FEL is crooked

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My FEL has been crooked since I got it, one side of bucket is about 1.5 in lower than the other. The dealer noticed it in my barn when he dropped it off and told me to check the tire inflation, but it slipped my mind. I thought it sat crooked on the barn floor because the floor was sagging, 200 yr old wood floor. But I asked them to check it last month when it went back for service etc last month.

It still seemed crooked when it came back, so I took it onto the concrete by my garage and put a level on the concrete, the top of the rops, the floor of the operator's station, the bucket and a horizontal bar on the loader. The loader and the bucket are definitely not horizontal when the others are. When I talked to them the tech said he lifted the tractor with the bucket, and loosened the bolts on the frame, let it level itself and retightened the bolts, and that it must have slipped again. They will come out sometime and try again with a bigger wrench, but I am wondering is there usually this much play in those bolts or the holes they go in??

After the comments in another thread about bellhousings that sounded like putting a lot of stress on the tractor with the loader frame was a bad thing, I have started to be a little worried about the situation. Any general information about loader to frame issues would be appreciated, since I am somewhat clueless. Thanks everyone!

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Could the lift cylinder rams be out of sync?
Mesure the rams?
Find a level ground and compare both sides at different points.
/joints.
Measure arm lenths and angles.

Ray

Last edited:

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
My BX2230 FEL is a bit crooked too.

Had not thought about loosing the bolts on the frame attachment point with it on a level floor...

Going to try that...

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My BX2230 FEL is a bit crooked too.

Had not thought about loosing the bolts on the frame attachment point with it on a level floor...

Going to try that...
I just came in from trying to make sure all of mine were tight, and that was a joke. According to the loader manual, they should be torqued to 166 ft lbs. My 24 mm wrench is only a foot long, and I weigh 130 lbs. :eek: adding length with a pipe on my crummy wrench looked hazardous to adjacent engine parts. Hopefully you are better equipped!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I think that would make me a little crazy. Loosening every loader related bolt and retorquing may be a bit of work. I would inspect weld joints for loose paint as that indicates bending/cracking.
Tech should of got it the first time.

Any way to add shims to correct this i wonder?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
sheepfarmer,
Any chance you could load a picture of it?

ccryder

Equipment
Kubota L3830 4wd 723 fel
Apr 25, 2015
Mount Airy NC USA
I have a L3830 that has the same problem about 1-2 inchs out of level ,I would love to see what is the fix for this .

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
sheepfarmer,
Any chance you could load a picture of it?
I'll try, I lost Photoshop along with all the rest of my software with the virus episode, and I haven't scrounged up something else yet. Native file size of tablet photos is too big. Need to solve problem on general principles. What views are you interested in seeing?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sounds stupid, but check the REAR tire pressure ;)
No not stupid, dealer told me to do that in Nov when he delivered it and noticed it was crooked. I forgot, but assume they checked when it was in for service last month, and I complained about the crooked problem, but just for ducks I was going to check it again. It is crazy busy in the spring at that dealership, and something might have got missed. It makes sense...one higher than the other in the rear would tip the diagonal front corner down.

The tires are loaded, so even if the valve is at the top, I'm a little apprehensive my gage will get all stickied up and not give a good reading. Or worse yet it will start to leak. :eek::eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll try, I lost Photoshop along with all the rest of my software with the virus episode, and I haven't scrounged up something else yet. Native file size of tablet photos is too big. Need to solve problem on general principles. What views are you interested in seeing?
Front and side view would be great.
Does it have a quick attach on it too, if so take one with the bucket off. :)
You could email them too me too. ;)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I just came in from trying to make sure all of mine were tight, and that was a joke. According to the loader manual, they should be torqued to 166 ft lbs. My 24 mm wrench is only a foot long, and I weigh 130 lbs. :eek: adding length with a pipe on my crummy wrench looked hazardous to adjacent engine parts. Hopefully you are better equipped!
It sounds like you were using a box-end-wrench probably 12 point. Not a good wrench to ever put an extension on, they are usually offset or at least angled so the force is not in the same plane as the nut or bolt head. When you use to much force the 12 point wrench will displace metal and slip. The motor might have been in danger, but more so your hands. If you decide to try and adjust or torque get a 6 point socket and a long breaker bar or torque wrench.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
My FEL has been crooked since I got it, one side of bucket is about 1.5 in lower than the other. The dealer noticed it in my barn when he dropped it off and told me to check the tire inflation, but it slipped my mind. I thought it sat crooked on the barn floor because the floor was sagging, 200 yr old wood floor. But I asked them to check it last month when it went back for service etc last month.

It still seemed crooked when it came back, so I took it onto the concrete by my garage and put a level on the concrete, the top of the rops, the floor of the operator's station, the bucket and a horizontal bar on the loader. The loader and the bucket are definitely not horizontal when the others are. When I talked to them the tech said he lifted the tractor with the bucket, and loosened the bolts on the frame, let it level itself and retightened the bolts, and that it must have slipped again. They will come out sometime and try again with a bigger wrench, but I am wondering is there usually this much play in those bolts or the holes they go in??

After the comments in another thread about bellhousings that sounded like putting a lot of stress on the tractor with the loader frame was a bad thing, I have started to be a little worried about the situation. Any general information about loader to frame issues would be appreciated, since I am somewhat clueless. Thanks everyone!
On my L3010 I took the loader off and hooked it back up a month or so later. The ground was fairly even, but a little soft. When I hooked it back up I noticed the bucket was uneven when I loaded it on the trailer with the lip of the bucket down. Not sure if my situation is the same as yours, but would be interested if you find the reason yours is crooked and if you find a cure.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok, so I did some of the suggested tests, and the Tesla award goes to Kenny! Or at least part of the problem is due to the rear tires. Here's what I did, and pictures attached because without pictures it didn't happen right?

Measured the height difference at the lip of bucket on concrete, all 4 wheels on same piece, 1.5 inches.

Measured the height difference at the lowest pt of the loader where it meets the bucket, 0.9 inches.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=2226

Put a level on the concrete, the bucket, the loader cross piece, and the bracket that makes up the brush guard. The loader and the bucket are way out of level, the bracket slightly out of level. The concrete is pretty level.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=2225

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=2224

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=2227

Then, per Ray's suggestion, measured cylinder rams, and they seemed to be equal in length, pin to pin. Didn't see anything else that "looked" like it could be out of whack.

Finally, the tires:

Measured the air pressure in the front tires, both equal at 38 lbs.

Tried to measure the air pressure in the right rear tire: moved tractor until the valve was at 12 o'clock, left it sit for 15 minutes (watched the Preakness), got a pair of pliers to get cap off, applied gage and got a geyser of coffee colored fluid. Decided I needed more info about measuring pressure in filled tires. Thought that wasn't supposed to happen. Maybe you use the little point to clear the valve first? While googling that idea I ran across the piece of information that you can estimate pressure in filled tires, or other big tractor tires, by measuring the distance from the ground to the top of the rim in the center. So I tried that, and sure enough, that length is 35 inches in the left rear tire and 34 3/8 inches in the right rear tire, about 5/8". Moved tractor and rechecked, and difference was again about 5/8".

So I think that that tire is part if not all of the problem. I am kind of disappointed that they didn't figure it out at the dealer's (the bill was quite scary :eek:), but maybe it has two problems. The tech said that the bolts slipped quite a bit when he loosened them and retightened when the bucket was holding the tractor. The problem is, if he did that when the tire was underinflated, if I fix that problem is it going to be out of whack the other way???

And then there is the problem of fixing the tire, I am doubtful my dinky compressor used to inflate car tires etc is going to muscle through the RimGuard or Espresso, which ever was used, to inflate it. And do I need to take some of the RimGuard out first? Hopefully the dealer will feel obligated to solve this since it came that way.

Anyway the piece of information that is useful to other folks is to check the tire pressures all the way around, and that it is way easier to measure the distance from ground to upper rim than to mess with filled tires, especially when the valves are inconveniently located on the insides of the wheels.

Thanks everyone!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If the tire valve is at 12:00, there should be no rim guard. If there is, its overfilled. Airspace is needed to cushion ride somewhat. You could air it up with a bicycle pump. Air pressure is less than 30 psi if im not mistaken.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Yes I agree with TJ, there should be no rimguard at 12:00. The reason the front tires don't really matter here is that the front axle pivots so a lower pressure in the front tire won't really show in the frame.

Sounds like your close to a solution anyways :)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Not sure how they fill tires, if the tractor is on a lift, no weight on the tire, the level in the tire may rise above the valve stem when the tire is supporting the tractor. Air pressure might fill the top and push the level below the stem, but low air pressure would fill less volume and might allow liquid above the stem. Stem at 12:00 for all cases.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sheepfarmer, I've followed your post since you first came to the forum. You amaze me with your mechanical competence.

Some have an attitude that women are not at home in the realm of fixing or maintaining things. You study, learn and post your findings to help others. You are an asset to the forum!

Glad to see you're coming to a solution to the uneven bucket. I would suggest to report back to your dealer, informing them of this episode and how you came to figure out the problem. Maybe they could learn from it, and probably show you even more respect when you communicate with them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thank you for the compliment D2, I find the greatest pleasure in learning new things and in sharing them. My biggest source of frustration is no hand strength left, and coordination is going down the drain too. I would like to have had more practical experience growing up, and I envy those whose parents taught them how to do stuff from the ground up. But I can still climb up on my bota :D:D:D.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Some have an attitude that women are not at home in the realm of fixing or maintaining things. You study, learn and post your findings to help others. You are an asset to the forum!
I've noticed the same about sheepfarmer since she came on the forum.:cool:

Very well said, Cat.;)