Yard Cleanup Bucket for L-series

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I've got an L2501 with the 66" SSQA bucket. I've done a good bit of grading and moving/loading wet and heavy clay soil and rocks with that bucket, and it IS right-sized to the machine for that type of work. Backhoe is always on for counterweight.

Where I run into trouble is when I'm cleaning up around the property. I typically fill the loader bucket by hand with trimmings from bushes, sticks, shrubs I've pulled out, etc. In fact, right now, we're shoveling out all our old mulch beds and putting new in, and the actual cubic foot capacity and shallow depth of the 66" bucket is VERY limiting. Same thing when I move firewood. The bucket fills up very quickly, but I have plenty of weight capacity left on the loader and end up making lots of trips to either my dump trailer or the compost pile.

I'm thinking of getting a larger bucket specifically for general yard cleanup/mulch work, and have been looking at either a 66" or 72" light material/snow mulch bucket. The ones I have found so far are intended for skid steers, but still look fairly 'light' for their capacity, weighing in ~400lbs for just under a cubic yard of capacity. Doing the math, it seems like even with the 400lbs of steel in the bucket, I'd still be able to fill or nearly fill that bucket with things like mulch, firewood, and general yard waste. The stock 66" bucket is ~1/3yd capacity for comparison.

Curious to hear from other folks that have gone down this rabbit hole already on how it worked out, if they like what they have, and/or what they would have done different.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I would look at the problem in a different way. It would be cheaper to buy pallet forks and build a 3 sided box to act as an oversized bucket. Strap the box to the forks and you could carry and dump light bulky loads. Buy as many as you need of the "totes" to carry the firewood stacked and ready to store. If you can fab things build an hydraulic upper jaw and use the forks as a grapple.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would get a small trailer with a dump function. Rural King has what appears to be nice ones. I am not a farmer so take it for what its worth.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I would look at the problem in a different way. It would be cheaper to buy pallet forks and build a 3 sided box to act as an oversized bucket. Strap the box to the forks and you could carry and dump light bulky loads. Buy as many as you need of the "totes" to carry the firewood stacked and ready to store. If you can fab things build an hydraulic upper jaw and use the forks as a grapple.
Already have a set of forks and considered repurposing some ibc totes, but i cant pickup mulch in them, and the bucket is surprisingly cheap locally. $550 for a 66”, and $600 for a 72”.

The forks also reduce my dump height by a bit vs. the bucket.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I would get a small trailer with a dump function. Rural King has what appears to be nice ones. I am not a farmer so take it for what its worth.
I have a dump trailer now. Need this bucket to dump into it and haul to township. Can’t burn where i live :(

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I want a brush grapple eventually too, but most of this is smaller stuff that will just fall through. Don’t have front hyd. yet either.
A grapple will move smaller debris much better than you would expect. I have actually moved dirt with mine. It was damp clay though. I would love to have a separate grapple with expanded metal on the lid and body, and I could pick up just about everything.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
How do you like it? Use it much?
I have about an acre and a half that I clean once a year of pine needles, dead drops and crap from a lot of very big trees. I fill my 6x14’ dump trailer up 4-6 times just to clean up each spring. So it pays for itself each year! Like I mentioned...I had the bucket as I replaced it with a QA set up...so I cut the ears off and welded up the sheet metal to make it structurally sound. The bottom plate is 3/16” so that it won’t bend or buckle under load.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have about an acre and a half that I clean once a year of pine needles, dead drops and crap from a lot of very big trees. I fill my 6x14’ dump trailer up 4-6 times just to clean up each spring. So it pays for itself each year! Like I mentioned...I had the bucket as I replaced it with a QA set up...so I cut the ears off and welded up the sheet metal to make it structurally sound. The bottom plate is 3/16” so that it won’t bend or buckle under load.
Yeh, that's pretty much my application as well. You're also making me feel good as I've got ~2.5 acres and some folks think an L is too much machine, but I like everything it does :)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Yeh, that's pretty much my application as well. You're also making me feel good as I've got ~2.5 acres and some folks think an L is too much machine, but I like everything it does :)
I am in volcano country so our land has a lot of rock. My size decision was based on my backhoe. I absolutely wanted a full frame backhoe because I knew I would beat the hell out of it...works great. I have dug many large joint trenches for the septic system, electrical, gas and drainage. No way a smaller tractor would have worked.