Fabricating power shoot control for a BX5450 snowblower

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I scored a good deal on a new BX5450 this weekend for my BX1860. The only drawback is it's manual shoot control which won't work with my cab...well, to be fair it could but I really don't see myself using a wonky crank handle attached to a $15,000 tractor with a $3,500 snowblower.

So, the plan is to use a power window motor and a linear actuator to get full control over the snow.

For the left to right action I've ordered a power window motor for a 02 Ford Crown Vic. I choose this one because the output shaft mates to a standard socket. I plan to weld a shaft on the socket and that shaft will sit in the same hole the handcrank rod currently resides.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301665587813?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

For the up and down motion I ordered a 4" linear actuator. This one comes with the brackets which should make installing it a bit easier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112053551895?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I picked up a small project box and a couple of DPDT momentary switches to control the motion.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111476556235?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

While I wait for the parts to be delivered I started the wiring. First I tapped into the terminal strip I already had installed for my cab to the right of the battery. On this strip I have Ground, Battery positive and ignition switched positive off a 30amp relay (relay is tucked just above the strip).

I routed the cables out with the lines that go to the FEL. I put a 4 pin connector in right at the hydro connections so when I remove the blower and the quick hitch they all disconnect in the same place.

I'm also making individual connections at each motor so if I just want to disconnect just the blower and leave the quick hitch attached I can do that easily.

I was all over the map on what to choose for a controller. I wanted a single joystick but decided against it because of the additional relay's that would be needed would introduce another opportunity for failure. I ended up keeping it simple with two DPDT momentary switches that will not require relays and come with a rubber boot. I found a very small (going to be a pain to wire) project box that fits nicely on the cover at the base of the FEL control lever. Not the best looking but it put's the switches in a great ergonomic location so my left hand can stay on the wheel and the right can do all the controlling.

Obviously the fun part starts when I get the rest of the parts but it's a start.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
My BX5455 came with hydraulic chute rotation and I added a linear actuator for chute deflection. Occasionally the chute has frozen in position and I have to rotate it back and forth to break it loose. With your electric window motor you might want to check and break it loose before starting out.
Have you read the threads that recommend mounting the linear actuator with the shaft down to prevent leakage into the actuator housing? Some type of housing or enclosure for window motor would probably be good also.
I like your switch mount. Do you have room to turn the rotation switch so you are operating it left to right?

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Well if the hydraulic driven shoot freezes up I'm sure the electric powered one will do it even more often. I packed grease on top and under the lip on the shoot in the hopes it displaces some water. That whole setup on the Kubota blowers is really underwhelming to be honest. I would have expected a better design for that kind of money.

I hadn't read about mounting the actuator piston down but that makes sense/thanks.

Tooljunkie, thanks and you're right; the wiring is time consuming to do a clean job but reliability is key.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
For as much 12 volt electrical i have done, its never as easy as it looks. In my case it was a lot of years of under dash work. Tractors dont provide many options for mounting switches and routing wires.

Now its building brackets,and trying to make them look like they belong there. Looking forward to seeing the end resilt.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Re: Fabricating power chute control for a BX5450 snowblower

All my goodies arrived today so I got into it planning to make a little progress after work which turned into a lot of progress and wen't into the night.

I started by taking a 19mm socket and welding it to a small section of 3/4" electrical conduit. That conduit sleeves over the input shaft on the blower. I drilled out a hole so I could run a nut and bolt through the whole assembly and engage the screw that turns the chute. I also cut out a piece of 1/8" plate and drilled it to mount to the existing bolts for the back of the blowers screw mount.

I made a separate plate that mounted to the window motor so I could have complete control over the angle it would meet the other plate. I could have bent a piece but that would have made a weak spot so I opted for the two piece welded route.

Here's the bracket completed and mounted to the motor.

The linear actuator was super easy to do. The 4" stroke seems to be perfect.

Here it is as of now, fully functional. Tomorrow I'll pull it apart and give it a coat or 3 of that beautiful orange paint to finish it off. Once complete I'll post up a video of it in action but it's smoother and faster than I had expected so I'm a happy guy!

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Looks great! I started a thread a couple weeks about adding an actuator to my blower chute. Actuator is on its' way but I'm a little stumped how the switch will be wired (I'm an electrical dummy). The actuator is only a two wire, so how do you successfully wire that to a 6 pole momentary switch? That's the part I can't figure out. Do you have any pics of how you wired it?

Also does the ground/neg wire from the actuator go all the way back to the battery, or does it just get grounded somewhere? Don't mean to clog up your thread with these questions, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with some help! Thanks for any assists yall!

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I won't judge your electrical knowledge if you don't judge my Microsoft paint skills :)

Just follow this and let me know if you have any questions. The blue and purple wires that cross over to the opposite pole of the switch is what reverses the current; hence reversing the motor.

To answer your ground/neg wire question, remember there really is no negative/ground when you are doing this. The black will see both negative and positive current depending on the position of the switch. Unlike most 12v stuff BOTH connections for the motor will go directly to the switch.

And don't worry about clogging my thread because your not clogging it. I post threads like this to help others. Forums have helped me so much over the years I do what I can to contribute back.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
tcrote - great install, and thanks for the tutorial!!

Much appreciated!

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Any specific gauge wire I should stick with in your opinion? I'm just doing the chute actuator, so the inline fuse I bought has 10 gauge wire. It looks as if the actuator wire is much thinner, so should I use 10/12/14/16? Does it matter too much? TIA again!

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I used 16 for all my wiring (I buy it by the 50lb spool so I have plenty kicking around) but would be comfortable going as low as 20 gauge. 16 gauge is more than enough to supply both the power window motor and the actuator simultaneously. Just make sure your fuse amperage stay's below the safe operating range for the length and gauge you choose. A 10 amp fuse will cover you with 16 gauge wire nicely.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Watched your video.

Again, very nice!!

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Re mounting switches. On my tractor I use a winch to turn the chute on my rear blower and I made a slide on extension handle to slide over the the 3 point lift handle to mount the switch. I used the factory switch that came with the winch and it works great as your hand is usually on the lift lever. If I had a electric deflector I would mount that switch there also. I just take the handle off for the summer and put it behind the seat.
Al

kupitz

Equipment
BX2660 with LA243 FEL and Front mount BX2750 snowblower/2763A heated Curtis cab.
Mar 28, 2016
New Providence, PA
Looks good, going a slightly different route myself. I have the Kubota electric motor for rotation that I want to eliminate. Going to convert that to a hydraulic motor to use my loader valve to rotate and then a 12V linear actuator to control the chute deflector. I can use the same switch and wiring as the motor and no extra wiring needed. I'll post up photos when I am done in a few weeks and then will also have an electric chute motor to sell to hep pay for the other parts which shouldn't run more than $100 total. Already have the hydraulic motor just need hoses and some metal for bracket and coupler and the linear actuator.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Re: Fabricating power chute control for a BX5450 snowblower

All my goodies arrived today so I got into it planning to make a little progress after work which turned into a lot of progress and wen't into the night.

As noted in my own build thread, I tried to steal your idea. The motor I got came with a plastic gear:

Mine is supposed to fit a wide range of Lincolns, Fords and Mercurys from 2003 to 2010. The part number is WR842255, but when I google that I get a lot of images with metal gears so there must be multiple manufacturers using the same generic part number. I suggest anyone intending to make a coupler from a socket like you should verify the gear material with a vendor before ordering. I think the plastic will not stand up to the uneven loading.

Alternatively, I came up with a way to make a splined coupler for my plastic gear here.