Better Fuel Filter Options for a BX

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I ripped out the primary fuel filter on a BX23 and ran the fuel line to the fuel cutoff and filter that is mounted on the inside of the FEL support column. From there, the fuel line runs back to the original fuel pump, and then to the original secondary filter in the engine compartment. Has worked well for 2 years with no indication of debris or water in the fuel bowl.

Attachments

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Do people really have problems with their fuel delivery? I got a stock bx24 and have about 900 hours on it. I put on over 100 hours a year mowing, tilling, moving dirt, and snow blowing. Bought it with 400 hours on the clock and I've replaced the fuel filters twice. I've never had a gelling issue (and I've moved snow at -20) I due use power service and drive to the gas station for fuel.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Do people really have problems with their fuel delivery? I got a stock bx24 and have about 900 hours on it. I put on over 100 hours a year mowing, tilling, moving dirt, and snow blowing. Bought it with 400 hours on the clock and I've replaced the fuel filters twice. I've never had a gelling issue (and I've moved snow at -20) I due use power service and drive to the gas station for fuel.

Fuel quality is all over the page between stations and geographic areas. I was replacing the first inline filter on my ZD mowers too frequently to suit me - twice per season (about 300 hours per season).
I replaced the first filter with a large spin on Cat 2u filter, which has been on for over 600h now.
I do filter my fuel out of my transfer tank. Anyway, for me it's a matter of convenience and saving time.
Here's my 326 filter:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Here is mine***8230;
Uses the factory Kubota filter assembly: 6A320-58862

(https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-6A320-58862-Complete-Gasoline-Assembly/dp/B007S1P7X4)

OR

(https://www.messicks.com/part/6a320-58862/fuel-filter-assy)

Very easy to install and I placed mine where you can get to it easy, but keep it out of the way and safe.

This will probably be your cheapest and easiest solution to the crappy OEM filters. You could even use 2 of them, placing one before the pump, and one in the engine bay after the pump.
I do like your solution as it keeps the filter under the tractor belly better. Not exposed as much like the other filter kits. Still have to get under and change, but looks easier than the original to change. Question, am purchasing the underside shield from Bxpanded. Will your filter clear and work with that shield installed raised, if you know? This shield removes easily for access to that area. I would probably remove the OEM shield as no longer needed with the aftermarket shield.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Do people really have problems with their fuel delivery?
well to get fuel fromt eh tank to the engine on a BX23S is 'fun' to say the least and getting a 'shard' of plastic out of the tank is NOT FUN !
Once the warmer weather comes, I'll spend a day rerouting the filters and lines,similar to the 'online kit' idea. I KNOW I'd have paid an extra $200 to NOT have to dissassemble 1/2 the tractor to remove the tank and crawl under it to get the filters replaced....

cantractor

Equipment
BX2370 FEL, Tiller, Blade, 60" Mower
Mar 13, 2016
Prince George, VA
Filter upgrade <--- Video

I've had a few times where it would act like it is starving for fuel, sputter and die. This would be after long use on a hot day. I changed out the filters and sometimes it would fun fine, other times it would be no changes. After cooling, I could run the tractor and accomplish what I needed done. With the filter underneath and my limited mobility, I found it best to do the L-series mod and put it under the hood. Other mods I saw the location forward of the FEL mount, but this doesn't seem like a good location. Fast forward to yesterday. Even after the mod, conditions were susceptible to the previous issue, and it proved true; hot, long run, seemed to be starving for fuel. I checked the filters, and it didn't seem dirty. I decided to try some sea foam and ran it today. It got to a starvation point, hot day, and running it for a while. I started to give up, but started it again and it ran fine. So, I don't know if sea foam was a fix, or just cleared itself up. I'll continue to run it, but I got a new fuel pump on the way. ($18 on Amazon, $200 at the dealer, I don't understand it) If I need to explain more or clarify, let me know.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Filter upgrade <--- Video

I've had a few times where it would act like it is starving for fuel, sputter and die. This would be after long use on a hot day. I changed out the filters and sometimes it would fun fine, other times it would be no changes. After cooling, I could run the tractor and accomplish what I needed done. With the filter underneath and my limited mobility, I found it best to do the L-series mod and put it under the hood. Other mods I saw the location forward of the FEL mount, but this doesn't seem like a good location. Fast forward to yesterday. Even after the mod, conditions were susceptible to the previous issue, and it proved true; hot, long run, seemed to be starving for fuel. I checked the filters, and it didn't seem dirty. I decided to try some sea foam and ran it today. It got to a starvation point, hot day, and running it for a while. I started to give up, but started it again and it ran fine. So, I don't know if sea foam was a fix, or just cleared itself up. I'll continue to run it, but I got a new fuel pump on the way. ($18 on Amazon, $200 at the dealer, I don't understand it) If I need to explain more or clarify, let me know.
$18 and $200 fuel filter may even be made in the same Chinese factory!

SgtMise

Equipment
BX2370, Land Pride RB0548, Titan Implements 48" Rotary Cutter & Landscape Rake
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
Hello folks, A lot of great information here. I have a BX2370 and also considering relocating the fuel filter for ease of maintenance. However, I am wondering if 2 fuel filters are really necessary. I see many who relocated the one from underneath still use both even if they install a much better quality filter. Has anyone gone to only one very good quality filter? If so, where was it located , before or after the fuel pump?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
safety in numbers ? 2nd filter for my BX23S (sister of the BX23xx..) is after lift pump,just before inj pump.
To remove it, you'd have to replace 2 fuels lines with one. seems a waste of time and some money.
also 2nd filter is easy to see to confirm you have clean fuel.
the filter upgrade has a shutoff...THAT is important,as crawling under the tractor can be a PITA for us older,er, seasoned, folks.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
safety in numbers ? 2nd filter for my BX23S (sister of the BX23xx..) is after lift pump,just before inj pump.
To remove it, you'd have to replace 2 fuels lines with one. seems a waste of time and some money.
the filter upgrade has a shutoff...THAT is important,as crawling under the tractor can be a PITA for us older,er, seasoned, folks.
worthless.png

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Like he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^............... that's the easy one to see and change - ifn need be

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello folks, A lot of great information here. I have a BX2370 and also considering relocating the fuel filter for ease of maintenance. However, I am wondering if 2 fuel filters are really necessary. I see many who relocated the one from underneath still use both even if they install a much better quality filter. Has anyone gone to only one very good quality filter? If so, where was it located , before or after the fuel pump?
You HAVE to filter BEFORE the mechanical pump......... and STILL smart to filter again BEFORE the injector pump.....

Better to filter too much than not enough.

If not all of us - most run a line from the tank TO the FRONT then run the line BACK to the mechanical pump THEN back to filter #2

2020-10-19 17.57.54.jpg
2020-05-13 18.30.14.jpg

Reactions: 1 user