ZD 28 Bypass Help!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
so I got real curious, went to 'parts' and it appears those switches are LEAF/LEVER action microswitches ! About the stupidest, silliest type of 'sensor' to be used in a rider...... CHEAP though, maybe $5 to Kubota.
It's OBVIOUS why they're such a PITA for owners.... Could easily be repalce with $10 'rollerarm action ''Industrial"" switches.
Looking at the WSM wiring, I still can't see ANY control of the PTO from the 'combibox', so query..is it a mechanical engage and NOT an electric PTO unit ?
The PTO is a mechanical linkage that turns a control spool to engage the hydraulic clutch pack.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, thanks, that means the 'PTO switch' is just a 'on/off' indicator NOT controlling a clutch( like most riders I have the 'joy' to work on....)
Curious, I looked up the 'controller', yikes it's $400 Canucks. I've worked out the 'logic' of what it does except for the 'glowplug' connections and have a 50c micro mimicking it.

Last edited:

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Ok, thanks, that means the 'PTO switch' is just a 'on/off' indicator NOT controlling a clutch( like most riders I have the 'joy' to work on....)
Curious, I looked up the 'controller', yikes it's $400 Canucks. I've worked out the 'logic' of what it does except for the 'glowplug' connections and have a 50c micro mimicking it.
My 40 KW diesel standby generator uses an auto-start engine controller made by Deep Sea Enterprises. It handles the startup sequence including fuel pressurization and glow plug timer followed by a start command and then monitors engine parameters while it is running in case it needs to do a shutdown including temperature, oil pressure, RPM, fuel tank level, runtime hours, etc. and monitors generator current, voltage and frequency.

It is a neat little box that does a lot and retail is under $300 USD for the controller. It does make that expensive and simple combination box seem horribly over-priced.

Rodger

AQ9I4258.JPG

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
SUCESS!!!
I was able to bypass all the safety switches! It was relatively easy once I knew where the wires originated from.
Runs so nice now with no messing with the brake, arms position or seat just to start it.

Thanks for the help and the diagrams.
Ken

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be SURE to keep the mower key with you !! Since you've bypassed all the safeties, it could be very dangerous to EVERYONE else.
It's one thing to bypass for test purposes another huge liability issue as a 'modified' machine.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
SUCESS!!!
I was able to bypass all the safety switches! It was relatively easy once I knew where the wires originated from.
Runs so nice now with no messing with the brake, arms position or seat just to start it.

Thanks for the help and the diagrams.
Ken
Just don’t forget that you did this.

Otherwise glad You are a happy camper at the moment.

Do your best to keep it that way.

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
You still have to turn the lever to make the blades turn. This just eliminates all the other starting issues,

Ken

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You still have to turn the lever to make the blades turn. This just eliminates all the other starting issues,

Ken
Curious. How many jumpers did you use to eliminate the issue?

I remember a lot of individual inputs to the control module, if what was posted previously was accurate.

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
Just used the mower today. What a joy to be able to start and stop the mower without the hinderance of those darn safety switches.
I drive it about the same as before. That is; I use the brake when I stop it, and flip on/off the blades when needed and you have to move the front handles to get it to move, etc. I really don't understand the need for the safety switches. They (were) a real PITA.

I remember in the 70's cars wouldn't start unless you buckled up first. We all disconnected that feature too! But I believed in using a seat belt regardless.

Ken