wow, the unicorn does exist

NetMagi

Equipment
BX25D (sold), L2501HST w/BH77 Backhoe
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I keep hearing "you can buy a used mini-ex for the cost of a BH".

I watch my local craigslist all the time and I've NEVER seen anything even close until today:

looks like it's barely even been used. . . maybe an electrical contractor had it for an indoor job at some point. Can't find any specs for it online. . must be rather old. . 80's?

I'm still quite happy with the hoe on my L2501 and not looking to make a change but was so surprised to see this I just had to share.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I keep hearing "you can buy a used mini-ex for the cost of a BH".

I watch my local craigslist all the time and I've NEVER seen anything even close until today:

looks like it's barely even been used. . . maybe an electrical contractor had it for an indoor job at some point. Can't find any specs for it online. . must be rather old. . 80's?

I'm still quite happy with the hoe on my L2501 and not looking to make a change but was so surprised to see this I just had to share.
Just down the road from me...maybe I need to go take a peek at it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd buy it cause in 5 days oil will be through the roof and it'll pay for itself in 2 months...

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
yeh, I'm only ~30 mins from Nazareth. Was tempted to go see it, but if I don't go see it, I definitely avoid buying it :)
Nazareth. One of the best rock groups ever. "Now your messin' with a sonofab***h!!"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Nazareth. One of the best rock groups ever. "Now your messin' with a sonofab***h!!"
yep. "Hair of the dog"

Saw them in concert when I was a youngster...great show.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Did you go peek? Rly curious what the history on this thing is. It just looks too nice for something that old, even if it was repainted.
Nope, didn't go either...as it might come home with me. I already have a BH77, but am getting interested in a miniex...but like a size or two bigger.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Great deals are had on CL. Usually posted by the african prince looking to hide money in your bank account, or by your russian girl friend selling boner pills through the online pharmacy.

Reactions: 4 users

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Around here the scams are a dead giveaway - the pics never have mountains in them, and that's pretty hard for BC

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Out here, it's the lack of mountains that show it's a scam. :)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Around here the scams are a dead giveaway - the pics never have mountains in them, and that's pretty hard for BC
Isn't that the truth! Same thing here.

I did buy an old mini ex in fairly descent cosmetic condition recently for about 20 percent more than a BH77 would have cost installed on a new L2501 that I was considering. So there are possibilities out there.

Too cold for me to enjoy messing with it now though, so it remains to be seen if there are any hidden issues...hope not. Seemed good when I checked it out before purchase.

image2.jpeg

Bought it from a guy that is retired but work in construction in the area for years and has a lot of contacts. As a retirement hobby (or whatever you might call it) he buys used excavators from companies in the area and resells them...

So if you look you may actually find a used mini ex for close to what a backhoe attachment would cost.

Reactions: 1 user

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
That's true. There's a 15ton Komatsu excavator 2 hrs away from me for $10k Canadian right now. My wife would not be impressed.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've purchased many item from CL ads. It's like everything in life, better do some homework but know values, and be quick.

Other option is FB Marketplace. I've use it less, but have been scammed two times in one year. Since I used PP and CC I actually "made" money on both of those scammers.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
CL deals really do exist, they’re just the needle in the haystack anymore. I paid ~5k under market for my L2501 w/20 hrs on it and it’s been fabulous.

last yr i picked up a ZT for $400 on CL that needed $95 in parts and basic repairs. Sold it for $1400, on CL 3 wks later.

NetMagi

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
CL deals really do exist, they’re just the needle in the haystack anymore. I paid ~5k under market for my L2501 w/20 hrs on it and it’s been fabulous.

last yr i picked up a ZT for $400 on CL that needed $95 in parts and basic repairs. Sold it for $1400, on CL 3 wks later.
worth noting before someone calls it out. . . The deal on the L2501 was so good i did start to panic afterwards that maybe it had an outstanding lien on it. When i searched the PA database a lien did come up under the guy’s name, but showed paid off. I paid the ~$5 to get a copy of the full lien and release doc and it matched all the serials confirming it was truly free and clear. Obviously i should have done that first, but it’s easy to get caught up in the moment when a deal is that good and you’re standing there with cash. DO check lien records in your state b4 buying anything that may have been financed. I doesn't 100% mean you’re safe, but it sure helps lower the risk.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
worth noting before someone calls it out. . . The deal on the L2501 was so good i did start to panic afterwards that maybe it had an outstanding lien on it. When i searched the PA database a lien did come up under the guy’s name, but showed paid off. I paid the ~$5 to get a copy of the full lien and release doc and it matched all the serials confirming it was truly free and clear. Obviously i should have done that first, but it’s easy to get caught up in the moment when a deal is that good and you’re standing there with cash. DO check lien records in your state b4 buying anything that may have been financed. I doesn't 100% mean you’re safe, but it sure helps lower the risk.
This is good advice and I also tried to do the same thing, but since the guy I bought the mini ex from was selling equipment he bought from companies in the area, when I checked for liens under his name nothing showed up. I guess I should have asked for the name of the company it came from, but did not think of it at the time.

He did sign a bill of sale I prepared, where he certified that he was the sole owner of the machine, and that there were no liens or encumbrances on it. He sells out of his home where he has lived for 40 years. I felt he was a straight shooter and seemed honest and straight forward. His neighbor's dogs (golden and chocolate labs) put in a good word for him, by the way. Never met such friendly dogs before...and while I was there the neighbor brought his grandkids over to say hello...good vibes all around.

A google earth street view picture of his house showed equipment that was being sold at some point in the past, so I knew he was not fly by night. He made it a point to show me the sticker with the SN on the equipment he was selling, and said if that sticker/plate is not there on equipment you are considering, walk away...probably stolen, or at least very questionable. I see different mini exes he has posted recently on Craig's list, so it does appear he is doing what he said he does.

So in the end I took a chance I guess...but I do not feel too uncomfortable about it.