Magnetic block heater, do they work

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
I just called my local deal and they said all they sell in the magnetic block/oil pan heaters. Do these work? I wanted to put a regular block heater in my M7950dt cab but can't seem to find where it goes.
Do these work?
thanks Todd

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
They do help but only a bit. Depends on how cold you expect it to get and whether or not it is inside out of the wind.
They are usually low wattage and really only help with keeping the oil warm for good circulation along with a block heater to warm the block. I would try to find a spot for a block heater or maybe a circulating heater, or as a last resort a bottom rad hose heater. People swear by them but I have had several and they work poorly because they need to circulate through the radiator and the thermostat keeps the water from circulating through the block.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just called my local deal and they said all they sell in the magnetic block/oil pan heaters. Do these work? I wanted to put a regular block heater in my M7950dt cab but can't seem to find where it goes.
Do these work?
thanks Todd

The oil pan heat works fine, finding a spot that it can smoothly hook up to is another problem, and keeping it from getting knock off - unless it is a flat pad.

The real thing about those, they heat the oil, which is fine, but the engine still has to fire and run so the warm oil can get through the engine.......

the better answer is a water jacket (block) thus the warm water ALSO circulates through......then again warming the fuel helps too.....

andthing is better than nothing ...........

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Years ago we tried them on our equipment at the quarry and they were all but useless. That said it was much larger engines like V12 Detroits and they were out in the cold and wind. We even tried putting one on our grease barrel that was inside (not heated though) and it made hardly any difference again.

If it were my money I would go with a standard block heater and be done with it. Installed correctly they work very well. $.02

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I tried one on my last year and it was completely useless. Made no difference at all and it ended up falling off and I burried it where it laid with my FEL. :D

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
Good memory wolfman, yes I tried to install a block heater but ended up pull The freeze plug but it had oil not coolant in it.
I saw that some others had the same tractor and was hoping they could help and the dealer telling me to use a magnetic heat attached to the block.
So I thought I would try one more time. this is the last not freezing weekend most likely so I thought I would look into the block heat or spend the extra cash and get the heater from the dealer

According to kats it would be in the front or right side
Any help would be appreciated Thanks Todd