Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - it looks great! :)

I love the demolition part - I'm good at it!!:cool:
Should of youtubed my wife when I told her she could start hitting the drywall on the soffit :D I have never seen her so giddy :D:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Should of youtubed my wife when I told her she could start hitting the drywall on the soffit :D I have never seen her so giddy :D:D
Ha!!

When I tore the kitchen out - pulled everything to floor joists - was looking at the cellar floor 7 feet down.

Didn't want to fill my roll-off with old cabinets - put them out front with a FREE sign. All left by someone picking them up.

I helped a guy load several, and had more to go later. Told him come back later.

I was all nicked up. Last couple came out of the house just as he came back. One tall pantry cupboard never touched the ground - was loaded on a hand truck in the house, and rolled right out to his truck, with these big blood smears on both sides from my hands!!:eek:

He took it, and never saw any of them again!!:cool:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ha!!

When I tore the kitchen out - pulled everything to floor joists - was looking at the cellar floor 7 feet down.

Didn't want to fill my roll-off with old cabinets - put them out front with a FREE sign. All left by someone picking them up.

I helped a guy load several, and had more to go later. Told him come back later.

I was all nicked up. Last couple came out of the house just as he came back. One tall pantry cupboard never touched the ground - was loaded on a hand truck in the house, and rolled right out to his truck, with these big blood smears on both sides from my hands!!:eek:

He took it, and never saw any of them again!!:cool:

Mine were built in place and now a bed of coals :cool::cool: we would love to do a complete tear out and redo, but that's not in the budget. So we're gonna work with what's already there for cabinets. :D

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
RCW, we used quartz countertops for many positive reasons and will always recommend them. One being that it's smooth and NOT porous.

Daren, we're rooting for you! You can tap us for help & ideas along the way if you get stumped. Look forward to seeing that wall opened up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've been wrong before, but that doesn't look like load bearing framing to me :confused:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's over the doorway :)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I agree, doesn't look like load bearing. Looks like standard opening and corner studs/headers.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's a bunch of wiring to reroute!
It won't be too bad. The outlets will get pulled and rerun through the knee wall. The kitchen and dining room light will have new drops put in the section of wall staying by the fridge when I switch to temporary lighting so we can finish scraping the ceilings. Then the existing wires will get pulled.

Haven't figured out where we want to drop the wires for the living room light switch yet.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It won't be too bad. The outlets will get pulled and rerun through the knee wall. The kitchen and dining room light will have new drops put in the section of wall staying by the fridge when I switch to temporary lighting so we can finish scraping the ceilings. Then the existing wires will get pulled.

Haven't figured out where we want to drop the wires for the living room light switch yet.

Whatever you are doing, looks good from my end! YOU are a master !

Now - if I showed my wife that....she'd have a cow! WHEN I did mine, she was gone for 6 days.....I thought the vacuum was on at least 3 of those days.....:)

she is a dust and neat freak!:D:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Whatever you are doing, looks good from my end! YOU are a master !

Now - if I showed my wife that....she'd have a cow! WHEN I did mine, she was gone for 6 days.....I thought the vacuum was on at least 3 of those days.....:)

she is a dust and neat freak!:D:)
It's gonna be stressful before it's over. My wife has it pictured in her head what she wants but can not communicate it :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Better find some pictures. Kinda like going to the hairdresser, take a picture of how she wants to come out of there!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's gonna be stressful before it's over. My wife has it pictured in her head what she wants but can not communicate it :rolleyes:
You got that right, pal!!:eek:

It always gets worse before it gets better, but the important thing is that it WILL get better!:D

Like D2Cat said - look at lots of pictures. Try to get her to sketch it out on a floor plan.

Others may have some suggestions, too.

Last edited:

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
You got that right, pal!!:eek:

It always gets worse before it gets better, but the important thing is that it WILL get better!:D

Like D2Cat said - look at lots of pictures. Try to get her to sketch it out on a floor plan.

Others may have some suggestions, too.
x2 on that and remember: when you reach the point where you're both tired of the construction mess and ready for it to be over... you're about halfway done! :)

-- Carl

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I went back and looked at your pictures. Couple thoughts -

Push the whole part adjacent to the living room(?) out. Maybe make the dining room side your breakfast bar.

Is your stove gas or electric? If possible, either move the existing stove up against a taller wall to cover the back, or if you can swing it, look at some of the newer designs that have controls in the front, and don't have the tall control board in the back. Many of those also have convection ovens, which are very nice.

Leave the Breakfast Bar at countertop height, like I think Slimshadie said. That way, the whole surface is one height and can be wider if you want, because you need to have an overhang on the seating side (ours is 12"). Makes for more efficient use of the countertop. They do have shallow cabinets for that purpose, which would leave the width consistent with the other counters. Ours is that way, with the backs of the cabinets finished.

Always remember the position of the refrigerator, stove, and sink to each other. They say a triangle pattern is handy. Don't know if that's really the case in a small kitchen like mine, or yours.

Good luck, my friend!!:p

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I went back and looked at your pictures. Couple thoughts -

Push the whole part adjacent to the living room(?) out. Maybe make the dining room side your breakfast bar.

Is your stove gas or electric? If possible, either move the existing stove up against a taller wall to cover the back, or if you can swing it, look at some of the newer designs that have controls in the front, and don't have the tall control board in the back. Many of those also have convection ovens, which are very nice.

Leave the Breakfast Bar at countertop height, like I think Slimshadie said. That way, the whole surface is one height and can be wider if you want, because you need to have an overhang on the seating side (ours is 12"). Makes for more efficient use of the countertop. They do have shallow cabinets for that purpose, which would leave the width consistent with the other counters. Ours is that way, with the backs of the cabinets finished.

Always remember the position of the refrigerator, stove, and sink to each other. They say a triangle pattern is handy. Don't know if that's really the case in a small kitchen like mine, or yours.

Good luck, my friend!!:p

I've been trying to talk her into keeping the counters flush ;)

the stove is electric, so changing location isn't an issue. The stove was a flush mount, but burned up a couple years ago. Sent her to town to get another one and she bought a standard stove. She didn't want to spend the money for the flush mount :rolleyes: She doesn't like the glass tops, but I may just pick one up if it's in the budget and ask for forgiveness later :D

I would like to compromise with her on the counter tops. She wants it raised to be able to add outlets which are in short supply. I'm in full agreement there :) But I'm not really digging the height she wants to go too :rolleyes: So the compromise would be to raise the bar area just enough to add outlets :D If..... she will go for that ;)

She's easy to shop for!!!! Here's her Mother's Day present :) She wanted a table saw, and a few other things to go with it

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
She wants it raised to be able to add outlets which are in short supply.

Here's her Mother's Day present :) She wanted a table saw, and a few other things to go with it
There's other ways to get outlets. We have one at the end of our island in the end of the cabinet. Another good pic attached. I think they do need to be GFCI protected.

She's not your mother, I hope your son is paying for the saw!!;)

Attachments