175 Oil leak

kubotainpittsburgh

Apr 18, 2012
pittsburgh,pa
[/URL][/IMG]

Picked up an L175 last winter.
It sat under a tarp from October to April in Pittsburgh.
Oil level was checked prior to starting up and was ok.

I drove down one 30 degree hill for 15 feet and up a 20 degree hill for 20 feet.
I was backing up a 8" tall slab of concrete to start to take care of some of the neglected items....... filter changes fluid changes and take care of some leaks.

This is when I noticed a trail of oil. It was not hard to find the source. On the right side on the same level as the oil filter there are two holes and between them is a bolt securing what looks like a port cover. (shown in photo just above the text).

The oil was coming out of the bottom hole.
From the condition of the hole if there ever was anything installed ther it had long since been removed.

Anyone have any information that will shed some light?

I did see one post that mentioned a "plug pin" in the illustrated parts manual.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4526
My copy of the parts manual is April 2003 code 07909-50751.
I could not find a drawing in the manual that showed that section of the tractor.
I did however see several "plug pin"s mentioned.
If these are true plugs why are these holes threaded?
Or do you put the plug in and back it up with a bolt?
An online search for plug pin only turned up electrical connectors.

I am going to take care of all the other items on my list including the oil change.
Replacement of the oil pan gasket is on the list, is there anything I should check with the pan off?

Making fun of the guy who does not know what a plug pin is, is not only welcomed but should be encouraged, after all if you can't laugh at others...........................

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would swing that little inspection plate aside and check for what lies inside there. That image won't zoom for me and is a little small but it looks like it would be the flywheel housing. If it is there should not be oil there.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yep Vic has it right.

The cover above the leaking hole is the timing inspection port for the flywheel. Unfortunately if oil came out of that then everything in the clutch housing is probably soaked with oil. Just to the left of that on the bell housing you'll find a rectangular plate with two bends that's held in by two bolts. That's the clutch adjustment port, remove that and you can see the just about everything in there. If the oil is black it's engine oil, if it's amber or some variation on that it's translube. Examine the clutch assembly and see if it's covered in oil, I think you're going to find it is. Sop up as much of it as you can and then empty a can of brake cleaner in there and sop up the residue. I'd tie the clutch down or have someone hold it in while you do this. I'm still not sure how much oil you'll be able to remove around the clutch disc which is where you really don't want it but this is your best bet without taking it apart. Pull the negative battery cable and yank the compression release while you've got your fingers in there.

Posts #23 and 24 here show what's in there.

kubotainpittsburgh

Apr 18, 2012
pittsburgh,pa
birddogger
Yes I see it now said the blind man; thanks much.

Service Dept Vic
Thanks for the great information.
Due to bad weather I am not yet able to apply the newfound information.
During a break in the rain a quick inspection for a drain plug was done.
Is there a plug on the L175 if not should one be added?
The parts manual shows 2 on page 17 marked 006 and 008.
I will update the thread when I can get something dry to lay on under the tractor.
Thanks much

Stumpy
Thanks for the great information.
I really appreciate the safety information, I have spent far too many years with all my digits to part with them now.
If you ar NE Ohio you should be getting rained on right about now.
Thanks much

I will update here with text and pictures in the hopes it may help the next person apply all the great information you have shared with me.

To all be good and be safe

kubotainpittsburgh

Apr 18, 2012
pittsburgh,pa
Well it finally dried out enough to get back at it.

The drain plug for the clutch housing was under a pulley bracket

The rubber gasket for the bent access panel looks to have been one of 6 possible places water found access to the housing.
There are two holes(1-2) as shown in the original photo plus the access port(3) for the flywheel. there are two (4-5)more threaded holes on the opposite side of the housing. and finally the bent access port(6).

The fluid that came out of the drain plug was a thin brown liquid. that smelled like the engine gunk cleaner I used to clean off the engine.

This in addition to evidence of surface rust inside the housing leads me to my best guess that water found its way in via on of six places and that it only had a petrol smell after the engine cleaner leaked in.

I am going to put bolts in the holes and replace the gasket on the bent access plate. I will most likely paint the bolt heads a special color identifying them as plugs. while I am at it I will paint all drain plugs another special color.

I will be leaving the drain plug out as only water sprayed straight up from under the tractor could gain access from there. This will also allow me as Vic said to monitor the inside of the housing for future leaks.

I was a mess from the work so pictures will have to come when I get the bolts and gasket material to finish the job.

Also I was hoping to not have to use a pressure washer but the engine cleaner left much to be desired. Any issues ...... things to look out for when pressure washing that or alternatives THIS TRACTOR IS DIRTY.

Our BX24 does not want this nasty wench on the same piece of earth.

to all be good and be safe