1.33 acres, heavily wooded and overgrown... Need advice on a tractor purchase!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My 6'-4" (even at the 225# I was back in 2002) wasn't comfortable on a BX. My grandad would have said I "looked like a toad on a mullein leaf" had he been alive to see me sit on a BX.

That's when I bought a Kubota B7500 and it served well for 10 years on our 2-1/4 acres. I had one MMM on the first tractor , but ever since have used RFM's

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
re: size. I am 5'7" and find the BX very comfortable.

That said, I think the seat is most of the way back and the tilt steering is as far "up and away" from me as possible 95% of the time. I could see it topping out for guys >6' tall.

(FWIW, don't buy a 1880 as it has no tilt steering and a few other creature comforts are left off this model.)

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Interesting thread.

Technically “I” own about 2 acres. The family trust owns 68 additional acres that abuts mine on 3 sides, mostly wooded with copious trails and areas that need mowing once or twice a year. We heat half the house with wood and so did my father before he passed.

Wife and I are the only ones who actually live there so I maintain the whole 70 acres. So do I “need” a tractor? Heck, yeah I do. If I only maintained my 2 acres I honestly don’t think I’d need a 47hp L. A B or LX would be more appropriate. The L is too big and heavy for much yard work and certainly too big and heavy for routine lawn mowing. Yeah, I could put a 10’ batwing finish mower behind it to mow the yards but I’d have ruts in the lawns and a lot of weedeating to do after mowing.

For one off stuff where you need a forestry mulcher or mini-ex, renting a large piece of equipment may make sense. For ongoing maintenance of trees, brush, trails, yards, gardens, etc. renting isn’t as attractive or practical.

When I bought a new tractor I went in with a budget, including implements, of $100K. Looked at skid steers, tele-handlers, tractors, ToolCats, mini-ex’s anything and everything. First, defined the one time jobs, then the recurring jobs. Considered the fact that I’m getting old enough that some stuff I used to get by manually doing just ain’t happening going forward, I have limited time because I still work about 50 hours/week, and I have virtually no reliable manual labor aside from my self and my similarly age wife. Ended up buying what was needed. Not what was “cool” at the time or what I could “get by with”: what was needed. Already had an acceptably capable ZTR for the lawns.

There are times it would be nice to have a backhoe but for the $9K it cost when I bought the tractor and limited uses I had for it, renting or hiring out those jobs made more sense. Loader with SSQA to swap between forks, grapple, and bucket was a necessity. Quick attach loader that can come off for mowing tight areas is a big deal for me. At this point I don’t know how people survive without a forklift.

Bottom line for your needs, I’d lean toward a large B or small LX and the suggestion to sit on them and/or rent one for a few days to try it out if you can is good advice, particularly if you don’t have prior tractor experience.

Only problem I had with the dealer was I don’t think they ever fully understood what exactly I had to do with the machine or the topography upon which it had to be done so their recommendation was too small. Fortunately I had enough prior experience with the land and tractors to know that. The local JD dealer was a bad experience. Dealer support is a big deal and not to be overlooked when picking a brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Update:

I test-drove a BX2380 last night, it felt very small, like I had to reach down to the steering wheel... It somehow felt smaller than the JD 1025R and the NH WM25s, even though they should be roughly the same size.

They didn't have any B tractors on the lot, and they didn't know when they were getting any in. He also said the B tractors are shipping without front-end loaders and they are back-ordered, no idea how long that wait would be, after an unknown wait for the B tractor itself.

There was an LX3310 on the lot which I tried out, that felt a little too big... So, somewhere between the BX and the LX seems appropriate for operation/feel. That leads me to believe the B2301 or B2601 would be ideal from an operator's comfort perspective. I still want to test drive one though, not going to just order blindly...

Also, after trying the BX with a 60" MMM, I felt like that wouldn't be ideal for our property. A 48" rear finish mower seems more maneuverable in some ways, and less in others... But they didn't have any in stock and LandPride has suspended production with no indication of when they would ship...

The common theme here: things are hard to get still and no idea when they would come in lol

They were definitely guiding me toward the BX2380 - it's on the lot and they can sell it today rather than having to order another tractor. But, I just couldn't see myself paying $18,688 for the BX after riding on it for 5-10 minutes. For only a little bit more, the B2301 would give me more hydraulic lift capacity, greater ground clearance, 3 gear HST, greater 3ph lift capacity, and position increments rather than 3ph 1/4 inch adjustments in height.
That all seems worth the extra few dollars. But again, I still want to test try the B 2301/2601. I guess I'll need to call around other dealerships and see if anyone has one in stock for me to try out. The issue is, there aren't many Kubota dealers within a 300-mile radius of me!
The 1025 felt like a larger tractor than the BX because it is. It is closer in size and capability to the B01 series than the BX.

keep dealer support in mind when picking a machine. It is what would drive my decision for which brand I chose. I have two kubota dealers within 20 minutes of me. The closest Deere dealer is 45 minutes to an hour away.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I'm (only a little) surprised someone didn't suggest the new Kubota M8.
Look, I am not tractor expert (not by a longshot) and the guy obviously has a pretty good idea already
what he wants/needs, so those suggesting HUGE tractors for a guy with 1.33 acres are
(imo) doing him a disservice.

Otherwise.....yeah....buy an M8 (I'm kidding, I'm kidding !)
You may need to use up add't acreages to turn it around, but you'll have more power (insert 3 Tim Taylor grunting noises here--RUH-RUH-RUH)
1661449322058.png

• Haha

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
You'll be a lot happier if you spend that mower money on an ordinary riding mower. Let the tractor do tractor work. Messing with a MMM or even a rear mower is going to get to be a royal pain very quickly.
I hate to agree with this suggestion, but, I must.
I lived it.

I started with a JD garden tractor/riding mower, when that proved insufficient for the tasks at hand, I bought my Kubota B2601 with the 60"MMM to handle tractor work and mowing duties. I really had no complaints with the mowing quality and the B2601 did a better job mowing than my JD riding mower. However, the MMM had to be removed often for tractor work which proved to be a pain. Plus, the cost. The MMM attachment was more than the riding mower, lol.
In the end, I needed a bigger tractor and that forced me to get a dedicated mower anyway.

If you are considering to purchase a mower for your tractor (and 1.33 acres)....I highly recommend a MMM instead of the RFM. The MMM is much easier to maneuver!

The only real argument against having a dedicated mower and a tractor is maintenance and upkeep on two separate machines. However, I much prefer two machines than one. Its just more convenient assuming you have enough storage for both.

Mike

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buy a nice high quality zero turn with flip up deck for mowing. Less trim work, less time spent mowing, easy to service, wife might enjoy using it, last for years.

Reactions: 4 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Buy a nice high quality zero turn with flip up deck for mowing. Less trim work, less time spent mowing, easy to service, wife might enjoy using it, last for years.
If he's planning on seeding the area after cleaning out the unwanted trees and vines and such.. he's going to wish he had a ZT trimming around the rest of those trees.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Rent a tracked skid loader with a forestry mulcher to do the initial clearing as mentioned earlier - the few thousand up front will save you many hours.

My recommendation is an LX2610 or L series. I have almost an acre with an LX and while it is overkill, it does what I need it to do and very quickly. I've also lifted and moved stuff with it that a BX or B wouldn't lift or move. When I weighed out my options, I strongly considered the B2601 or BX, but for the extra few thousand, I have a full CAT1 3pt and more than enough power/capacity for my needs. Whatever you do get, spend the money up front and get the rear remotes and third function as they will come in very handy.

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
If he's planning on seeding the area after cleaning out the unwanted trees and vines and such.. he's going to wish he had a ZT trimming around the rest of those trees.
I was actually planning on just laying mulch or wood chip down on the trails once they are cut through the woods.
I'm surprised by how many people are recommending zero turn mowers for only about 1/4 acre of lawn...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The only real argument against having a dedicated mower and a tractor is maintenance and upkeep on two separate machines .

Hasn't been an issue for me, since time and wear is split between them. Key benefit is having one machine available if the other is in for service or breakdown. Also allows someone else to mow the lawn to their perfection, while you're out 'doing chores'.....

re: At this point I don’t know how people survive without a forklift.
YES..17 years ago I bought one, best value for the money..it actually paid for the BX23S.
One of those work smarter,not harder things.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I was actually planning on just laying mulch or wood chip down on the trails once they are cut through the woods.
I'm surprised by how many people are recommending zero turn mowers for only about 1/4 acre of lawn...
For a 1/4 acre I wouldn't spend that kind of money, I wasn't sure if you planned on trying to grow grass or just mulch everything. I've got over 50 fully mature trees and always picking up limbs. I do not use my tractor for this, I use my golf cart and a 4x8 trailer. But when the big stuff comes down from storms or maybe topping them I use my forks.
I don't blame you for wanting a larger tractor who doesn't! I wish I would have gotten the B but as I said the BX is fine for everything I do. @JimmyJazz had a good point and that really got you thinking! My neighbor has the b series and is around 6'2 no complaints there.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I had a BX before my had my current B and Mx. I burn wood for heat and fell, buck skid stack split all my wood and have done with all three of my machines at one time or another and they all did it just fine…there is no comparison however in terms what does the work. They will all do it but by no means do they do the work similarly in terms of capabiltiy and speed and safety. The BX was fine. I had the BX at my residence which has a small yard and a few acres of woods. From a user standpoint, the BX fits places a little easier, however it has much less ground clearance, which in the woods a couple inches can help. I would also say I am not much a fan of a MMM on a tractor buts it’s the only reason i have constrained myself to either a BX or a B at my residence. That being said a MMM while sometimes in the way, it also protects the underside of your machine. For the pics you shared, if you plan use something in the woods think about some armor to cover the important bits. For the me, the B is a BX with a lift kit(check the specs sheets. Very similar)…they are very similar except the B weighs more(stability) and also lifts (work)a bit more. The B also has split brakes which personally I think it makes the B more maneuverable than the BX (which doesn’t have split breaks). In a garden IMO a smaller machine is helpful. Unless you plan to grade the woodlot after clean up I doubt it’s going to be fun to mow that with a ZT at speed. Whatever you mow with you may also think about a brush cutter/trimmer and try not to get to close and muck up the deck. With a rear mower it’s much easier to mow under branches and low growth. Every option has plus and minus. Anyway I am not sure I am helping much but those were some more perspectives for your consideration.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Rent a tracked skid loader with a forestry mulcher to do the initial clearing as mentioned earlier - the few thousand up front will save you many hours.

My recommendation is an LX2610 or L series. I have almost an acre with an LX and while it is overkill, it does what I need it to do and very quickly. I've also lifted and moved stuff with it that a BX or B wouldn't lift or move. When I weighed out my options, I strongly considered the B2601 or BX, but for the extra few thousand, I have a full CAT1 3pt and more than enough power/capacity for my needs. Whatever you do get, spend the money up front and get the rear remotes and third function as they will come in very handy.
I have an acre and a B2601. I really wanted an LX, but when I saw it in person it was just too big for my uses. The extra lift capacity would be helpful occasionally, but not enough for my uses.

Its really hard for people to provide much concrete guidance with things like these as much of the choice is based on the expected uses. What works for me, may not work for you and trying to make a choice based on canned guidance is impossible.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It's a well worn argument on this site. Some people don't engage in it any more.

There are a set of people who have a ride on of some sort, or a ZT. They swear it's no more expensive than buying an RFM or a MMM, and much faster/better.

There are a set of people who mow with their tractor.

To be fair, most people that I hear mowing with their tractor (of which I'm one) don't necessarily say "it's better." They say they don't want/need two machines (or the wife won't let them have them, or they don't have space), or that they'd rather drive their nice tractor than a crappy ride on, or that if you set your property up right there's no reason that your tractor cannot easily do the mowing (the whole point in having a tractor is to modify your property to suit).

Most people who move to mowing with a zero turn are very happy with it. But they would be - they just dropped a bunch of money on a zero turn. Biased people both ways in other words. I suspect there's no right answer - it's horses for courses, and considerations include money, storage, the terrain you're mowing, how long you want to spend, how many obstacles you have, how flat it is, what sort of grass (if any) you're planting.

For your property I see no reason you need a rotary cutter. I see no reason you need a ride on. I'd personally get a MMM, but a RFM or a flail could also be good options.

I also don't really agree with those who think you need a forestry mulcher to clear around an acre (once the driveway and house are taken out). Yes, it's a bit of work to do by hand, but it's not that much area. It's probably 4 weekends of dedicated work with a couple of people and a chainsaw/brush cutter or whatever other implements you have. It's a one time thing. And I still maintain that doing it slowly and carefully will get you a better outcome than hammering in with a forestry mulcher. You have to work out which trees are staying and which are going, and pull vines/ivy out of the keepers etc etc. There's no real way to avoid a lot of that being manual work, and that's not a bad thing. If it was my property that's exactly what I'd be wanting to do as soon as I settled on it - get in there and start tidying it up.

Reactions: 4 users
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
It's a well worn argument on this site. Some people don't engage in it any more.

There are a set of people who have a ride on of some sort, or a ZT. They swear it's no more expensive than buying an RFM or a MMM, and much faster/better.

There are a set of people who mow with their tractor.

To be fair, most people that I hear mowing with their tractor (of which I'm one) don't necessarily say "it's better." They say they don't want/need two machines (or the wife won't let them have them, or they don't have space), or that they'd rather drive their nice tractor than a crappy ride on, or that if you set your property up right there's no reason that your tractor cannot easily do the mowing (the whole point in having a tractor is to modify your property to suit).

Most people who move to mowing with a zero turn are very happy with it. But they would be - they just dropped a bunch of money on a zero turn. Biased people both ways in other words. I suspect there's no right answer - it's horses for courses, and considerations include money, storage, the terrain you're mowing, how long you want to spend, how many obstacles you have, how flat it is, what sort of grass (if any) you're planting.

For your property I see no reason you need a rotary cutter. I see no reason you need a ride on. I'd personally get a MMM, but a RFM or a flail could also be good options.

I also don't really agree with those who think you need a forestry mulcher to clear around an acre (once the driveway and house are taken out). Yes, it's a bit of work to do by hand, but it's not that much area. It's probably 4 weekends of dedicated work with a couple of people and a chainsaw/brush cutter or whatever other implements you have. It's a one time thing. And I still maintain that doing it slowly and carefully will get you a better outcome than hammering in with a forestry mulcher. You have to work out which trees are staying and which are going, and pull vines/ivy out of the keepers etc etc. There's no real way to avoid a lot of that being manual work, and that's not a bad thing. If it was my property that's exactly what I'd be wanting to do as soon as I settled on it - get in there and start tidying it up.
Thank you for this!

We close on the property next week... I cannot wait to get back over there and start making a plan. I have an arborist coming out in a couple of weeks (he's the director of horticulture at the university where I work). He's offered to help identify the trees, give some advice on what needs to be removed or trimmed back, and offer some suggestions on removal services should we need any.
This is the first step. See what we want to keep.

It could be too dense to get a forestry mulcher in there without damaging the things we're trying to preserve! We just need to see...
I'll also be going in with a tape measure to see if the B2601 will fit in the woods...

I also appreciate the comments on the tractor vs rider vs ZT. I do feel like it's an uphill battle to convince my wife, that we now need two 'tractors'. She doesn't care about the cost, it's more that we would need two machines, and that seems ridiculous to her. I can't really blame her.

I can rent a Billy Goat Brush Mower from Home Depot for $118/day. If I spent a weekend clearing out the brush, that seems like money well spent. Then, I just need to keep on top of it! That's much cheaper than buying a rotary cutter, and would be a bit more maneuverable back there.

The ivy growing on the trees is my biggest concern right now. I need to get that stuff out of there, and it's going to be a very labor-intensive task. The arborist I spoke with already said, "the best way to get that out, cut at the base, dig up the roots, let everything above it die... Next year do it again."

I think it will be a battle for quite some time. The tractor likely won't be much help in that regard, but there is a list of tasks it will be useful for still.

I'm truly blown away by the responses here. I am on many forums for many different things, and based on those experiences I was hoping for two to three people to reply here. So, thank you all!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: tape measure.... even easier, make 2 'walking sticks', 6' tall. One for you, the othe rfor your wife. great for bashing down low lying brush and when held horizontally, give you 6" clearance on both sides of a tractor with 5' bucket.

re; trees. buy some cheap $store 'ribbons'. use them to color code which trees are to be cut (red is dead ?), and where the trails will be (green is good ? ).

re: 1 vs 2 machines. have the dealer show BOTH of you how 'easy' it is to remove and reinstall the MMM ,NOT on a nice paved lot but on lumpy ,bumpy grass or a gravel driveway. I'm betting the $500 rider will look better !

also, take lots of pictures from know reference points, grab the Google map of property.both are handy in the 'kitchen table planning' department.

whatever you decide ,just be careful, have fun and enjoy the adventure...

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
A man only lives once. Get the B2601. If you don't feel it fits your needs after a year or two sell it. lIfe is short. Get the tractor. The B2601. You will enjoy using it and it is far better financially and less complicated than getting a girlfriend if you are married. Sign the papers today and report back.

• Haha
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
re: tape measure.... even easier, make 2 'walking sticks', 6' tall. One for you, the othe rfor your wife. great for bashing down low lying brush and when held horizontally, give you 6" clearance on both sides of a tractor with 5' bucket.

re; trees. buy some cheap $store 'ribbons'. use them to color code which trees are to be cut (red is dead ?), and where the trails will be (green is good ? ).

re: 1 vs 2 machines. have the dealer show BOTH of you how 'easy' it is to remove and reinstall the MMM ,NOT on a nice paved lot but on lumpy ,bumpy grass or a gravel driveway. I'm betting the $500 rider will look better !

also, take lots of pictures from know reference points, grab the Google map of property.both are handy in the 'kitchen table planning' department.

whatever you decide ,just be careful, have fun and enjoy the adventure...
All very relevant! Already have the red/green ribbon ready to start tagging trees! haha
I also work in the geospatial industry, so I have a lot of plans for mapping out the property. Will fly my drone to create an orthomosaic, then georeference the image to be able to plot GPS points of notable trees and other features. That can be overlaid on the site plan we're having drawn up by a local surveyor. It's overkill, but I love maps, and can't wait to start drawing up designs for the property! :)

But... Where are you finding a $500 riding mower??
Even the well-used/questionable equipment on Facebook marketplace or craigslist these days is in the $1000+ range. I'd much rather buy new and know exactly what level of care and service the mower has seen.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
A man only lives once. Get the B2601. If you don't feel it fits your needs after a year or two sell it. lIfe is short. Get the tractor. The B2601. You will enjoy using it and it is far better financially and less complicated than getting a girlfriend if you are married. Sign the papers today and report back.
haha I feel like I would have signed the papers the other day if the dealership I went to had a B2601 on the lot! I'm going to call the guy back today and ask how long it would take to order one.