1801 DT 4 speed PTO, which one for 540 RPM?

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
L1501 with rotavator and brush cutter
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
Yes it is the first gear but make sure you have the correct engine revs otherwise you wont get that 540 rpm.
Not sure what the exact revs are for your tractor but there should be a mark on your tachometer to tell you what revs to go up to.
On my L1501 it is 2,800.

Gary

Guy JR

Oct 19, 2010
Gadshill Ontario Canada
Thanks for the info guys. I tryed to run it in 4th and it felt like the mower was trying to lift off. I will have to get my hands on a tack and see what RPM I am getting at the PTO in the different gears. What would the higher gears be used for? Are most impliments not built for 540 RPM?

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
L1501 with rotavator and brush cutter
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
Yes, most implements seem to have stated on them not to run them over 540 rpm.
I do cheat however. I use a brush cutter for my land which is flat but agricultural so a grass mower is no good. Given that now all I need to do is cut the top of the grass, rather than running the brush cutter pto in first gear at 2,800 rpm in 4th gear, I use the second pto speed and run the tractor in 5th gear at 1,800 rpm. Roughly the same brushcutter speed with slightlly faster forward movement for less engine revs. this wont work with everything but for my land with my grass, it is ideal. Come spring, it will be back to 4th gear for a while.

I didn't realise you didn't have a tacho on your machine. As a general rule of thumb, run at 2/3 throttle in 1st pto gear and you should be near to 540 pto rpm. You will probably be a bit under the 540 limit which is not a bad thing.

Gary