best way to cut around pond

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
best way to cut around pond - pics added page 3 (#25)

We have a large pond (5 acres)that I would like to maintain the growth around. One side is a slight hill, but the other is much steeper, maybe a 30 to 40 degree angle.
Our tractor is a b3000 cab model with fel and a backhoe (if they matter for weight).
I have been looking at videos of sickle mowers and I am assuming this may be the way to go but,,,,,,,,does any members have other suggestions?
I would prefer to not end up in the drink.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...does any members have other suggestions?
I would prefer to not end up in the drink.
As long as their is no Alligators in the pond, I'ld say get some strong portable fencing, Goats of a breed that do not like to climb or jump fences. They'll keep it trimmed easy. Just rotate the section of fence every few days? to another part of the pond.

Some folk actually hire out their goats just for this purpose.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Ok, build away. Sickle mower, hydraulic motor a couple cylinders and a quick attatch for the loader. Brackets,teleccopic boom to hang mower off front of machine. Then you can at least see it to mow. Intense build, but practical.

We built a sickle mower to hang off the front of an airboat for weed control
The rice tray was adjustable, to mow just below water line.

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
A sickle-bar mower would be the least expensive, I think. However, a rig like Bulldog has would be more flexible. And Tooljunkie has a good point if you need to watch the mower while maintaining your resolution to not wind up in the drink: hang a sickle-bar mower (or some such) on the front, and if you need reach, hang it on a praying mantis-type arm. (Good luck with that! And hope your pond isn't all overgrown before you get the fab finished!)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
tooljunkie were you harvesting rice with that rig??

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Pay attention to the highway roadside mowers. Many are equipped with a counter weight so you can operate on a steep hill side and not tip over.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
tooljunkie were you harvesting rice with that rig??
Not myself personally, have a few friends that harvest wild rice. Havent paid for wild rice in 20 plus years.
I help with building,modifying and repairing the harvesters. Get to fly out in bush plane ti work in them. May go harvesting this fall.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding,, I found a big flat covered with rice last year and ask one of the guys in town about getting some,,, he looked and said DONT MESS WITH IT, asking why he said that only the natives are permitted to harvest wild rice and any white caught will wind up with their nuts in a vice,, So I left it alone,, No desire to wind up a foul of the law in a forging country if you understand :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
As long as their is no Alligators in the pond, I'ld say get some strong portable fencing, Goats of a breed that do not like to climb or jump fences. They'll keep it trimmed easy. Just rotate the section of fence every few days? to another part of the pond.

Some folk actually hire out their goats just for this purpose.
Sheep don't tend to jump fences and do just as good a job...do I have a deal for you :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Up here the lakes are leased. Nothing preventing the aboriginals from harvesting, other than them being so remote. And what they harvest with canoes isnt an issue.
The one rice lake has a nice cabin- cell booster and satellite tv. Is a home away from home.

My apologies to op, waay off topic.

Dont know your local regulations, some will spray to kill weeds and burn off once a year.

Last edited:

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Back on Topic. .. have you tried a bushhog and backing down straight to the pond where the tailwheel touches the water and then driving forward up the cut path. reposition beside your last cut and back straight down where the tail wheel touches the water again. then coming out in your cut agin. May want to add weight to your bucket and keep it lowfor more stability. HST is nice in this situation! start where you feel comfortable and dont go anywhere you think you may slip or worse flip. R1's are better for this type mowing. Before you start walk the terrain and mark with flags any holes that may cause an upset. may want to consider atleast filling them in before you cut that area. i hope this helps!

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
I have the industrial tires (r1??) on the tractor. The tires have almost no wear on them, so the bite should be good. I will get a couple of pond pics once the snow melts out a bit to show the angle. I'm concerned about "sliding" into the pond if I back down. I guess that's a drawback with a cab unit, if you go in the drink, no quick way out. The hst would make it easy to back down, pull up. I do find the tractor to be really responsive.. It's another learning curve for a city slicker.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have the industrial tires (r1??) on the tractor. The tires have almost no wear on them, so the bite should be good. I will get a couple of pond pics once the snow melts out a bit to show the angle. I'm concerned about "sliding" into the pond if I back down. I guess that's a drawback with a cab unit, if you go in the drink, no quick way out. The hst would make it easy to back down, pull up. I do find the tractor to be really responsive.. It's another learning curve for a city slicker.

You'll learn about them R1's soon enough...:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think you'd be "plumcrazy" to try to mow a pond dam backing down to it and pulling up. Why? One mistake and you're "in the drink".

How much will it cost you to get your tractor out and then drain all the fluids?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am with D2 on this, 30 to 40 degrees sounds way too scary, life is too short as it is. If sheep don't appeal, how about mowing the easy areas and what you need for convenient access, and then put in some nice perennials and low growing ground cover that can help keep the weeds and brush under control and hold the ground where it is steep? I did this next to my driveway where it is too steep for the mower. Takes a couple of years to fill in, but most of it is entirely maintenance free. Usually there are friends, neighbors that can give you cuttings so you don't have to spend a fortune. Also there are parts of my yard that I can't mow, and string trimming it once a summer is adequate to control the annual weeds and grass. (Not as much fun as with a tractor, but if it is only once :eek: )

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm with d2 and Sheepfarmer on this. Had a customer almost roll his brand new "L" trying to Bush hog backwards down a hill to his pond to clear a path. As soon as his back tires dropped over the edge he had one of his rear tires drop into a burro. Front end popped up. Bush hog kept him from going over backwards. But he had to slosh a mile through the mud back to his barn to get his hands and his large tractor to get the bota back up onto hard ground.
We used our horses to keep the grass down around one of our ponds. Had it fenced to keep them out, but a couple times a year we would open it up and let them have at it. Once we led them in, they pretty much stayed there till it was scalped. With five of them it didn't take very long.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
A while back some one on here posted pics of a push mower they had rigged up to hang out 4-5 ft beside the tractor, using the 3 pt to raise it up and down. Can't remember who it was, it's been awhile.