What do you do during the national anthem?

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
When I was a young lad in school (hope I don't sound too old) we used to do the "pledge allegiance to the flag". Growing up I always stood, took cap off if I was wearing one (forgot sometimes, oops) and hand over heart. I never really gave it much thought but at least thought I was grateful to be in a country where I could do, or become, anything I pretty much wanted.

Then my son entered the military..... I have never experienced more anguish, frustration, uncertainty, hopelessness and sadness in my life. It was an eye opener. Not because something was wrong or because I hated something, it was because I was introduced to the every day life of a soldier in combat.

The "blackouts" when someone in the unit was killed and they did not want anyone notifying the family before the military honor guard could arrive at the families home. The IM messaging that suddenly goes quite because you find out they are under attack and your soldier has to leave whatever he is doing immediately. The stories from you daughter-in-law that managed to get a video connection to my son that ends with "gotta go", the video stays on and she watches his quarters shake from the explosions going off too close. The phone call from my son asking if I could file a claim for his lost belongings destroyed when his neighbors quarters took a direct hit and his quarters looked like a sieve because of all the shrapnel that went through it. His unit was lucky they were out on maneuvers (left 1 hour before) or a lot of them would not be here now. There is so much more I could say about the extended family I have gained from my sons units but this post is already getting long...

Suffice it to say I started to dislike people that I thought were disrespecting the flag until I realized that I was just as ignorant as them not too long ago. Now I simply mention to the ignoramuses "would you be talking and disrespectful if that flag was draped over a soldiers coffin?". They usually shut up and show respect.

I always stand, remove cap if present, put hand over heart and thank god for the brave men and women that give me that opportunity to do so.

When I recognize a past, or present, veteran I always thank them for their service...

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
When I was a young lad in school (hope I don't sound too old) we used to do the "pledge allegiance to the flag". Growing up I always stood, took cap off if I was wearing one (forgot sometimes, oops) and hand over heart. I never really gave it much thought but at least thought I was grateful to be in a country where I could do, or become, anything I pretty much wanted.

Then my son entered the military..... I have never experienced more anguish, frustration, uncertainty, hopelessness and sadness in my life. It was an eye opener. Not because something was wrong or because I hated something, it was because I was introduced to the every day life of a soldier in combat.

The "blackouts" when someone in the unit was killed and they did not want anyone notifying the family before the military honor guard could arrive at the families home. The IM messaging that suddenly goes quite because you find out they are under attack and your soldier has to leave whatever he is doing immediately. The stories from you daughter-in-law that managed to get a video connection to my son that ends with "gotta go", the video stays on and she watches his quarters shake from the explosions going off too close. The phone call from my son asking if I could file a claim for his lost belongings destroyed when his neighbors quarters took a direct hit and his quarters looked like a sieve because of all the shrapnel that went through it. His unit was lucky they were out on maneuvers (left 1 hour before) or a lot of them would not be here now. There is so much more I could say about the extended family I have gained from my sons units but this post is already getting long...

Suffice it to say I started to dislike people that I thought were disrespecting the flag until I realized that I was just as ignorant as them not too long ago. Now I simply mention to the ignoramuses "would you be talking and disrespectful if that flag was draped over a soldiers coffin?". They usually shut up and show respect.

I always stand, remove cap if present, put hand over heart and thank god for the brave men and women that give me that opportunity to do so.

When I recognize a past, or present, veteran I always thank them for their service...
Bravo sir. Thank you, your son and his family for their service.

2018Bx

Equipment
BX2380V
Sep 13, 2018
GARDINER, ME
Let me say I am sorry if I bought the wrong brand of tractor but I am annoyed by statements that say people do not have the right to express their opinions by whatever means available in the USA. Football players have a podium because the media thinks the National Anthem is a video opportunity to make some of you guy swole as they scan the pre-game line-up. If you give someone a podium, they will express their opinion. Some gun nuts create their own podium by shooting up innocents. Some burn flags. Some vote Republican. I think the kneelers are less harmful to society than the gun nuts and gop voters who happen to be the same folks.

Holleyman

Equipment
Kubota B6001, Caterpillar 252B, AM General M813A1, Ford 8N, Komatsu PC30
Sep 25, 2013
80 acres in Athabasca AB
Let me say I am sorry if I bought the wrong brand of tractor but I am annoyed by statements that say people do not have the right to express their opinions by whatever means available in the USA. Football players have a podium because the media thinks the National Anthem is a video opportunity to make some of you guy swole as they scan the pre-game line-up. If you give someone a podium, they will express their opinion. Some gun nuts create their own podium by shooting up innocents. Some burn flags. Some vote Republican. I think the kneelers are less harmful to society than the gun nuts and gop voters who happen to be the same folks.
Ahhh, the beauty of a free country. You have the freedom to state your opinion and I would defend our freedom of speech at all costs. I also have the freedom to think and say your post has some statements that are pure horse fertilizer.

Oh, welcome to the board. We are still a community despite our differences.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ahhh, the beauty of a free country. You have the freedom to state your opinion and I would defend our freedom of speech at all costs. I also have the freedom to think and say your post has some statements that are pure horse fertilizer.

I was just thinking this thread took a turn like tractors and suspensions

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Here’s one to make some of us smile! 1991. I SANG it at the then RCA Dome. It made me smile to FIND this old pic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

I was thinking the same thing. Well said.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
2018Bx, "Let me say I am sorry if I bought the wrong brand of tractor but I am annoyed by statements that say people do not have the right to express their opinions by whatever means available in the USA. Football players have a podium because the media thinks the National Anthem is a video opportunity to make some of you guy swole as they scan the pre-game line-up. If you give someone a podium, they will express their opinion. Some gun nuts create their own podium by shooting up innocents. Some burn flags. Some vote Republican. I think the kneelers are less harmful to society than the gun nuts and gop voters who happen to be the same folks."

What does you possibly buying the wrong tractor have to do with the subject, or your comments?

I guess this forum allowed you got on your podium to make your opinions known. Your condescending remarks tell me about your attitude and how you respond in a group you don't know.

Your confusion about folks who shoot innocent people being gun nuts is a very broad statement. Maybe you should use the words "mentally unstable" in relation to these folks. They also use other tools to do their destruction.

If the "gun nuts and gop voters" offend you, be sure to state that when you ask a question here on the forum so you won't be taking advise from someone who offends you!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I never shot anybody that didnt shoot at me first, never burned a flag, stand with my hand over my heart when the Anthem is played, voted for the "Don" and some say a gun nut.
And like bikes I don't care what color/ brand your tractor is as long as it does what you want, its all good. And if you want to protest thats cool just not on my dime or time.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Well Said.
2018Bx, "Let me say I am sorry if I bought the wrong brand of tractor but I am annoyed by statements that say people do not have the right to express their opinions by whatever means available in the USA. Football players have a podium because the media thinks the National Anthem is a video opportunity to make some of you guy swole as they scan the pre-game line-up. If you give someone a podium, they will express their opinion. Some gun nuts create their own podium by shooting up innocents. Some burn flags. Some vote Republican. I think the kneelers are less harmful to society than the gun nuts and gop voters who happen to be the same folks."

What does you possibly buying the wrong tractor have to do with the subject, or your comments?

I guess this forum allowed you got on your podium to make your opinions known. Your condescending remarks tell me about your attitude and how you respond in a group you don't know.

Your confusion about folks who shoot innocent people being gun nuts is a very broad statement. Maybe you should use the words "mentally unstable" in relation to these folks. They also use other tools to do their destruction.

If the "gun nuts and gop voters" offend you, be sure to state that when you ask a question here on the forum so you won't be taking advise from someone who offends you!

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Public events,

Hat in my left hand, heart in my right.

At home, I go into the kitchen and reach into the fridge with my right hand and grab a beer!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Here’s one to make some of us smile! 1991. I SANG it at the then RCA Dome. It made me smile to FIND this old pic!!!

OK. You got my curiosity peaked. Tell us a little more about this picture.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yooper, you must have missed a post a couple of months ago. He alluded to it there!! But maybe he'll oblige. Very interesting.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
OK. You got my curiosity peaked. Tell us a little more about this picture.

This was after my CD came out in 1990 - “Jimmy Ryser” - and Jim Irsay was a fan. I was a MINOR one hit wonder but I loved singing the anthem. The cheerleader was signing it while I sang. My favorite anthem that I sang was at the Brickyard 400 in 2002 where we had 350k + in the Indianaoliis Motor Speedway and 72 million viewers. It was scary because as I was walking out to sing, Tony Stewart said “Don’t F up Ryser!” and smacked my butt. Some good times that I’m truly grateful for!!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh wait.....Jim.....you ARE in the photo.!.!.!..

I was more focused on the "scenery".....:D[emoji3]

Seriously, very cool!

I remember when your song became a hit!

For me, I don't tend to put hand on heart as I do for the Pledge, but lid off and hands cupped in front, facing flag.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry Bubba I was to busy looking for camel things,, yeah I looked again your there :D

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Lol I’m dying Bc I was looking for the camel as soon as I saw that pic! [emoji23][emoji23]. Oh wait! That’s me in that pic too!! She did an amazing job with the sign language tho. It’s interesting singing in a huge venue as a solo - you hear “Oh say can you see” while you are singing the next line.