1972 L210, front oil seal leak

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
so my ol girl started leaking oil out the front oil seal that is behind the crank pulley. after looking around i found the part N.O.S. for $15. the problem is i can not find information on how to change it. i'm jut lost with what to do, if its to much tare down i know there is alot of other seals and gaskets and the such that i might as well do when its apart and my $15 part will end up costing me an unknown amount and lots of time. and that is if i can even find all the parts for this ol girl. anyway looking to get some idea of how simple or complex of a fix this is. and any advise on how to actually replace this seal. :confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First I wonder if you are looking at the right seal, as the seal only runs $6.39 ??

To replace the seal remove nut, remove pulley, pull seal and replace, But here is the catch, if the seal is leaking it may not be the seals fault there is 2 other parts that are at play here, The seal rides on a collar, and that wears, and under that collar is an O-ring.
My suggestion would be to replace all three parts at the same time as they all function to seal the crankshaft end. ;)
Sad part is seal and O-ring are cheap collar is not. :(
On some models the seal rides on the front of the collar and you can turn the collar around and let the new seal ride on the unworn part of the collar, but if the wear mark is anywhere near the center replace the collar as it will eat a new seal fast.

Seal P/N 09550-00002 $6.39
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=528340
O-Ring P/N 04811-00360 $1.03
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=1623
Collar P/N 15021-23252 $45.85
http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=539982

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
thanks wolfman, and yeah i was including the shipping in the price. i am relieved that its a "simple" fix. not liking the idea of the possible cost of parts.... well better get started on taking the radiator/grill/hood off, not even going to question if its in the way or not.

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
just an update, replaced the seal. the steps were easy, actually getting parts off was not. the collar had no wear to it and the o-ring was like new. the seal however came out in about 20 pieces. after pulling the old seal out i decided to go ahead and clean out the oil pan following kubotas directions in the manual (the oil pan has a plate on the side that you take off and wipe it all out with kerosene) i replaced the oil filter as well. put the tractor all back together and filled the fluids. spun the motor over by hand a few hundred times with a socket on the front pulley nut. went to start her up aannnddd.....

brand new 3 month old starter craps out on me. thankfully under warranty. took another month to get another starter, took two day to get it put in because i had to loosen the water intake manifold for the starter to have the clearance to fit (something i totally forgot from before) trip to store for antifreeze since i didn't like the look of what came out. filled radiator up, tightened up water intake further to stop leaks (not easy to do as bolts are behind starter). go to start tractor aannnddd....

dead batt (cus words for next 10 mins as i search for jumper cables) hook up jumpers and gave it a bit to give a little charge. go to start the tractor aannnddd..... thump,thump,thump,thump,thump,thump,thump..... :D :D :D :D :D :D let her run for a good hr while periodically checking everything over then took her for a joy ride around the block with the kids in the wagon behind.

that was end of may last year and shes been a good girl since. can say she is darn reliable for a 44 year old girl with rolled over hrs.