Zerk Twerk

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Finally got to my zerks today on my 27 hr 2610. Ever since I first did zerks on my 47 Ford 1 ton...50 years ago have always hated the dam things. This was my first try with a locking attachment for the end of the flexible hose and like I figured it hardly made the job any more easy. I guess there are none under the tractor which is nice. But, I am a big fan of sealed anything that involves dirty petroleum products of any kind. And as a mechanic. believe it or not, among many other things, I have done my share. The loader seemed to work smoother after the job, or was that just wishful thinking?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
What attachment do you have for the gun? I have the lock and lube and couldn’t be happier with it.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Finally got to my zerks today on my 27 hr 2610. Ever since I first did zerks on my 47 Ford 1 ton...50 years ago have always hated the dam things. This was my first try with a locking attachment for the end of the flexible hose and like I figured it hardly made the job any more easy. I guess there are none under the tractor which is nice. But, I am a big fan of sealed anything that involves dirty petroleum products of any kind. And as a mechanic. believe it or not, among many other things, I have done my share. The loader seemed to work smoother after the job, or was that just wishful thinking?
Could be more than wishful thinking. Loader pins are about the least sealed thing on the machine. They love grease like a fat kid loves ice cream. And I was a fat kid so I can attest that’s a LOT. Feed them well and often and they’ll stay happy, healthy, and grit free for a long time. Don’t feed them well and often, the sockets will get worn and sloppy from friction and grit which is bad, bad, bad.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I think you prolly missed a couple under the tractor omh.....brake and clutch for thoughts.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My loader definitely gets quieter after lubing. Your tractor is similar to my B2650, so doesn't it have a zerk under the platform for the brake pedals pivot?

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
Get one of the cordless jobbers and you can hold the hose on the zerk with a latex gloved hand and press the trigger on the gun with the other clean hand.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
What attachment do you have for the gun? I have the lock and lube and couldn’t be happier with it.
It's funny, but not long ago before the Kubota, I changed back to a solid pipe attachment after years of using flexible hose. The problem with all of them is leakage and waste of grease. Because you can use the gun to press down on the zerk (if it not in a inconvenient location that needs a hose) you can put a lot of pressure on the zerk. I experienced less wastage and less mess, which also wastes your time unless you are a slop and don't give a rats azz of grease all over the place. I bought 2 different lock and lubes, maybe this is a cheap one.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am always surprised at the stories of people who have fights with zerk-fittings. I have an ordinary lever-type grease-gun (5 of them actually) and use hoses and ordinary ends and never have any problems unless it’s a failed zerk which has frozen-shut. (In which case it can be either replaced or one of those grease-fitting-rejuvinators you hit with a mallet. I prefer to replace them if possible.)

The collet inside the end of the ordinary grease-gun nipple is the problem for most folks I believe. If it is adjusted properly (and doesn’t have the bejeezus forcefully tightened of it) then it should be a simple and dependable tool. The nipple should be easily adjustable by hand if properly used, such that it will “snap” onto the zerk, feed the grease, then snap off again.

Reactions: 1 users

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
When I saw the Lock N Lube ads I figured just another gimmick. Finally broke down and gave it a try and now own two of the tips and one grease gun from Lock N Lube. Great products. I keep one gun for tractor and the other gun for everything else with gen purpose grease in it. Can't say enough for LNL!. Check the manual for a couple zerks under the platform that you are missing with grease like others stated.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
1618318297982.png

This is the real thing, all others are knock offs. I bought one to try at work, mechanic over a county park and rec division, it has held up great. Bought 3 more to put on the guys guns on their trucks and eventually bought one for home along with a new lever gun from them.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm another happy user of Lock-N-Lube.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I am always surprised at the stories of people who have fights with zerk-fittings. I have an ordinary lever-type grease-gun (5 of them actually) and use hoses and ordinary ends and never have any problems unless it’s a failed zerk which has frozen-shut. (In which case it can be either replaced or one of those grease-fitting-rejuvinators you hit with a mallet. I prefer to replace them if possible.)

The collet inside the end of the ordinary grease-gun nipple is the problem for most folks I believe. If it is adjusted properly (and doesn’t have the bejeezus forcefully tightened of it) then it should be a simple and dependable tool. The nipple should be easily adjustable by hand if properly used, such that it will “snap” onto the zerk, feed the grease, then snap off again.
Yes, the snap usually tells you it is working right. Problem seems not getting that snap sometimes for some reason, maybe adjustment which I haven't ever fooled with as far as my recollection.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
I have two grease guns - one with a lock-n-lube and the old style to reach where the locking chuck won't. There is a locking chuck like an air chuck, but it's $38!!!

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Could be more than wishful thinking. Loader pins are about the least sealed thing on the machine. They love grease like a fat kid loves ice cream. And I was a fat kid so I can attest that’s a LOT. Feed them well and often and they’ll stay happy, healthy, and grit free for a long time. Don’t feed them well and often, the sockets will get worn and sloppy from friction and grit which is bad, bad, bad.
Thanks...good info!