Woods RM 306 72" finish mower

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I found this old finish mower locally for cheap. Very nice older gentleman had it for 30+ years and downsized from his ranch to a smaller property and switched to a zero turn for his new yard. It works great. He had it all setup on a small allis tractor when I came by and he demonstrated it and everything and then helped me load it. Very heavy duty, over 600 lbs. $175.

I felt like the dog that caught the school bus when I got it home since he loaded it into the back of my pickup. I managed to get it off there with my FEL by parking the truck off a small retaining wall so that I only had about a foot off the ground to the tailgate.

There's no rust-through anywhere and its all greased up and runs pretty quiet. Tested on about an acre of lawn and it works good. I will just need to get used to operating a behind mower.

It looks awful but it's all just patina. I am not sure if I should bother trying to paint it as it seems the patina might be more rust protection than paint. Anyone painted something like this and have recommendations on best way to do it? I might just leave it alone and be happy :)

Attachments

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
About a year ago I bought some old rusty welding tables and used a wire wheel on them then applied a really great paint discovered online. Hammerite. I bought a gallon and cut it with an incredibly toxic substance I had never heard of, the name of which escapes me. Applied it with a $20 air gun from Harbor Freight. The paint is used on machinery and is really thick and hard. It really smells and it took 3 weeks to "cure". This might be overkill for your application as it possibly was for mine. I will say I have never seen anything like it. My tables came out great. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: