Better Fuel Filter Options for a BX

drchris1978

Equipment
Kubota BX1870 for mowing & bagging and plowing snow
Feb 13, 2018
Dartmouth, MA
Thanks for adding me to the group! I have a question. Has anyone here modified their fuel filter assembly for a BX? A friend told me to use the fuel filter assembly for a 'B' model (6A320-58862) on my BX. I understand diesel engines and how important clean fuel is but is it a good idea to modify the factory fuel system with one from a larger tractor/different model. I only ask because the OEM BX fuel filters seem somewhat cheap and there's no water seperator.

Any advise/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for adding me to the group! I have a question. Has anyone here modified their fuel filter assembly for a BX? A friend told me to use the fuel filter assembly for a 'B' model (6A320-58862) on my BX. I understand diesel engines and how important clean fuel is but is it a good idea to modify the factory fuel system with one from a larger tractor/different model. I only ask because the OEM BX fuel filters seem somewhat cheap and there's no water seperator.

Any advise/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
Chris,

been done many times - your friend is giving you good advice. DO a search for fuel filter modifications on BX on google and here. YOU will find many that have a great solution. Protecting the "new" filter is the problem however - that needs a little work too.;)

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Anyone ever see a home heating oil filter kit used on a tractor? From a cost standpoint it would a huge advantage and should be very easy to mount.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Anyone ever see a home heating oil filter kit used on a tractor? From a cost standpoint it would a huge advantage and should be very easy to mount.
hmm...... is the oil pressure anything similar to a tractor engine in a Home heating oil system? If not the media in the filter may be a good bit different. Also there may not be a bypass in the filter like there is with vehicle/tractor filters. Some might say that is good I guess though. Generally though most agree having a bypass.. is good for if filter plugs... you do not want engine to get no oil at all.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
hmm...... is the oil pressure anything similar to a tractor engine in a Home heating oil system? If not the media in the filter may be a good bit different. Also there may not be a bypass in the filter like there is with vehicle/tractor filters. Some might say that is good I guess though. Generally though most agree having a bypass.. is good for if filter plugs... you do not want engine to get no oil at all.

Coach, aren't they talking about a FUEL filter replacement?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
[/COLOR]

See D2.....it happens to us all!!!!:D;):)

I would imagine that an oil furnace filter (gravity feed typically) would work, but.......I am not sure if the 3-7 psi pump would allow enough to pass fast enough - and I am not sure what the micron level is on a heating oil filter vs a diesel tractor might be - then again it might work just fine, both are very similar in design !

I do know that the filters on the stock BX are nothing to talk about - other than they do a "good" enough job - specially the first one.;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
William maybe you can drop him a line, he is making somethings for sale now, I don;t know what all but its worth an email

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
[/COLOR]

Dohhhh........ yup meant fuel filter then got lost in la la land... Any whose... fuel filters too have a bypass. If they did not the fuel filter would potentially get its inner filter media crushed by vacuum if clogged thus rupturing it and sending all the crud it filtered out.. into your fuel system all at once. Since there is no vacuum on a gravity fed filter.... it may not have a bypass?

https://www.centralaveauto.com/the-function-of-the-fuel-filter/

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I heard back from Kathy Short (Paul's Wife). She told me that Paul is working on getting a kit together in the near future.:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One step one day my friend, they put me back together with almost all the parts,,lol,, Hope and your lovely Bride are staying warm with all the weather your having

Mochanic

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 18, 2019
Baytown, Texas, USA
Here is mine***8230;
Uses the factory Kubota filter assembly: 6A320-58862

(https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-6A320-58862-Complete-Gasoline-Assembly/dp/B007S1P7X4)

OR

(https://www.messicks.com/part/6a320-58862/fuel-filter-assy)

Very easy to install and I placed mine where you can get to it easy, but keep it out of the way and safe.

This will probably be your cheapest and easiest solution to the crappy OEM filters. You could even use 2 of them, placing one before the pump, and one in the engine bay after the pump.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I have been looking at these fuel filter threads and have been considering doing this using a heated filter. Has anyone done this? With the fuel issues this winter I figure heated would be better. Install a switch to heat in the winter. I once made the statement that if I had known how the fuel filters are on the BX I would have looked more at Deere. Well I must eat some crow as I have learned that the 1025r has a similar filter in a similar location. This means I best just deal with the issue.