Z482 Rebuild, first run issues.

Ramano87

Equipment
T1600H
Aug 12, 2020
Saskatchewan
Hi there, I am new here but am I am a very good diy mechanic and all around fixer. I picked up a trashed out T1600H a few months ago and have been rebuilding it since. i recently rebuilt a D902 and it went very well, so I thought I would try another. The T1600 has a Z482 in it and this one was in ROUGH shape, like broken crank rough.

After I got all that repaired, I discovered that the injection pump was seized so also needed a rebuild. I took it all apart, cleaned everything, and reassembled, nothing looked damaged so I didn't replace anything. I've never done an injection pump before, the D902 didn't need it but I was able to get a bit of instruction on the bosch injector pump assembly from the web. I think I got them back together properly......

Today I tried to run it for the first time, and I am having some trouble getting it running. It takes a lot of turning over and a lot of glow plugs to get it to bark and fire. I did get it to eventually run for about 30 seconds before I decided to stop, and when it did it smoked out the whole shop in that time. Thick grey smoke! Wet exhaust. (not coolant)....... Seems to use a lot of fuel.....

I am convinced its a fuel problem, but am unsure how to test and diagnose the fuel system. also, right now I have no gasket under the pump housing, could that thickness make a difference?

What could allow too much fuel in? when rpm is below governor speed throttle will open, throttle will be wide open until rpm come up, right?........ dirty injectors?