YALA - Yet another log arch

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
Hi Folks -

I've got some 20" x 12'+ cedar logs to move up on Lopez Island, WA where our B5100 lives... and I want to mill up some nice benches for the garden w/ a chainsaw mill, so time for a log arch build. I'd gathered most of the materials before our shelter in place order happened; all I still needed was a few fasteners from mcmaster.

The spindles are from etrailer.com, the golf cart wheels & tires are from my old Burning Man vehicle, and the winch was ordered for another project that fell through a couple of years back. I drilled the holes on my Bridgeport, and turned the cable pulley on the lathe from some 2.5" diameter ductile iron round I had kicking around. Welds are stick: mostly 7018; a couple of critical places have 6011 root passes. It's designed around a 2000 lbs max log weight - plenty heavy for our little Kubota.

Since I need to move this thing nearly 1000 miles north to use it, I made it so it easily disassembles - the beam goes on the roof rack, and the arch & tires ends up in the back of the pickup truck.

The most important part: the color is Rustoleum Orange - matching the trailer I built a few years ago. The B5100 is Mary Kay pink now thanks to the sun.

The materials are 3/16" x 3" square tube, 1/2" x 3" rect. bar and a bit of 1/4" x 2" square tube to hold the spindles and hitch, all obtained as 'scrap'. The 5/16" chain hooks are from Amazon.

I'll post some pictures in use after we get out of Covid19 jail. This was definitely a nice distraction over the last couple of months. One things for sure - the shop on Lopez will have a covered spot so I can weld when it's raining :).

- Bart

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Chinook3

Equipment
BX2380,FEL344S,LP forks,BX2816snowb50,mmm60, log arch, Wicked 55 grapple
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
Looks great! How did it work? Looking to add one to my BX.

Chinook3

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice fab!
I like the gussets.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I would enjoy seeing pictures of it in use.