be a driveshaft bearing.. Sure sounds like a bearing, no issues in 1st and 2nd. Owner never bothered to fix as he never used those gears while towing his boat.

1.) What could this be?

Cheers
Droughty. View attachment 70181
I believe 2nd gear is used with reverse as well, if I remember correctly. It is common for those gears to to be worn more and create more gear noise, as 2nd gear seems to be the most common gear that is used. I think that same gear may have something to do with PTO use as well. 3rd gear is not a real common gear to use, unless you are in low range all of the time. I have some gear noise in 2nd gear on mine.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Does anyone have a link to a service manual and a parts manual for the B7100?
Cheers
Kubotabooks.com is the place to go for Owners' and Shop manuals.

Books

Parts manuals are best found on line. In that way any parts updating and revised numbers are seen

Seeing that you are in New Zealand you likely cannot access Kubota sites in North America but there will be other Kubota sites close to you

Messicks site in the USA may let you in. If you have to sign in do so as a guest.

Messicks

Dave

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Hi,

1.) What could this be?

Cheers
Droughty. View attachment 70181
A B7100 does not have a drive shaft like a rear drive car or pickup truck. There is a shaft that runs from the clutch back to the front of the transmission. If there was a problem with this shaft it would make the noise in all 3 gears plus reverse. You must have a problem inside the transmission.
I don't understand how the previous owner never used reverse while moving a boat around.