Time for change

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Stabilworks, and specifically the customers, have been good to me. At the same time, it has gotten overwhelming. Originally, I started building telescoping stabilziers to fill in my income and because I enjoy building/fabricating/designing things.
As word of mouth has spread, business has picked up. Until this past summer, I would typically have a couple sets a week to build, with that number sometimes rising and sometimes dropping. Then, in June, it started picking up. I would get more oders in than what I could build in a day, so my customer list would stay at 20 or so, and I couldn't catch up. While the orders ebb and flow in a week, I am now at 35 orders, and I'm concerned. The rate of orders is not diminishing, or staying steady, but growing. I am getting further and further behind.
The customers, in almost every case, are willing to wait. They are fantastic. But, my conflict is this; I am a youth pastor, and I am employed 3/4 time at my church. That time commitment is sort of fluid, but it is also my priority (second to family). I have been spending 60 and 70 hours a week in the barn building stabilizers, though, and I haven't had the brevity to give the proper time to my church job. So, after time and prayer, I have shut down Stabilworks. I will fulfill all of the current orders, and if you have contacted me and we have started discussions, I will still be around to fulfill that. I am also willing to serve customers who have heard through word of mouth. I just have to get a handle, and keep one, on the rate of orders.
I believe that I will also change directions a little. I will take the most popular models- like the BX series and the L series, to name a few- and build some sets. I will then put them on ebay with a buy it now price, in the same price range that I have been selling them currently. That way, they are already built; I won't have people waiting on me, and I won't have that pressure on my limited time. I will also built some sets for unique situations, like the John Deere 5 series, or like the set that I just built for a Ford 650. Stuff that isn't available anywhere, is very custom, and will fulfill a niche need. Again, though, I can build those at my leisure, not in conflict with my church job.
Why am I bringing this up? Because I value every person that I've done business with, and I recognize that they have depended on me. I also appreciate the kind words that have been expressed here on OTT, and I want to be available to members here, who have a unique need or have a question that I can help with. I have garnered a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to 3 points and stabilizers, and I don't want to box that up and not use it to help others.

I hope this comes across correctly- I'm tired from staying up all night with a church member in the hospital. Which is the kind of stuff that has to come first. My website is now down, so I figured saying something now may head off questions. I am not trying to toot my own horn, or advertize the business. There is no business to advertize now. I am still a member of OTT, and I am here to help if I can. Does that make sense, or should I go take a nap?

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Hodge, you have said it well and I think you have said it clearly. Family and Faith need to come first and we all have to have priorities in life. While it is great that your products have been so successful, success can have its price as you found out. Nobody can blame you for deciding to step back, take a break and get all the other parts of your life back to a place where you are not stressed out all the time. Good Luck and keep up the good posts here on OTT.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
From my point of view, your efforts to keep everybody happy is a massive task. I was in a similar predicament a few years back, installing remote starters from the first signs if snow until the end of january. I burned out. Dont think i will ever recover.

A man cannot work tirelessly without getting tired.as said family and faith are your priorities. The ebay thing seems like a good plan,restricting the amount of time spent building the parts.

I made a hard choice too, the opposite though. Quit my full time job to work full time at home repairing cars and some light fabricating and machininig. Like yourself i have earned the respect of many people in my community for the work i do. I think your work is by far more significant than what i do.

For those that dont understand, they probably never will.

Firescooby

Equipment
2010 BX2660, Ansung B2405, Kubota MMM, LMC BB
Jun 28, 2014
Cleveland GA
I respect you for your decision...God and family ALWAYS come first.

I am also VERY glad I already placed my order.

Thank you

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I agree yith everyone else!

You came across clear concise and respectful. You are right in setting your priorities. You can not burn the candle at both ends and the middle for long before everything/one, including yourself, falls apart, (been there done that).

As already mentioned, those that do not understand probably never will.

Wishing you and yours fair winds and following sea's. :)

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I can only echo what others have said; best of wishes.

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
I count myself fortunate to not only have one of your wonderful products but to have also talked with you. You expressed yourself beautifully and have an excellent handle on priorities. All the best!

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
May God bless you and your endeavors! I also count myself fortunate to have a set of your stabilizer bars. Your post was quite well stated and we all wish you the best in everything you do! Ed B

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Stabilworks, and specifically the customers, have been good to me. At the same time, it has gotten overwhelming. Originally, I started building telescoping stabilziers to fill in my income and because I enjoy building/fabricating/designing things.
As word of mouth has spread, business has picked up. Until this past summer, I would typically have a couple sets a week to build, with that number sometimes rising and sometimes dropping. Then, in June, it started picking up. I would get more oders in than what I could build in a day, so my customer list would stay at 20 or so, and I couldn't catch up. While the orders ebb and flow in a week, I am now at 35 orders, and I'm concerned. The rate of orders is not diminishing, or staying steady, but growing. I am getting further and further behind.
The customers, in almost every case, are willing to wait. They are fantastic. But, my conflict is this; I am a youth pastor, and I am employed 3/4 time at my church. That time commitment is sort of fluid, but it is also my priority (second to family). I have been spending 60 and 70 hours a week in the barn building stabilizers, though, and I haven't had the brevity to give the proper time to my church job. So, after time and prayer, I have shut down Stabilworks. I will fulfill all of the current orders, and if you have contacted me and we have started discussions, I will still be around to fulfill that. I am also willing to serve customers who have heard through word of mouth. I just have to get a handle, and keep one, on the rate of orders.
I believe that I will also change directions a little. I will take the most popular models- like the BX series and the L series, to name a few- and build some sets. I will then put them on ebay with a buy it now price, in the same price range that I have been selling them currently. That way, they are already built; I won't have people waiting on me, and I won't have that pressure on my limited time. I will also built some sets for unique situations, like the John Deere 5 series, or like the set that I just built for a Ford 650. Stuff that isn't available anywhere, is very custom, and will fulfill a niche need. Again, though, I can build those at my leisure, not in conflict with my church job.
Why am I bringing this up? Because I value every person that I've done business with, and I recognize that they have depended on me. I also appreciate the kind words that have been expressed here on OTT, and I want to be available to members here, who have a unique need or have a question that I can help with. I have garnered a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to 3 points and stabilizers, and I don't want to box that up and not use it to help others.

I hope this comes across correctly- I'm tired from staying up all night with a church member in the hospital. Which is the kind of stuff that has to come first. My website is now down, so I figured saying something now may head off questions. I am not trying to toot my own horn, or advertize the business. There is no business to advertize now. I am still a member of OTT, and I am here to help if I can. Does that make sense, or should I go take a nap?

Hodge,

we all understand ------- perfectly !!!
keep your head up and slow down!!!!!!!

best wishes!

still like to catch that lunch some time! :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well said, and I'm glad you will be able to "stop & smell the roses"; from my dealings with you, I know you deserve it. The fact that you need to take these steps is testament to your expertise, honesty, work ethic, & fantastic customer service…. many, many businesses would love to be in your situation!
On a selfish note, I'm glad I was one of the lucky ones who was able to score this fabulous product! Best wishes, Mark!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Here is another twist to consider as a Christian man. Put someone to work. Find a young adult taking welding classes or recent graduate, a young mother or father with welding skills. Teach them hard, quality work. Have them produce these items. Eventually sell them the rights/plans etc.

Feed the hungry and they eat today, teach them to fish and they eat forever.

Don't care what religion (or not) what stands before you is a potential legacy that can continue long after your gone.

(course maybe you've done that before... for all I know your a retired Industrial Arts teacher)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Best of luck to you on your endeavors. I'm one of the unlucky ones who hadn't got there order in. Will definitely keep and eye out in the future for your products.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Here is another twist to consider as a Christian man. Put someone to work. Find a young adult taking welding classes or recent graduate, a young mother or father with welding skills. Teach them hard, quality work. Have them produce these items. Eventually sell them the rights/plans etc.

Don't care what religion (or not) what stands before you is a potential legacy that can continue long after your gone.

(course maybe you've done that before... for all I know your a retired Industrial Arts teacher)
No, I'm not a retired industrial arts teacher, although that is a very admirable profession. I have passed some of what I do on to some of the young men in our youth groug; I will continue to, whether it centers around stabilizers, or welding and fabricating in general. I appreciate your input- knowledge is best when it is passed on.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY

That's exactly what I was thinking when reading OP post. Hodge, I don't think the good Lord would have lead you down that path and to such great success as a mistake.....maybe that's a prime opportunity to put some of those youths you work with to work? Maybe there is someone in your church who needs (or is going to need) a job to put food on the table, etc. There may be a young man or woman in your youth group that needs that job, skill, direction, responsibility to turn their life around or set them on the path The Lord has in mind for them.

If you do decide to build more stabilizers, put me down for a set. I've got the OEM Kubota ones but they are starting to bend on me. I hammer them straight and they do it again. When I was straightening them last week I was thinking "maybe I'm gonna need to look into those Hodge sells" lol. At any rate, if you do, I'll pay for a set tomorrow or next month or next year. Not trying to ask / talk you into making a set for me, just saying if you ever make a set that's not spoken for, you can as good as know my money will be headed your way.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Hodge, glad you're putting family, health, and faith first.

All the best to you as you slow down.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It can indeed be a bit overwhelming at times to juggle two different professions at once. Especially when one is alot more time consuming and has added pressure of the general public.

And I think you're doing the right thing by taking a break and focusing on what matters most to you.

I was honoured that you had came to me and we had a chance to conversate about your delima, and I'm excited to hear you're not completly giving up.

I think I might be one of the lucky ones whos recieved their stabilizers personally from Mr. Hodge.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hodge you know I think things happen for a reason, with out getting kinds of mystical and stuff. And youhave done well and as always family comes first, then what ever follows. Ya done well my friend, and like a few others have said the Lord may well have a plan for you, and those you teach,, Just MHO you understand ;)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
God Speed Mark, that had to be a tough desicion to make! I've been very close to the same decision before with the hook business till I got help, and still have second thoughts about the custom Kubota orders I do since it's so time consuming.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Great read and the decision you have made is a tough one but you have placed things in the most important order of priority. God, family, and the rest. May you be encouraged by the support you receive here, from your family and your church. You have been given some great talents and you are very wise to use your time for its own calling. -Ephesians 4:1.