Woodmizer project. Picture heavy

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Nice project! Milling is fun, that’s a great looking little mill! You’ll have it it too too in no time!
What I’ve learnt is…Almost Any time the mill is acting up, it’s the blade! Just sharpened don’t matter. The set could be off. Could have been a crappy sharpen. Could have hit dirt at the first contact. Coulda dulled bouncing in the truck on the way….
Sometimes a frozen log just won’t cut nice.
Somtimes a big ole knotty spruce ( sometimes called a Bull Spruce for being a big ole tree growing out in the open on its own) just won’t cut straight. Frozen seems to make it worse!
Sometimes, Murphy figures you need square firewood!
You can build nice planter boxes or a chicken coop out of some pretty wavy lumber though! It all has a use :).
I hope my neighbour will sell me his mill one day
None of the lumber I cut will be wasted (except the one small piece my dog stole and hid in the woods)…. I have a platform stand for deer hunting so any weird of off cut stuff will be used to frame the walls and roof of it. Anything that comes out at proper sized and shape dimensional lumber will be put to good use doing some garage Reno’s and the eventual plan is a small pole barn for the orange shovel and a 2 vehicle carport.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
As for lube, Guys around here are running washer fluid with some sort of detergent added, or plumbing antifreeze, neighbour uses the antifreeze and adds Pine-sol soap. If the logs have been moved around a bit, cut the butt end off even just an inch, so the blade don’t cut into all the grime embedded into the butt end. Like lil foot says, clean logs are paramount! That mill in my pic has a debarker on it, worth its weight that’s for sure.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I do not find you either Vince? ;)
i joined but the site isn’t very tablet friendly, I just haven’t been on my computer since I joined. I made an into post and kept getting Errors. Once I’m back in my office, I will try again on my lunch breaks.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
OK I found you. ;)

I have no idea about tablet use because I am always on my laptop, actually a MacAir.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Asked a buddy if he wouldnt mind putting new rods on the adjuster... he ended up making a new one and offered to make a new one for the fixed roller as well.

8C3BB0F5-F4BD-47AE-90F3-1D7BC43687BC.jpeg

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Much has changed on the roller blade guide mounts. There are now 8 way adjustments.
technically this one is 6 way. It mounts on the arm that you slide in and out for the log/lumber size. I ended up cutting off that pin, the new one isnt bent to crap like the old one so it was rubbing on the bracket. Not sure what the pin was for, but the hose clamp holds the coolant line.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Technically the blade guide arm does not count so it is a 4 way. The way I see it from the picture, you can in/out and horizontally tilt. You are lacking the ability to up/down and vertically tilt. I am sure that those came later after more R&D. Gotta remember that 'your' sawmill was manufactured during the second year of Wood-Mizer's existence and it is still remarkable.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Technically the blade guide arm does not count so it is a 4 way. The way I see it from the picture, you can in/out and horizontally tilt. You are lacking the ability to up/down and vertically tilt. I am sure that those came later after more R&D. Gotta remember that 'your' sawmill was manufactured during the second year of Wood-Mizer's existence and it is still remarkable.
both can be adjusted up/down and in/out. Next time im out there I will take a close up. Now that they are all cleaned up. It will be easier to see.