ZD21 Lift Cylinder Leak

Andy42

Equipment
ZD21, L3540
Apr 9, 2018
Robertsdale, AL
I have a 2001 ZD21 with a leaking lift cylinder. Can these cylinders be rebuilt and if so, how are they disassembled?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
That cylinder is no doubt rebuildable . I found the workshop manual and it shows how to remove and replace it but nothing on the cylinder itself. If you have never done a cylinder, you might want to remove it and take it to a hydraulics shop. That said, it you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be really hard to do. Your dealer will have the parts. Here is a link to the WSM.

www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Mowers/&file=ZD-21-28..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looking at Kubota's site, they don't offer rebuilt parts for it, that usually means they regard it as unserviceable.
A local cylinder rebuild shop might be able to help you, but I wouldn't count on it.
You might have to buy a new unit. :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And that's actually super cheap for a lift cylinder, some are in the $1.8K range :eek:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
We have sent one or two of them in for rebuild. Kubota doesn't service them, but a hydraulic shop (a good one) can usually do it. They charge us about $200 to build one.

Similarly, the BX steering cylinders. They aren't hard to rebuild. By time you get the kit and pay labor to have one built, for $190 you can just buy a brand new one-which is the latest revision and I'm told less likely to fail prematurely-as so many BX steering cylinders have done.

GMC83

Equipment
ZD21
Apr 9, 2021
South Carolina
Lift cylinders for the ZD21 are rebuildable. I had mine rebuilt at a local machine shop for a lot cheaper than purchasing a new one.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Like GMC83 said on the machine shop. They do a full cylinder rebuild here for tractor FELs for $75.00 And that includes a full functional and pressure test.

Reactions: 1 user

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
I have a 2001 ZD21 with a leaking lift cylinder. Can these cylinders be rebuilt and if so, how are they disassembled?
Cylinders are very simple and easy to overhaul however they make a million different size and type O-rings and seals. It can be challenging sometimes to get the right rings and seals but more often than not they are cheaper than dirt to replace so you can easily buy a selection. I would suggest you take it apart and see what rings are needed. It should have some kind of snap ring on the top of the end cap which you remove and that would allow you to pull the rod all the way out. On the outside of the end cap it probably has an o-ring with a backer ring behind it. The inside should have a wiper ring on the end which just keeps dirt out of the cylinder. Then there should be some type of seal on the inside of the end cap down from the wiper seal which is probably the reason your cylinder is leaking. Then the piston probably just has an o-ring with a backer ring on each side. Make a note how these rings are arranged and maybe take a picture and remove them so you can gets some measurements. I use "The O-Ring Store" to get the parts I need. They ship pretty quickly.