Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Rear hazard lights on l185

WHAT??? :confused:
Red faces the rear...always!
Of course RED for REAR, but for stopping ONLY, not for running /hazard slow moving vehicle lights.

On an automobile or truck yes. On farm equipment that is slow moving NO..... AMBER flashers for warning of a slow moving vehicle RED for stopping ONLY.

Maybe things are different in Idaho (like rototilling fields which is never done because of one the cost per acre and two, the time involved, here in the heartland, chisel plowing and cultipacking are the accepted and efficient norms)...........

Every piece of my equipment and pull behind implements that I road, have AMBER Flashing lights facing rear and RED lenses for stopping.

Having said that, my tractors do not have stoplight activation circuitry, however NH offers an control box with a deceleration device inside that activates the RED stop lights when you slow down. I have them on my pull behind implements.

AMBER facing forward as well.

Not going to debate it with you, I've only been doing this stuff (roading and fitting fields for planting) for the last 20 years or so. Guess maybe I need to post up pictures of my equipment as it's set up to pull down the road and some pictures of fitted up fields and the implements used to fit them.

If any producer around there parts (other than produce farmers) ever rototilled a field prior to planting a row crop or even owned a rototiller capable of fitting a field, they'd be locked up as insane

Guess it's picture time. Guess I'll get out the digital camera and take some pictures. Not a big picture taker but to put this to rest I can be if required.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Of course RED for REAR, but for stopping ONLY, not for running /hazard slow moving vehicle lights.

On an automobile or truck yes. On farm equipment that is slow moving NO..... AMBER flashers for warning of a slow moving vehicle RED for stopping ONLY.

Maybe things are different in Idaho (like rototilling fields which is never done because of one the cost per acre and two, the time involved, here in the heartland, chisel plowing and cultipacking are the accepted and efficient norms)...........

Every piece of my equipment and pull behind implements that I road, have AMBER Flashing lights facing rear and RED lenses for stopping.

Having said that, my tractors do not have stoplight activation circuitry, however NH offers an control box with a deceleration device inside that activates the RED stop lights when you slow down. I have them on my pull behind implements.

AMBER facing forward as well.

Not going to debate it with you, I've only been doing this stuff (roading and fitting fields for planting) for the last 20 years or so. Guess maybe I need to post up pictures of my equipment as it's set up to pull down the road and some pictures of fitted up fields and the implements used to fit them.

If any producer around there parts (other than produce farmers) ever rototilled a field prior to planting a row crop or even owned a rototiller capable of fitting a field, they'd be locked up as insane

Guess it's picture time. Guess I'll get out the digital camera and take some pictures. Not a big picture taker but to put this to rest I can be if required.
You alway take things and spin them the way you want, it's annoying, but I'll save that for another thread!

With a single lens dual filament bulb, unit you don't have a choice, you must make the rear red because you must make the rear clearance / marker / running lights red.
How many vehicles have you seen with amber rear clearance / marker / running lights?
Answer NONE!

Just for you Sidecarflip:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=345310#post345310

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
IC 9-19-6-11 Farm equipment and tractors manufactured before July 1, 2006
Sec. 11. (a) This section does not apply to:
(1) an implement of husbandry; or
(2) a farm tractor;
manufactured after June 30, 2006.
(b) A farm tractor and a self-propelled farm equipment unit or an implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and not equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with the following:
(1) At least one (1) lamp displaying a white light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front of the vehicle.
(2) At least one (1) lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear of the vehicle.
(3) Two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The lights required by this subsection must be positioned so that one (1) lamp showing to the front and one (1) lamp or reflector showing to the rear will indicate the furthest projection of the tractor, unit, or implement on the side of the road used in passing the vehicle.
(c) A combination of farm tractor and towed unit of farm equipment or implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and not equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with two (2) red reflectors that meet the following requirements:
(1) Are visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
(2) Are mounted in a manner so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right rear projections of the towed unit or implement on the highway.
(d) A farm tractor and a self-propelled unit of farm equipment or an implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped with the following:
(1) Two (2) single-beam or multiple-beam head lamps meeting the requirements of section 20 or 21 of this chapter or IC 9-21-7-9.
(2) Two (2) red lamps visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear, or in the alternative one (1) red lamp visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear and two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The red lamps or reflectors must be mounted in the rear of the farm

tractor or self-propelled implement of agriculture so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right projections of the vehicle on the highways.
(e) A combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment or towed implement of agriculture designed to be operated primarily in a farm field or on farm premises, if operated on a highway and equipped with an electric lighting system, must at all times required by IC 9-21-7-2 be equipped as follows:
(1) The farm tractor element of each combination must be equipped with two (2) single-beam or multiple-beam head lamps meeting the requirements of section 20 or 21 of this chapter or IC 9-21-7-9.
(2) The towed unit of farm equipment or implement of agriculture element of each combination must be equipped with the following:
(A) Two (2) red lamps visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear, or as an alternative one (1) red lamp visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear.
(B) Two (2) red reflectors visible from a distance of one hundred (100) feet to six hundred (600) feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.
The red lamps or reflectors must be located so as to indicate as nearly as practicable the extreme left and right rear projections of the towed unit or implement on the highway.
(3) A combination of farm tractor and towed farm equipment or towed implement of agriculture equipped with an electric lighting system must be equipped with the following:
(A) A lamp displaying a white or an amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front.
(B) A lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the rear.
The lamps must be installed or capable of being positioned so as to indicate to the front and rear the furthest projection of that combination on the side of the road used by other vehicles in passing that combination.
(f) A farm tractor, a self-propelled farm equipment unit, or an implement of agriculture must not display blinding field or flood lights when operated on a highway.
(g) All rear lighting requirements may be satisfied by having a vehicle with flashing lights immediately trail farm equipment in accordance with IC 9-21-7-11.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.1-1991, SEC.91; P.L.127-1995, SEC.1; P.L.148-2005, SEC.1; P.L.210-2005, SEC.29; P.L.1-2006, SEC.161.
IC 9-19-6-11.3
Implements of husbandry and farm tractors; required equipment when manufactured after June 30, 2006, and operated on a

highway
Sec. 11.3. (a) This section applies to the following items manufactured after June 30, 2006, when operated on a highway:
(1) An implement of husbandry.
(2) A farm tractor.
(b) An implement of husbandry or a farm tractor listed in subsection (a) must be equipped with:
(1) head lamps;
(2) tail lamps;
(3) work lamps;
(4) warning lamps;
(5) extremity lamps;
(6) turn indicators;
(7) rear reflectors;
(8) front and rear conspicuity material; and
(9) front, rear, and side retroreflective material;
that comply with the standards contained in the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE) Standard S279.11 DEC01 or any subsequent standards developed by ASAE at the time the vehicle was manufactured.
As added by P.L.148-2005, SEC.2.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Red to the rear, amber to the front. Red always means the rear of a vehicle, trailer, car, ect.... ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Really? Guess I'll just post pictures of all my equipment and tractors and then you all can decide. Note, I have not altered any of them, all factory lights.

RED is stoplight, I agree with that. I don't agree with any other premise at least for ag off road equipment.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

You alway take things and spin them the way you want, it's annoying, but I'll save that for another thread!

With a single lens dual filament bulb, unit you don't have a choice, you must make the rear red because you must make the rear clearance / marker / running lights red.
How many vehicles have you seen with amber rear clearance / marker / running lights?
Answer NONE!

Just for you Sidecarflip:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=345310#post345310
No on road vehicles, I agree with that and that only.

I'll take the pictures and then you can decide. Maybe call Kubota, New Holland and John Deer and tell them they are FOS too.

No spin at all.

it's coming....

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Really? Guess I'll just post pictures of all my equipment and tractors and then you all can decide. Note, I have not altered any of them, all factory lights.

RED is stoplight, I agree with that. I don't agree with any other premise at least for ag off road equipment.
Red means back end of vehicle!!! I'm sure your car or truck doesn't have red lights on the front end. Same with your tractor. Your new equipment may indeed have yellow flashers, but I'm sure it also has red Tail lights as well. We are also talking about a 40 year old tractor versus your equipment that is under 13 years old so it's manufactured to updated standards.

In the OP'S case, he trying to determine how to keep from getting a bloody ticket when running down the road on his old tractor. Easiest thing to do is get two lights and mount one on each fender. Both lights have 1 amber lense, and 1 red lense. The amber lense faces forward, the red lense faces back. This gives him his flashers, as well as the red light he needs on the back of it. And add 1 work light that faces backwards since his tractor does come with headlights that meet the forward facing requirement.

Stick on a couple reflectors, yes!!!! Red on the back and he's good to go.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

FYI, I was just getting in from the field, I've been round baling all day.

I said I'd take pictures of my AMBER facing rear lights and AMBER facing forward lights. Keep in mind, this is all factory lighting, only aftermarket lights are on the M9 Cab up top, everything else is 100% stock, from the various factories, in this case Kubota and New Holland. I also have AMBER rear facing lights on my JD mower but I did not take pictures of that, I think what I did take pictures of, proves my point..

AMBER lights facing rearward (and forward) for hazard flashers for daytime running and night time running if need be (I work after sunset sometimes). All my units have RED rear facing lights as well but they are only for NIGHT, AFTER SUNSET running. Daytime running (roading between fields) is always with the AMBER flashers on....

To your comment Wolfman, I say you might be knowledgable about little tractors but you don't know squat about farming or roading a SMV (Slow moving vehicle, aka: tractor...)

For your enjoyment. If they come out sideways, rotate your computer screen...lol

First one is the backside of the round baler, AMBER lights not illuminated

Second one is the backside of the round baler, AMBER hazard (SMV) lights illuminated

Third is the backside of my Cab M9 with the AMBER rear and forward facing hazard lights and the RED after sunset running lights...

Fourth AMBER facing forward on the M9 Cab

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

More for your unbridled enjoyment....:D

Fifth, AMBER FORWARD FACING HAZARD LIGHTS illuminated

Sixth, AMBER forward and rear facing HAZARD lights on my open station M9.. geeing the point yet?

Seventh, same light not Illuminated....

Eighth, back of OS M9 with AMBER lights illuminated and night time RED lights not illuminated.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

More, hope you ain't getting bored. If you are I can do some pictures of fitting fields and not with a rototiller either....:D

Ninth Better shot of the Cab M9 AMBER LIGHTS ILLUMINATED, red night time running lights not illuminated.

Tenth, Back of my Disc Bine AMBER LIGHT ILLUMINATED

Eleventh, AMBER light facing forward and backwards on my Disc Bine. Red running (night time lights blacked out facing forward on rearward.

No spin, no BS. all factory and all exactly how it should be if you want to drive on the side of a public road or down the middle for that matter.

Been doing this stuff (farming / haying) for 20 years now I know what I'm talking about and Wolfman, you don't. Stick to your tractor mechanics, I'll stick to farming and what is legal to drive down the road far as tractors go.

I still find the rototill thing amusing.

Normally, I don't post pictures but in this case some people on here don't know what they are talking about and it ain't me either.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Red means back end of vehicle!!! I'm sure your car or truck doesn't have red lights on the front end. Same with your tractor. Your new equipment may indeed have yellow flashers, but I'm sure it also has red Tail lights as well. We are also talking about a 40 year old tractor versus your equipment that is under 13 years old so it's manufactured to updated standards.

In the OP'S case, he trying to determine how to keep from getting a bloody ticket when running down the road on his old tractor. Easiest thing to do is get two lights and mount one on each fender. Both lights have 1 amber lense, and 1 red lense. The amber lense faces forward, the red lense faces back. This gives him his flashers, as well as the red light he needs on the back of it. And add 1 work light that faces backwards since his tractor does come with headlights that meet the forward facing requirement.

Stick on a couple reflectors, yes!!!! Red on the back and he's good to go.

Not on a public right of way Reflectors are for bicycles, not motorized tractors on a public road. Better get your facts straight.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Yes, the tractor and baler are dirty because they have been in the field all day but they will get washed off tomorrow morning. I don't like dirty equipment.

I blew the chaff off the baler, greased it as well as the tractor, checked all the fluids too and blew out the radiator and screens.

Preventive maintenance is everything. Don't need any breakdown's in the field no do we....

Disc Bine needs washed too. Just installed new cutter knives and hold down bolts.

I'm done until September 1, with hay at least.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

The OP asked about rear lights. This is were we end up ? Not looking like the normal friendly OrangeTractorTalks.
James
Agree completely.