Block heater

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
I want to add a block heater, what do you recommend, I have an older m7950
Was just thinking of adding a magnet heater or even just getting an oil dipstick heat
What do you think
Thanks Todd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
Thanks wolfman, I ordered it today. your always helping me out still haven't figured out that fel thing
Thanks again for your help

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Second the prior poster wrt using a lower radiator hose heater.

The best I've found and what we use (several around the place) is Kats by Five Star Manufacturing. Looks like a red 'T': you cut the lower hose and install it using supplied hose clamps; the leg of the 'T' is the heater element, much like a miniature home water heater.

Works like a charm. Had one unit fail and 5-Star sent a replacement no charge.

Bundle the cord and restrain to the machine with a cable tie so it doesn't drag the ground or snag something while the tractor is being used.

Others brands and models exist. O'Reilly's will cross a part number to come up with a silver aluminum clump looks like a softball with two ports. Poorly made and lower heat output than Kats.

We run ours at least 2-hrs in a closed shed (no wind sucking heat from the cast iron block) when planning a start under 40F. Can use a timer too. If planning to move early we just leave it plugged in overnight sometimes. We're conservative in how we treat our engine; others may argue no need to preheat even below freezing.

Your glowplugs cycle based on a sensor reading coolant temp. At -10F after heating our gp's cycle 'on-off' in about one second and the tractors will light fast and easy.

For cold weather also consider installing an onboard battery maintainer trickle charger, such as Schumacher. Avoid Harbor Freight as junk. Cold weather starts with warm engine and full battery are never a problem.

Pulled oil pan from old Ford PU and found where magnetic sticky heater had burned a ring of crusty oil inside the pan. Never had any luck with dipstick heaters as not enough heat output and heat didn't travel up into block before start, same as magnetic.

One thing: to make getting the heater out without damaging the hose (someday the heater may fail before the hose does, someday, any such heater) smear the hose ends of the Kats red 'T' with a dab of plumbers silicone waterproof grease--sometimes called stem grease. Just be sure it's silicone, not hydrocarbon-base 'grease'. I give a buck for a tablespoon full in little flip-top pillbox container and it's almost a lifetime supply. Also good for lightbulb bases especially in outdoor sockets.

Please post back how your proceed so we may all learn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing: to make getting the heater out without damaging the hose (someday the heater may fail before the hose does, someday, any such heater) smear the hose ends of the Kats red 'T' with a dab of plumbers silicone waterproof grease--sometimes called stem grease. Just be sure it's silicone, not hydrocarbon-base 'grease'. I give a buck for a tablespoon full in little flip-top pillbox container and it's almost a lifetime supply. Also good for lightbulb bases especially in outdoor sockets.
That is some excellent advice!:cool:
I would like to add that silicone grease is also good on any electrical connection, it helps keep water out and corrosion to a minimum.;)

ToddC

Apr 3, 2011
Hastings, MI
Ok I ordered the frost plug heat that wolfman linked, but can't find where to install it. The plug is only threaded, when I looked it up on the Kat's website it says install in front.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it can't go in the front with the moving belts, is it possible the frost plug is threaded??
Please help
Thanks Todd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take me a couple pics, right, left, right front, left front and I'll try and point it out, sometimes it requires a tee install form a sensor hole.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No not the oil pan, it goes into the water jacket of the motor.

Sadly it doesn't look like you have the 3/4" threaded plug on yours, but I can't see the top where the top radiator hose comes from the motor, that's where mine fit on my D950.

I think your going to have to measure your freeze plugs on the side of the block and see what size they are.