ZD 28 Bypass Help!

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
I have an older ZD 28 Zero Turn lawnmower for my 13 acres. It is great, that is when the safety switches do not malfunction.
Please help me figure out how to Bypass them.
Ken

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, I downloaded the ZD..28 PDF,page 5-m1(PDF page 213) ,shows the wiring diagram. the safety switches (L and R , in series) are fed from a 10A fuse and the signal then goes into a 'computer box'(aka 'combination box). 5-M3 shows it again, just another way....

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
Thanks, I see that now, but to be honest I am not very skilled reading the diagram. Can you help me figure out as to how to bypass it?

Ken

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
You should really remove and bench test the safety switches, one at a time, using an ohmmeter though I suspect it could be as simple as adjusting the 'arms' to make proper contact with the safety switches. I've had 3 ZTs over the years and all have had some kind of 'bolt and two nuts' on the arm mechanics to allow the safety switches to work properly.
The WSM probably has a 'how-to-adjust' section.
While it is easy to bypass, it's NOT advisable. Always better to fix what's wrong and have it operate as it should. It'll either be a bad switch or 'out of adjustment'.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I really want to Bypass. I am studying the diagram but could really use some help.

Ken
Offering help on how to disable a safety switch is like someone telling you how to get away with murder. If you want to be that foolish that you want to remove the safety devices that are there to protect you against doing something foolish, then you are going to have to figure it out yourself. ZTR mowers are inherently dangerous once you get off of a running one, and that is why the manufacturers all have safety devices on them. As a retired EMT, in my career, I had seen many times when people put their hands under a running lawn mower, and that is why they added safety switches, to protect the users. We used to say that every time a manufacturer tried to make something idiot-proof, there was a more determined idiot that would try to defeat them.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: It's not that simple

Curious.. can you please explain why ? According to the diagram the L+R lever switches are in series to provide +12 to the 'box'. Using jumper wires to replace the switches should work unless of course the diagram is not accurate or the 'box' has been programmed for a certain 'sequence' of events to unfold before the engine can be started.

testing of the switches could be done by unplugging the 'box' and seeing if +12 is coming from the 2 switches, providing a human CAN get to the 'box' of course.

Yes, I agree defeating 'safety' stuff can be dangerous..... 'MAX8 syndrome'

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
In our industry (I'm with a powersports dealer now, was at kubota dealer for 30 years) they had "secret shoppers" that would either show up, or sometimes call and ask "can I buy this 1300cc crotch rocket for my 8 year old?"--these people worked for the government, they were testing us. A lot of the time it was for ATV's. "I need an ATV for my 14 year old, will this 750cc Kawasaki work for her?" As well, we'd get phone calls from people wanting to know exactly how to bypass safety switches, and they too worked for someone else, just testing the dealers' personnel. In no way or fashion should one tell anyone how to do it but to put themselves into a liability pickle. And I've seen it happen.

To the OP, you are on your own.

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
As a hobby, I restore vintage ham radio gear including high power transmitters and RF amplifiers which can have upwards of 3,000 volts at significant current at many exposed points once the covers are removed. Most of these originally had protection on the primary side to cut power along with a shorting bar on the secondary side to discharge the filter capacitors when the covers were removed.

A lot of people defeat these safety devices thinking they will never need them but are missing the key reason for them, they are there to protect you when you aren't thinking about safety which easily occurs due to distraction or someone (like a child) who doesn't know what he/she is doing.

People who think they are too smart or experienced to make mistakes are the type most likely to actually need these devices. A friend and fellow Corvette owner used to laugh about members of the "flying roof club" which consists of those owners who forgot to properly latch the hold downs when putting their targa roof panel back in place. He joined that club one afternoon when he was in the process of putting the roof panel back in place and got a call from his son's football coach that there had been an accident at practice and someone needed to get there now. Fortunately his son wasn't seriously injured but the expensive carbon fiber roof panel was totaled and he was lucky it didn't hit another vehicle when it flew off at speed.

Safety devices and nannies certainly can be annoying but they also serve a very important purpose. You can't make tractors perfectly safe but that doesn't mean manufacturers (and owners) shouldn't make use of the basic safety devices. When I was in college, a family friend got run over by his tractor and rotary cutter when he was thrown off and it ran over him because he had the safeties bypassed and the gear drive tractor was happy to keep mowing with no operator aboard. It was a closed casket funeral :(

Rodger

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Roger, it appears that you just might have hit the nail on the head! amosmandy is probably just testing us to see if we would help him. Kind of reminds me of the old Amos 'N' Andy shows.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
re: It's not that simple

Curious.. can you please explain why ? According to the diagram the L+R lever switches are in series to provide +12 to the 'box'. Using jumper wires to replace the switches should work unless of course the diagram is not accurate or the 'box' has been programmed for a certain 'sequence' of events to unfold before the engine can be started.

testing of the switches could be done by unplugging the 'box' and seeing if +12 is coming from the 2 switches, providing a human CAN get to the 'box' of course.

Yes, I agree defeating 'safety' stuff can be dangerous..... 'MAX8 syndrome'
The switches have to be in one position to start the engine and in the opposite position for operation. I'm sure the combination box is there so simple jumpers can't be used to disable the safety switches. I was tempted to bypass that whole system when my combination box failed and was also fighting the low voltage to the starter solenoid due to high resistance through the safety switches. Since I'm not the only one to use the mower and for possible resale I spent the money on the new combination box and did the "low voltage start relay" mod.

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
I understand the safety aspect, I really do. But these switches have malfunctioned at least 6 times since I have owned the mower. Each time it had to be towed to a dealer with 3-4 weeks downtime. Believe me when I say, if I can defeat these things, I would be very cognoscente of the added need for safety awareness.
So, just replacing the switch with connecting the wire +/- wires together would defeat these?

Ken

Dustyx2

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I understand the safety aspect, I really do. But these switches have malfunctioned at least 6 times since I have owned the mower. Each time it had to be towed to a dealer with 3-4 weeks downtime. Believe me when I say, if I can defeat these things, I would be very cognoscente of the added need for safety awareness.
So, just replacing the switch with connecting the wire +/- wires together would defeat these?

Ken
No. Not that easy.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Dusty,

I know they aren't politically correct but those shows were hilarious with some great acting. This is my favorite:

Rodger

• Love

Dustyx2

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming

Ken
Can I ask specifically what problem you are having? I have never had to adjust or replace a safety switch on my ZD. If a safety switch is preventing the engine starter from engaging, you might check the voltage the starter solenoid is receiving when the key is turned to the start position. That would would be the small white wire at the starter. If you are seeing less than 12 volts the "low voltage relay" mod is the easiest repair. If you see no voltage there, you do have a safety switch failure or misadjusted, or a bad start switch, blown fuse, etc.

amosmandy

Equipment
ZD 28 Zero Turn
Jul 31, 2022
Michigan
BTW my name of amosmandy came from the combo of a couple of Collies I owned named Amos, and Mandy.

As I stated, I have had ongoing problems with the safety switches. Even now, (which is why I posted) I have to pull the brake in and out sometimes several times to get it to start. It has been an ongoing problem. Probably due to bad design.
I mow about 6 acres weekly and need it to be reliable.

Ken