Woodstock in 1973

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
A friend of mine was there! He said he knocked on some farmers door and politely asked to use the phone so he could call his Mom and tell her he would be stuck there a few days! No way out!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes it did and a lot of us couldnt get time off, because we were 10000 miles away

Reactions: 2 users

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I was there, well for a couple of hours anyway. I was working with Civil Defense trying to get food into the site. My cousin worked there all weekend supplying water.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I thought something didn't look right the instant I saw Woodstock & 73, I was here on earth but not there at age 8. 😏

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I watched the documentary on the one in 99??, wow my memory is terrible. Anyways I'm glad I was settled down and had a family by then or else I may have been there. Lol

Man they really tore the place up!

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The only thing I can think of (imagine) is the smell. No showers, hot, muggy, no bathrooms... and hippies are not the cleanest of Americans--I'm just saying. I can't imagine.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I was the "right" age but didn't know a thing about it till after it happened, but then I never used controlled substances. :poop:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The only thing I can think of (imagine) is the smell. No showers, hot, muggy, no bathrooms... and hippies are not the cleanest of Americans--I'm just saying. I can't imagine.
Drugs probably numbed the senses. 🥴🥴🥴

• Love

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
No showers, hot, muggy, no bathrooms...I too was not the cleanest of Americans. And yes, the smells were awful. But then I was in the jungle in Vietnam. Didn't hear about Woodstock for many months.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
No showers, hot, muggy, no bathrooms...I too was not the cleanest of Americans. And yes, the smells were awful. But then I was in the jungle in Vietnam. Didn't hear about Woodstock for many months.
Im a bit too young for that, but my dad was there with you.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Listen to a lot of the music while vacationing in se Asia about that time

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
I got out of the Air Force in '69 and jumped on a 10 speed Peugeot bike and was well on my way across the states . From Miami to Vancouver BC when Woodstock and the moon landings were happening. I had no idea ether happened until that winter
good times

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
🫡thank you for your service !
and to the rest of you that served our country!

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Summer of 1969 I was 2 1/2. Probably working on pooping in the toilet instead of my pants. I do vaguely recall staying up late to watch the moon landing. I think it was Walter Cronkite anchoring the broadcast but that’s strict memory so could be wrong.

Didn’t know until years later, my father, at the time, was working riots here at home with the National Guard. He got the “honor” of being the last line of defense against rioters, which means he manned an old M2 machine gun. So he and his Korean War veteran sergeant basically sat around with thousands of rounds of 50 BMG belted ammo and several barrels hoping they never got the order to flatten the crowd, which was their only job if it came to that. That was his “reward” to not be on the street with the rioters because he had a Mechanical Engineering degree so they gave him a chance at fixing the M2 which was regular Army surplus and didn’t function until he spent some time with it at the machine shop in the factory where he worked during the week. With his knowledge and access to a well equipped machine shop he became the unofficial armorer for his unit, a duty that suited him and he sort of enjoyed for the most part aside from the part where he had to hide out on a rooftop hoping he didn’t have to mass exterminate his neighbors.

I didn’t really know whether to believe those crazy stories until recently when some of the other guys that were there told the same stories from the street level viewpoint shortly before and after his recent death. The commonality was, at least for those guys and my father, they all felt fortunate to the point of feeling a little guilty for pulling their time in the U.S. where they weren’t separated long from their wives and kids instead of shipping off to Vietnam, but then ended up having the specter of being a hairs breadth from having to fire on fellow U.S. citizens.

As we’ve been going through some of Dad’s things related to family history, learned my grandfather on my Dad’s side was a Quaker and therefore a conscientious objector when he was conscripted to WW1. At least at that time it didn’t mean you didn’t serve or run away to another country, it meant for him he was a medic attached to a combat unit. Oddly enough when he came home he brought a sniper rifle, a box of hand grenades, a French bayonet, and a German bayonet.

Grandfather’s uncle’s house was a stop on the Underground Railroad well before that. That house was the one my father grew up in. A fellow from a local museum gave us a good bit of history on that, including a false bottom wagon used for human transport and showed us a copy of a book written by Dad’s grand-uncle explaining from an economic standpoint why slavery was untenable. Apparently the NC legislature made possession and dissemination of the book a crime so not many copies survived. That particular gentleman was a college professor, civil engineer, and not at all politically correct in the antebellum south, which made him quite unpopular with some, particularly with his slave owning relatives who owned large farms in eastern NC. After the Civil War he wrote a book explaining how the Underground Railroad actually worked. That made him quite unpopular with the local KKK. As best I can tell he never gave a crap.

We found WW2 coupon books, some coupons still remaining. All had admonishments to think before you buy and don’t unless you have to. There was a stack of NC scrip and CSA currency with Jefferson Davis’ picture proudly displayed.

I could go on, but probably too long already.

Point being, a lot of things seem pretty crazy with the world right now. Maybe it’s always been crazy.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Summer of 1969 I was 2 1/2. Probably working on pooping in the toilet instead of my pants. I do vaguely recall staying up late to watch the moon landing. I think it was Walter Cronkite anchoring the broadcast but that’s strict memory so could be wrong......CLIPPED
So he and his Korean War veteran sergeant basically sat around with thousands of rounds of 50 BMG belted ammo and several barrels hoping they never got the order to flatten the crowd, which was their only job if it came to that.
4 DEAD IN OHIO !!!