Yet Another Woodchipper Thread (MX-8600)

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I am deciding, finally, on my chipper purchase in the next few days. As I casually shopped for the past few months I was flopping back and forth between the Woodland Mills WC68 and the WoodMaxx WM-8H and I was leaning towards the WoodMaxx……might as well go big.

Now that I am actually ready to pull the trigger I am having some hesitation. I am concerned that my LX2610 with 19 PTO horsepower is a bit on the light side to run it properly and may be a bit on the heavy side to regularly take through my trails. I know the LX can run and convey it but not sure it’s the smart purchase.

I haven’t seen much posted about the MX-8600 which has one of the best features of the WC68 (clamshell access to the blade area), is USA made, only takes a few quarts of oil to run and is quite a bit lighter than the others while only requiring 15 PTO horsepower. It sacrifices the dual intake rollers of the WM-8H along with the flat intake chute and, of course, 2” of capacity.

The price difference among the units is not a crazy concern vs. post purchase remorse for the wrong choice. The ongoing project at hand and down the road use is continuing cleanup of 100-ish tornado downed trees (vast majority are pine) then general property maintenance/cleanup. We have about 5 wooded acres and have access to an adjoining 70 acres where we help maintain trails and upkeep in trade for access.

We can burn until we are content but we would rather use the chips to cover our trails to limit mud on dog walks and mountain bike riding.

Any thoughts on my leanings towards the MX-8600?

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I think you are in the right ballpark. I went thru same consideration earlier this year…to me it came down to which machine I was going to use the chipper the most on, and am I really going to chip 6inch plus size material when I burn wood for heat…the answer there is no…I love small diameter wood that doesn’t need to be be split or only split once. We think one consideration might be if you have any inclination to a larger machine in near future…then you might have to think what size you really want to be able to chip.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The last thing you want is an attachment/implement that is too much for your tractor. That's a recipe for regret.

If it's marginal, don't do it.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Good day. I think you are in the right ballpark. I went thru same consideration earlier this year…to me it came down to which machine I was going to use the chipper the most on, and am I really going to chip 6inch plus size material when I burn wood for heat…the answer there is no…I love small diameter wood that doesn’t need to be be split or only split once. We think one consideration might be if you have any inclination to a larger machine in near future…then you might have to think what size you really want to be able to chip.
The LX is perfect for the vast majority of my needs and a larger machine would mostly be zero benefit or a hinderance so I can’t foresee an upgrade in my future.

If it was all hardwood that I’m dealing with I’d do a massive burn pile for the twigs and have firewood for most of the rest of my life but alas…….

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I have a Woodland Mills that I run on my B2650, same 19 hp pto as the LX. We had a storm come thru earlier this year and we spent three weeks chipping. Most of the time others were bringing me the trees and branches, so it was non stop chipping for hours on end. Only once did I stall it out on a 5” red pine. I forgot to slow the feed down. Everything I chipped was softwood, but I have nothing bad to say about the Woodland Mills WC68. I did not look at other chippers, but am totally satisfied with my decision. Only regret was not getting it sooner.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I got the MX-8600 to run with my LX3310. The 3310 has more rated PTO power than the 2610, but I'm at 7,000' elevation so it's reduced a bit (exactly how much is unclear due to the 3310's turbocharger, which is the smallest turbo I've ever laid eyes on).

With the hydrostatic feed rate control, you can easily dial down the feed rate to keep from overloading the machine. I personally wouldn't be afraid to run this chipper on the 2610.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
It is obvious that you should purchase the WoodMaxx MX-8600. Why ? - all of its features that you listed, and most importantly - it is what I am considering. It would be greaaat if you test it out for a fellow LX 2610 owner. The features and the made in the US are what caught my attention.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
It is obvious that you should purchase the WoodMaxx MX-8600. Why ? - all of its features that you listed, and most importantly - it is what I am considering. It would be greaaat if you test it out for a fellow LX 2610 owner. The features and the made in the US are what caught my attention.
This is the most sound advice I’ve yet to receive.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Yesterday I did a search for used machines and there’s a tractor dealer in PA. with a used 3 year old WoodMaxx WM-8H for $3900. I messaged them with a low yet reasonable offer considering it’s unknown history, new price, and the likelihood that a new set of blades, a fluid change and other maintenance would need done. Nope, firm at $3900. Lol.

I figured I’d give myself one last weekend to see if anything interesting used pops up and if not order the MX8600 1st thing Monday.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Yesterday I did a search for used machines and there’s a tractor dealer in PA. with a used 3 year old WoodMaxx WM-8H for $3900. I messaged them with a low yet reasonable offer considering it’s unknown history, new price, and the likelihood that a new set of blades, a fluid change and other maintenance would need done. Nope, firm at $3900. Lol.

I figured I’d give myself one last weekend to see if anything interesting used pops up and if not order the MX8600 1st thing Monday.
Ridiculous, $400 more than new for what? Immediate availability vs. few weeks of wait time. Tell them to enjoy their lawn ornament.

Shekkie

Equipment
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I think that you can buy a Woodmax 8H for $3500 new including shipping.
Ridiculous, $400 more than new for what? Immediate availability vs. few weeks of wait time. Tell them to enjoy their lawn ornament.
In my offer I pointed out that $3300 was the new price. My offer was $2250 which I figured was a bit low but a reasonable starting point considering the issues with buying unknown used equipment. I’ve seen used ones sell for $1500-$2k but I haven’t been quick enough to snag one. They even seem to sell pretty quick at $3k but that’s too close to new price for me.

I’m sure the dealer wasn’t amused by my response. Oh well…..

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
In my offer I pointed out that $3300 was the new price. My offer was $2250 which I figured was a bit low but a reasonable starting point considering the issues with buying unknown used equipment. I’ve seen used ones sell for $1500-$2k but I haven’t been quick enough to snag one. They even seem to sell pretty quick at $3k but that’s too close to new price for me.

I’m sure the dealer wasn’t amused by my response. Oh well…..
That offer seems fair to me, maybe theirs was owned by a celebrity or had precious metal plated cutting blades 😁