05 M 9000 / pulling

BDS

Equipment
M9000
May 9, 2013
Martinsville, VA
New to site. Just purchased 05 M9000. Ran it about 4 hours yesterday, no problem until time to quit. It did not want to pull conditioner on high side had to switch to low side. Today would not come out of barn unless in high side. Any suggestions?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just for some more back ground, how many hrs on the tractor?

I'm assuming you mean the clutch is slipping. Have you checked the free travel on the clutch pedal?

BDS

Equipment
M9000
May 9, 2013
Martinsville, VA
It has about 547 hours. Checked the clutch it was with in range of the manual specs for free play. Changed the two hydra/tran filters got a little better. However not where it should be for that size tractor. Dealership washed it prior to useon Sat. Reading manual more last night could it be water collection in the clutch housing.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say that is something to look at. Unless it has really been abused there should be no reason for the clutch to be worn out with those few hrs. It should still be like new.

I believe I would get the dealer involved first thing since it sounds like you just purchased it from them. Maybe they will stand behind it if there is something bad wrong with it.

BDS

Equipment
M9000
May 9, 2013
Martinsville, VA
That was my plan. I was hoping that it was something simple I was missing since I just purchased the machine. I purchased it from a 3rd party but had a dealer rep go over it prior to the purchase hoping he would find any problems. Look like he didn't. I will let you know how it goes.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Do you know if the hyd fluid has every been changed and if so what type oil was put back in when/if it was changed?

With 547 hrs it's getting close to time for the second hyd fluid and filter change. It may have never been changed the first time or it could have been changed at 50 hrs and the fluid was replaced with something cheap instead of the proper fluid.

It would have come from the factory with SUDT and now knowing it has hyd shuttle shift the correct fluid would be extremely important. Even if UDT was used it would cause problems when the tractor was worked hard. Pulling a conditioner may not be a super hard job but it creates lots of heat. Heat is a tranny killer and in your case could also be a clutch killer.

I realize the 4 hrs you used it didn't just suddenly cook the clutch but who knows what the former owner has used it for.

Looking a different direction, might be worth having the hyd pressure tested. It may not have enough pressure on the clutch pack and it's letting them slip. I have a neighbor with a 9000 that had that problem with his PTO. It would work but lacked power. he finally complained enough that the dealer put it on a dyno. It only had 35 pto hp. The pressure was way to low going to the pto and it slipped. I'm just throwing ideas out there, it's hard to say what might be wrong.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Since your tractor has hyd shuttle it has no true traction clutch to slip but rather has a damper clutch and the shuttle clutches serve as traction clutches. Therefore I would highly recommend changing hyd filters and possibly checking hyd pressure. Normally if a clutch is slipping it will pull better in lower rather higher gears.

Last edited:

BDS

Equipment
M9000
May 9, 2013
Martinsville, VA
Was able to confirm from original owner that he did not change hyd/ tran oil at 50. Was selling tractor so next oil change was not completed either. So hopefully by me changing filters and oil this will fix my problem. Is their any possible known damags from not changing the fluids earlier?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If filters are original they will be painted grey. I hope no damage was done.
My dealer carries original Japan made filters which are the same as they come with new. Most dealers carry either mexican made or American made filters and go ahead and charge Japan prices.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I just replaced hyd filters on my M7040 and the original filters were grey and the new filters in a Kubota box with Kubota PN were white.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Do these filters you refer to come in a Kubota logo box with full Kubota PN printed on the box?
This is the only one I have in stock at the moment. I just did my yearly service on the bota's so filter stock is low.

I tried to get a picture where it says Made in Japan but the writing was to small.

Attachments