Zero Turn Mowers

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Paul,
I started out looking for a ZTR but changed to ordering a F2690 after I decided that the terrain of my 5 acres is better suited for the F series.

I have been mowing since 1995 with my Deere 955 compact utility with 6' midmount deck and 5 foot rear cutter for brush. I will continue to use the Deere to mow a few small areas where it will easily and safely cut a steep roadside ditch but the F2690 will be faster and will do a better job when the grass is slightly damp where the heavy front end of the Deere pushes over the grass ahead of its midmount deck causing a very uneven cut. And the flip up front deck of the Kubota will be very easy to clean.

A big plus will be I can pretty much leave the loader on the 955 all of the time instead of taking it off for mowing. No complaints on the Deere because it has been trouble-free except for replacing a few idler pulleys on the deck which seems to be the weak spot; not a big deal except Deere has revised the deck multiple times so it was always an adventure to get the right set of hardware for whatever pulley was current.

I ordered the F2690 with a rear discharge deck in late June and I got a call earlier this week that it is finally in and will be delivered next week. The rear discharge deck on the Kubota will be nice since it can cut up to the edge on either side and the deck offset bias to one side will make cutting the yard along the roadside ditch safer since the tires won't be close to the edge like they are on my Deere. It is also shorter making it easier to go under trees and the up front deck will go in places where I don't have to follow :)

Rodger
I'm looking forward to the "mower has arrived" post!! I can't justify two machines, so B2601 it is for me. But for mowing an F would be really nice.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I'm looking forward to the "mower has arrived" post!! I can't justify two machines, so B2601 it is for me. But for mowing an F would be really nice.
Paul,

I don't know if I can really justify two except in retirement I have a goal of simplifying tasks I like doing but don't want to spend too much time doing and to have equipment that can easily handle the task. It is the same reason that installed a 40 KW diesel standby generator a few years ago because dragging a portable gas generator from the barn to the house in the snow isn't that much fun anymore :)

The Deere 955 does a nice job of mowing but you do have to slow down quite a bit under some conditions to avoid partially cut strips from the heavy weight on the front tires, the engine has plenty of power to go at any reasonable cutting speed but even with high lift blades you have to slow down. I expect the F series will cut a bit off my mowing time and I will enjoy leaving the loader on the 955 except maybe for using the tiller where there are a few places that clearance/turns get pretty tight in part of the garden area.

The dealer is involved with a farm progress show this weekend so I will get an update early next week for the delivery date. I am glad it isn't today with a high of 33 and high winds.

Rodger

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Paul,

I don't know if I can really justify two except in retirement I have a goal of simplifying tasks I like doing but don't want to spend too much time doing and to have equipment that can easily handle the task. It is the same reason that installed a 40 KW diesel standby generator a few years ago because dragging a portable gas generator from the barn to the house in the snow isn't that much fun anymore :)

The Deere 955 does a nice job of mowing but you do have to slow down quite a bit under some conditions to avoid partially cut strips from the heavy weight on the front tires, the engine has plenty of power to go at any reasonable cutting speed but even with high lift blades you have to slow down. I expect the F series will cut a bit off my mowing time and I will enjoy leaving the loader on the 955 except maybe for using the tiller where there are a few places that clearance/turns get pretty tight in part of the garden area.

The dealer is involved with a farm progress show this weekend so I will get an update early next week for the delivery date. I am glad it isn't today with a high of 33 and high winds.

Rodger

IMHO the word "justify" does not generally apply to those of us are old, and retired.
After retirement: If you want it, and can afford it......GET IT!
Under those circumstances, there should be absolutely no need to even attempt to "justify"!

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
fried1765, I agree with your sentiments! I lived well below my means as a full time business prof while doing a lot of consulting on the side and all of the consulting income went into investments so I was easily able to retire at 55. So now I am going to enjoy the benefits of working hard early on.

My university contacted me earlier this Fall and asked me to come back and teach a section this spring and two more in the fall as a professor emeritus which will be fun after 7 years of retirement. I think it is the academic version of having grandchildren, all of the fun without the work of the research and service components I had when I retired as a full prof. And after taxes, those courses cover well over half of the cost of the F2690 so I guess you could say I went back to work to pay for it even though I didn't need to do so :)

Rodger

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
fried1765, I agree with your sentiments! I lived well below my means as a full time business prof while doing a lot of consulting on the side and all of the consulting income went into investments so I was easily able to retire at 55. So now I am going to enjoy the benefits of working hard early on.

My university contacted me earlier this Fall and asked me to come back and teach a section this spring and two more in the fall as a professor emeritus which will be fun after 7 years of retirement. I think it is the academic version of having grandchildren, all of the fun without the work of the research and service components I had when I retired as a full prof. And after taxes, those courses cover well over half of the cost of the F2690 so I guess you could say I went back to work to pay for it even though I didn't need to do so :)

Rodger
It is such a great feeling to be in a comfortable position for our final years..

Reactions: 1 user