ZB600-egl-s hard starting.

Yvan Lacroix

Equipment
Kubota GL6500s
Apr 11, 2021
Granby Quebec
I just acquired a GL6500s generator, and having starting problems.

it’s very difficult to start. I adjusted the valves to .006”, put in new glow plugs, oil, filters, and a new battery.
It turns over great, will seem to catch, turn a puff or 2, and quit, giving a little puff of exhaust into the intake manifold. At one point it ran backwards. ( for less than 10 seconds.
When it does start, runs great, full power.
I will load a video to YouTube and post the link later.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Have you verified that both the new glow plugs are working correctly?
Have you tried hitting the glow plugs for a longer duration?
It does seem that you have something else going on here, but these would be something I'd want to eliminate as being possible culprits here.

Yvan Lacroix

Equipment
Kubota GL6500s
Apr 11, 2021
Granby Quebec
Have you verified that both the new glow plugs are working correctly?
Have you tried hitting the glow plugs for a longer duration?
It does seem that you have something else going on here, but these would be something I'd want to eliminate as being possible culprits here.
Thank you for the reply,

I’m thinking the same thing. I tried putting a new battery and holding the glow plugs longer. With a 13v battery they are getting 8.7v. I changed the wire from the switch to the glow plugs, same results.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Glow plugs should probably see about 10.5 volts. Since your battery is twelve volts something is dropping the voltage. In older tractors a coil of nichrome wire is frequently used to drop the voltage and it glows. Over time contacts corrode and the voltage drop increases. Track your glow plug voltage drops. You could also try ensuring you have good fuel flow from the tank and the fuel system is properly bled to remove any residual air.