ZL2202 Tractor won't start...

UKHugh

Equipment
ZL2202 Compact Tractor
Feb 4, 2020
UK
Hi all, I acquired my ZL2202 (grey import) a few months ago. I was very pleased with it (we have around 3 acres of paddocks that need serious mowing and harrowing attention) and it always started and ran fine, but having left it for a couple of months thought I'd get it out now and prep for Spring. However, she won't start - the battery was a bit weak so I've recharged it and it turns over very healthily but just won't catch - it all sounds fine, no bad noises just the sound of the engine turning over and some white smoke coming out of the exhaust (unburnt fuel presumably).

Everything looks ok but I appreciate there might be many different issues that could cause this, I am something of a tractor/diesel novice and would very much appreciate any tips or pointers I could check, that might cause it not to start after a period of storage?

Cheers

Hugh

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Are you using the glow plugs. You might want to hold them a little longer. How cold has it been? You might have a fuel jell situation. You might also need to bleed the injectors. The injectors should be fine but it is possible that they need bleeding.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
While energizing the glow plugs use a voltmeter on them to ensure they are getting power. You may even wish to check that they are intact if getting voltage. If they have a series glow resistor it could have opened or corroded preventing power from reaching the glow plugs. The glow plug switch could have failed. These are all simple things but any one can prevent starting.

UKHugh

Equipment
ZL2202 Compact Tractor
Feb 4, 2020
UK
Hi, thanks both very much for your suggestions - I am using the glow plugs, at least am leaving ignition on, and glow plug light lit, for around a minute before trying to start, but will check them out as suggested and also have a look at the fuel/injectors - fingers crossed and thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Hugh

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
check your fuel filter.

does it have a water cup... to drain?

is there bits of stuff in the filter if it is a sight filter?

you may have algae in your fuel is my point. Maybe drain fuel tank and see how she looks. drain.... not syphon. You need the bottom of tank expelled.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Normally when I hear that a tractor was starting and running really well, then after sitting for some time it won't start, two things come to mind:

Operator error; Like the throttle still in low/off position, stop rod still engaged, or decompression lever/cable engaged, not properly energising the glow plugs, like not turning the key the opposite direction to energise, and possibly mistaking the oil pressure lamp for the glow plug heated indicator.

Equipment error; Most common fuel line leak that will drain down after some time and cause air to get into the system, which kills the ability to "pop" the injectors thus causing a no start condition, crack all the fuel lines at the injectors, set throttle to high and crank (in short to medium crank times) till you get clear bubble free fuel coming out of the cracked lines, tighten and if it starts that is your problem.
fuel condition would be another, if it had questionable fuel in it to start then it might have turned the corner, algee, water, and other debri can cause issues.

This also brings us back to another operator error, "new to diesels" issue, gasoline contamination, seen it more times than I care to count, stick your nose in the tank, if it smells like gasoline (petrol) you need to drain the entire system and put fresh diesel init, and follow the bleeding procedure above.

UKHugh

Equipment
ZL2202 Compact Tractor
Feb 4, 2020
UK
Hi gents, thanks both very much for your advice - I shall work through all the suggestions which all sound extremely logical, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hugh