Z421 ran out of gas. I assume air in lines

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Old fart moment and wasnt paying attention and ran my zt dry and wont start. What ive read is take take a syringe and fill the fuel filter on the output side. Make sense? Never did this before so looking for hints. Thanks

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
This is gas? Unless there was debris in the tank that plugged the fuel filter, there should be no issue. Fill the tank, give it a minute or two if it's gravity feed, start it up. If fuel isn't flowing past the filter, change it and flush/ clean the tank.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Kawi engine, 24hp ? I think...yeah GAS......

I let gravity fill the filter before reconnecting. Can be a bit messy,but helps get gas to the carb faster.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
How long did you attempt to start it? My Zg127 has been ran dry, just refill and crank but no longer than about 30 seconds at a time so you don’t ruin the starter. Might take a few tries for the fuel pump to get it to the carb.

Or a faster way, use a small amount of starting fluid to get it going. More RPM helps the vacuum fuel pump catch up.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How long did you attempt to start it? My Zg127 has been ran dry, just refill and crank but no longer than about 30 seconds at a time so you don’t ruin the starter. Might take a few tries for the fuel pump to get it to the carb.

Or a faster way, use a small amount of starting fluid to get it going. More RPM helps the vacuum fuel pump catch up.
That is a practice that will eventually cost you more than you wish! Fix engines, gas or diesel, so they start as intended.

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Garvity wont do it. Filter is higher than tank. What i did was just syring some gas in filter and the line to carb. Loosened cap and crank a couple times then it fired up. Really wish this would beep or something with fuel low.

Kawi engine, 24hp ? I think...yeah GAS......

I let gravity fill the filter before reconnecting. Can be a bit messy,but helps get gas to the carb faster.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
That is a practice that will eventually cost you more than you wish! Fix engines, gas or diesel, so they start as intended.
How will using a small amount of starting fluid on a gas engine “cost you more than you wish”.
I didn’t say flood the intake with starting fluid. I guess you could always pour gas in the intake but you might say “that will cost you more than you wish”.
The fix would be never let it run out of gas…

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
How will using a small amount of starting fluid on a gas engine “cost you more than you wish”.
The possibility of bent connecting rods or broken ring lands…. Gas or diesel.

You’re much better off priming with gasoline in a syringe or saline bottle.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well that sucks, gravity not being able to help you ! maybe have to train yourself to refill tank say every Sunday night ?
up here Princess Auto sells a fuel sensor and gauge, about $50+-, put one in the diesel forklift as I was told to never,ever, EVER let a deisel run out of fuel. Best 50 I ever spent. !

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
The possibility of bent connecting rods or broken ring lands…. Gas or diesel.

You’re much better off priming with gasoline in a syringe or saline bottle.
It’s perfectly fine in a gas engine IN MODERATION.
Wouldn’t use it on a diesel with a grid heater or glow plugs.
Although the equipment that I run that has Caterpillar C32 diesel engines have “ether injection” for cold weather starting. Which is a permanently mounted can of starting fluid mounted in the engine compartment. That could be up for debate also.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it'll eventually start. Takes a while to get fuel through the dry lines filters shutoff valve pump etc. I usually help them but with carb cleaner or deep woods off but never ether. Ether can be bad.

pic is of my brother's 63 fairlane engine. It's mechanically injected alcohol and they are notoriously hard to start. Normally gives it a shot of gas down it's throat to get it going and it comes to live, albeit not well, until the alcohol fills the lines and then it self-sustains without issue. Well he run out of gas and decided to give it a shot of ether. Fired and died. Give it another shot. Ka-boom. Shrapneled the cast aluminum valve covers, bombed the oil pan, 2 pistons with broken ring lands, tunnel ram intake pulled the studs right out of the heads. He still to this day has hearing loss. 552" Ford engine. It only takes one shot. For that reason I no longer use starting fluid.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
I may look at one of those to help brainfart moments. I dont let my tractor get below 1/4 the issue with the zt is there is only a visual indicator out of sight. Just have to change my habit. Lesson learned

well that sucks, gravity not being able to help you ! maybe have to train yourself to refill tank say every Sunday night ?
up here Princess Auto sells a fuel sensor and gauge, about $50+-, put one in the diesel forklift as I was told to never,ever, EVER let a deisel run out of fuel. Best 50 I ever spent. !

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I may look at one of those to help brainfart moments. I dont let my tractor get below 1/4 the issue with the zt is there is only a visual indicator out of sight. Just have to change my habit. Lesson learned
Yes the “gauge” on my Z422 is terrible. Even when the level is in the “window” it’s hard to see. I make it a practice to fill my tank after cleaning the mower after using…my main reason is that I don’t want to run out of gas when I’m a quarter mile away from my gas can. I may look into a better gauge as we’ll just as an extra reminder.