Z421 seat sensor question

PSMFWA

Jul 25, 2021
TN
Hello all - new member here. This site kept popping up when I searched for stuff regarding my tractor (L3901) and mower (Z421), so I thought I might as well register and start bugging folks for answers, lol.

I did do a search and didn't see anything related to my problem, so here goes: I have a Z421 mower that we bought new and has <50 hours on it at the moment. My son normally does the lawn, but he has a job now and since I'm retired/looking for a new gig, I figured I'd take over while I'm not doing much. The mower works fine for him, but when I'm on it, it decides to stop running. It seems to be the seat sensor, as all that needs to be done to get it running again is to lift up the seat and let it back down. Mower starts fine, runs great for about another 10 minutes, until the crap happens again.

We have about 3.5 acres or so to mow and it takes a while. I had to do this crap about 10 times the other day, and got so pissed, I had my son finish when he got home. He was on the mower for 30 minutes and nothing happened. He's skinny, I'm not. If anything, I'd think the sensor would be wonky with the lesser amount of weight on it, but no....and yeah, I've tried scooting around in the seat and changing positions, etc. Still stops.

Suggestions?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
next time you're on it try slowing your travel speed down a little and see if that helps. If it don't help any, reach out there with your foot and pull the brake lever back a little and see if that helps.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check to see how the seat switch is activated. There may be an adjustment you can make. Perhaps your dealer can add some information. Purchased new and with less than fifty hours it's probably on warranty.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Check to see how the seat switch is activated. There may be an adjustment you can make. Perhaps your dealer can add some information. Purchased new and with less than fifty hours it's probably on warranty.
there is no adjustment on the opc switch (aka seat switch). It is pushed into a slot and that slot is the perfect size for it, it don't move in out up or down it just fits in it's little hole and that's it.