Yet another Golf Cart Canopy!!

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
So, I decided to build myself a canopy out of a golf cart roof like so many others have done. Saves money and, since its injection molded plastic, it will take a real beating from branches etc. I found a like new EzGo roof on craigslist for $75 and went for it. I built the frame out of 1 1/2" square and 1 1/2"x3" tubing. All in I have about $300 invested including the electrical stuff on it now. The roof has 6 molded in bolt holes that I used to mount the canopy to the frame with. Then I welded 2 6"x6" plates to the support legs so I could clamp the whole thing to the ROP. After test fitting, I painted the frame, mounted the canopy and then mounted the setup to the ROP. I wanted lights, power outlet and, in the future, a fan so I Installed an 8 way switch, 3 way outlet and 2 front LED lights. I have 4 more LED lights on order. 2 will face to the rear and 1 each will face to the sides of the tractor. I also installed a flashing safety light on the top of the ROP, under the canopy. I ran all the electrical lines through flexible conduit and mounted the conduit to the canopy frame with stainless hose clamps. The control unit for the switches is mounted on the left inside rear of the canopy frame. I will be adding a metal plate behind the control unit to protect it from damage. The power is fed through a 60 amp circuit breaker mounted at the battery. The system is powered up through a relay that's connected through the key switch. I'm pleased with how it turned out!!

20210710_130731.jpg 20210710_130741.jpg 20210710_130747.jpg 20210710_130754.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well done - better than factory!

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I have a FEL on order. Its supposed to be here around the first of August. After it gets installed, Ill be adding front leg supports from the canopy frame to the FEL mounts. Then I'll install mirrors on those supports. I will also be adding a phone mount, a blue tooth speaker and maybe a CB radio. I may also add work lights to the FEL arms as well so that they are always aimed at the bucket.

MidwestMike

Equipment
B2650
Sep 12, 2019
Coloma, MI
There is a place here that sells the tops brand new for $20. I just threw it on with a couple of u bolts, there's a little flop to it but not bad, and easy to take off when I need to flop the ROPs down. After a little more use I'll see if I need to add another support or not.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Nice! I wish I had that price available. I do not intend to remove mine but, if I do, I only need to remove 8 bolts and pull apart an electrical quick disconect.

MidwestMike

Equipment
B2650
Sep 12, 2019
Coloma, MI
Nice! I wish I had that price available. I do not intend to remove mine but, if I do, I only need to remove 8 bolts and pull apart an electrical quick disconect.
My original post lost some stuff in an edit. I think it looks great with the well built frame. You may wish for my price but I wish I had you skills for the frame. :) I'm sure I'll end up with a little more support being added as I start using it more, and I'm sure my supports will not come out as well as your frame.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So, I decided to build myself a canopy out of a golf cart roof like so many others have done. Saves money and, since its injection molded plastic, it will take a real beating from branches etc. I found a like new EzGo roof on craigslist for $75 and went for it. I built the frame out of 1 1/2" square and 1 1/2"x3" tubing. All in I have about $300 invested including the electrical stuff on it now. The roof has 6 molded in bolt holes that I used to mount the canopy to the frame with. Then I welded 2 6"x6" plates to the support legs so I could clamp the whole thing to the ROP. After test fitting, I painted the frame, mounted the canopy and then mounted the setup to the ROP. I wanted lights, power outlet and, in the future, a fan so I Installed an 8 way switch, 3 way outlet and 2 front LED lights. I have 4 more LED lights on order. 2 will face to the rear and 1 each will face to the sides of the tractor. I also installed a flashing safety light on the top of the ROP, under the canopy. I ran all the electrical lines through flexible conduit and mounted the conduit to the canopy frame with stainless hose clamps. The control unit for the switches is mounted on the left inside rear of the canopy frame. I will be adding a metal plate behind the control unit to protect it from damage. The power is fed through a 60 amp circuit breaker mounted at the battery. The system is powered up through a relay that's connected through the key switch. I'm pleased with how it turned out!!

View attachment 62947 View attachment 62948 View attachment 62949 View attachment 62950
Looks nice. Curious as to why you mounted it so high?

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Because I'm 6'1" and I need to stand up to see what I'm doing sometimes. I spend most of my time in the deep woods and need to stand to see. Thats also why I put the handles forward, so I could hold on while I'm standing.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Not really. I spend 95% of my time in thick forest. If it becomes a problem, I can take it off and chop saw the bottom 6" off the mounting legs and weld on another 6"×6" plate and mount it lower. No big deal.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Well done - better than factory!
Looks nice. Sorry to be a downer - Has anyone ever considered what these ROPS mods would look like after a roll over or if something heavy a.k.a. tree limb fell onto the canopy?

MidwestMike's would likely shear off on the plastic. Ranger Danger's has essentially extended the ROPS higher with a nice beefy frame. Think of leverage...this design may actually cause the ROPS to fail. The homemade ROPS canopy would likely fold up onto the operator and it's jaws of life time.

OEM canopies have to be part of the ROPS in design and testing. That's one reason why the OEM solutions are costly.

Last edited:

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Looks nice. Sorry to be a downer - Has anyone ever considered what these ROPS mods would look like after a roll over or if something heavy a.k.a. tree limb fell onto the canopy?

MidwestMike's would likely shear off on the plastic. Ranger Danger's has essentially extended the ROPS higher with a nice beefy frame. Think of leverage...this design may actually cause the ROPS to fail. The homemade ROPS canopy would likely fold up onto the operator and it's jaws of life time.

OEM canopies have to be part of the ROPS in design and testing. That's one reason why the OEM solutions are costly.

All good points. I built mine out of .094 (3/32") wall thickness. Its not as heavy as you might think. Would it crumple up in a roll over? You bet your fanny it would but, so would an OEM canopy!!! I know, I've seen it happen! Would it cause the ROP to fail? Not bloody likely!!! Would it crush under the weight of a large tree branch falling on it? Depends! I hope to never find out.
I ride a motorcycle. Could that kill or mame me? Sure! I flirt with my friends wives. Could that get me hurt? Damn straight it could!! I choose to not let theses things affect my day to day life. I sleep just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

MidwestMike

Equipment
B2650
Sep 12, 2019
Coloma, MI

My plastic is to flimsy to even shear off, it would just bend in like it wasn't there. In theory that could "pin me in", but the other thought is that whatever is pushing up against the canopy would be pushing directly against me instead. (If I had the seatbelt on... :)) Another thought is instead of a flipping and having a branch poking directly in my face or one spot, the pressure would be spread out and distributed over the canopy.

Not discounting anything you're saying, just thinking by the time I flip the canopy would not be a major addition to a terrible issue, I'd have problems either way on that rare occurrence.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Mine would add to the safety, not create another liability.