Mod rear blade to box blade

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK somebody in here and i dont remember who or where, posted of pic of a rear blade he converted to a box blade. Removable side wings and a top brace of some kind, does anybody remember cause i would like to get an idea of metal and how it was attached and how the top piece was attached,,, yeah I know it shouldnt be to hard. But I would like an idea afor I start scrounging stuff

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Is this it................
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18239&highlight=modified+rear+blade?

These plans are linked in that post, not a conversion but a box blade build none-the-less.
http://www.green-trust.org/junkyardprojects/FreeFarm&GardenPlans/BoxBlade.pdf

Came across this thread started in 2013, looks like it stopped in 2015, but lots of neat stuff in there....
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12965
Not what you are looking for,
but it would be nice to revive this so Mods are in one place, like the "What did you DO" thread.

Always wondered why threads like these are not "stickied" so they are always on top and do not become forgotten?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Always wondered why threads like these are not "stickied" so they are always on top and do not become forgotten?
Ask and you shall receive........ usually even before you actually ask for it. :p though I'll admit you motivated me to update that sticky today.

Check out the " Ultimate Fabricate/Customize Sticky" at the top of this and each section of this Bulletin Board. One sticky with good links is far cleaner way to do it than bunches of stickies that clog up each sections front page.

Have started putting categorized links to fabrications (Cab builds, Engine Mods, lighting, etc) Members would just have to let me know which particular threads are worthy of putting into that sticky.

PS- there is now a box blade build link in there that has not been mentioned in this thread yet

Last edited:

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
Check out my site album for a picture of the mod you want.
Only takes a couple square ft. of 1/8" sheet metal plus one
crossbar, four bolts, four angle brackets, and 2 holes drilled in the top
corners of the existing blade. Remove the two outside bolts on the back
blade for lower mount of box blade sides.
Contact me for better pictures if needed. Unit can be removed or installed
in minutes.

Moderator note: Adding links to pics in his album for easier access

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=298&pictureid=1783

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/album.php?albumid=298&pictureid=1784

Last edited by a moderator:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep thats pretty much what I was looking for, if you have any other pics of it could you please post them. If I see it right,you have skids welded to the side boards?

KRT

Jun 25, 2015
Ohio
Mine has removable sides but was not a modification, the entire rear blade assembly was built from scratch. The sides have flanges formed around the back of the blade and bolt on with 4 carriage bolts. Flanges formed at the bottom of the sides to help the blade 'float'. There is a 1" round rod at the top front of the sides that bolts between the sides to help stabilize them.

Optional rear casters when needed bolt on the same carriage bolts. Can also add 4 ripper shanks in front of the blade when needed using 2 pins.

Hope this helps with some ideas.

Attachments

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
Yep thats pretty much what I was looking for, if you have any other pics of it could you please post them. If I see it right,you have skids welded to the side boards?
I do have skids both sides. They are set so that the cutting bar is 1/4" below the skid surface. No more adjustment is necessary.

In the picture you can see the top angle bracket. The bottom brackets are the same using the outer holes in the cutting bar. I used 1/2" bolts. I have used
this unit for 5 years on my BX23 with no problems or distortion. The skids are
the same length of the side plate. 2x2x1/4". Weld on some 1/4x2 flatbar on the
bottom of the skids. Weld the ends only. They can be replaced as they wear out. My driveway is 3 tenths of a mile, 4 or 5 passes each time I clean up the
road. The skid pad is only half worn down. Also tapper the leading edge of the skids.
Hope this helps. I can take more pics. Advise what you need.
BX23 TLB
Richard
Construction Millwright
Bend, Or.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
look at a few OEM units to see how they do there scarifier's. Then you can take the info provided here and figure out how you want to add scarifiers into your design.