Everything was going good until.... Buzzzz

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Yeah, for some reason, my iPad wasn’t pulling up the whole thread- all I was getting was last week posts. After I posted, it brought up the rest. Hazards of being new maybe. Lol

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
3-4 stings would have killed me....

I wear a hat when on roofs mainly as a weapon. Bat them down and stomp. Little bastards love making nests in RTUs, disconnects and the lips of flashing on parapit walls.

Most chemicals I have on van kill them. Aerokroil, Carb cleaner, Contact cleaner, especially coil cleaner. Start washing a coil and they come buzzing just hose em down with liquid death!

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Swatting with a hat or using some type of pressurized spray from a can is fine on smaller groups.

I was dealing with a MUCH too large group. As I wrote previously, when I went back to locate the swarm after the initial attack, the swarm on the tree was a solid mass around 3 feet in diameter containing, in my estimate, around 800+ of the devils.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I spend a good bit of time on a tractor brush hogging all sorts of properties in and around central OK. Supposedly the smartest (and absolute hardest) thing to do when confronted with wasps/bees is to stay still. Every fiber of our being says to strike at the threat but that only makes them more likely to attack or to attack more. Wasps, unlike a bee with a single stinger, can sting again and again. In the instances where I managed to stay still, I've never been stung because they didn't really know me from the big orange chunk of steel that was the tractor. In the other instances, human nature and/or hubris took over and I was certain I could swat the thing out of mid-air with my hand or a hat. And when I missed, I regretted it!

I'm curious if anyone has tried this or can corroborate?

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I've heard the same and I know from previous experience with ground bumble bees that they do go for movement. When in the past I hit them while shredding, I kept on driving and lots of them land on the tires and tractor: BUT, at the same time I also got hit by the ones that found me.

The instance I'm talking about in this thread was a little different. With the FEL down, the outriggers on the ground, the boom and dipper of the BH reaching out to maximum extension, I couldn't drive away. And, they were "finding" me even before I shut down the tractor and made a run to try to lose them.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I watched a professional exterminator work a large bald faced hornets nest in my neighbors yard a few years back. This petite young lady hopped out of the truck around 7 or 8 pm...still light outside with a pump-up one gallon tank sprayer. She walks up to the nest just like she owned it and started poking the wand through the sides of the nest all over and spraying it. She strolled back to the truck and drove off. About 5 days later she came back, bagged the nest, snipped it off the branch, tossed it in the back of the truck and drove off.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Wonder what kind of magic poison she used. The suckers I encountered, you definately would not have walked up to the nest. At any time before total darkness, there were a couple of hundred swarming around doing their thing. Any disturbance at all and they would have attacked.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had a customer from Conn about 15 years ago. I asked him what he did for work ? He said he removed hornets and bees and folks paid him to do so. He had a vacuum to suck them up with. Then he would put them in a bag and freeze them. Then when he got a pound of one kind, yellow jacket, white ass wasp ect, he would sell them to the lab that made the anti-sting epi pen. He said each bee or hornet species had a different price. Some bees were $800. a pound but some hornets were $3000. a pound. One of the oddest jobs I'd ever heard of.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
DANG, I threw away money by getting rid of them (the tree was taken out by the doser operator, yes he has a cab).

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
Dawn dish washing liquid mixed heavy in water. Kills them, believe it or not. I kill red wasp and yellow jackets with it all the time. You don't have to worry about pets, kids, fire, etc..
I have used sprays, gas, diesel, WD40,etc, but I use dish washing liquid mostly now.
Wasp spray can temporarily blind you.... so.... don't tell the wife. [emoji23][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk