wood stove install

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Finally convinced the boss (wife) that a wood stove in the garage is needed.
Looking for deets on install of piping.
I want to exit roughly 6 feet up the wall then the pipe can go as high as needed.
I don't want to exit thru ceiling then roof.
Don't care up to code.
Do care burn my garage down.

Who can offer insight on how to?

Brian In Michigan

Equipment
L3000DT + a bunch of other junk
Nov 25, 2010
Howell Michigan
One thing, If it is a garage make sure all of the flammables are out of it. Also make sure if your going out the back wall above the stove don't make it too close to the ceiling. The heat coming off of the stove pipe is quite hot if it is single wall. I am within 2 feet of my truss ceiling in my pole barn and I had to put a heat barrier between the pipe and the ceiling.

buildspacetrains

Equipment
L2402dt
Nov 12, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Work college of mine installed a wood stove in shed/workshop. Shed burnt down. Insurance company no pay up! Stove not installed properly. Thousands of $ in tools and equipment lost. Just something to think about!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok MJ,,
1 keep the distance away from the way at least 18inches, and a large sheet of tin on spacers nailed to the wall will also help
2 Where you go through the wall, PLEASE PLEASE use a tripple walled thimble this will keep the hot pipe from burning the wall
3 The top of the chimney needs to be above the highest point of the roof so the smoke will be drawn up and away and not having the roof cause down drafts inthe chimney
have fun

adjusterr

Equipment
L2250, bucket, Woods hoe, JD 1010 w/ bush hog and snow blade
Dec 4, 2010
Big Pool, MD,
I have a 24x40 pole barn, 1/2" insulation board on roof and same on ceiling side of trusses and walls. I found an electric furnace from a new, wrecked mobile home. It discharges from the bottom so I built a plenum that has three discharge vents and set the unit on a metal frame about 12 inches off the floor. anchored the unit to the wall with metal strap. I have been using this set up for over 10 years, and couldn't be more pleased. I maintain heat in the building all Winter and it seems reasonable price wise. I have a nice Fisher stove setting in the building, not installed. I looked at the tools, Harleys, mowers, etc and decided the wood stove was too much work maintaining heat through the night and not worth the chance of fire. Good luck.

Last edited:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
MJ, I have a 36 x 40 metal shop building with a bathroom in one corner. It is insulated with the metal building roll/batt insulation. I planned to heat it when it gets cold enough to freeze inside with a portable kerosene heater. Good idea in that the heater was free and does keep it from freezing but bad idea because kerosene is more expensive than diesel now and hard to find. I'm looking at putting in a propane or electric heater now. Hope this helps.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I do have a commercial grade heater installed.
Hydro rates in Manitoba are more than reasonable.
Don't need to keep the garage heated all the time either.

I've found the garage more than comfortable when the temperature dips near minus 20 celcius.
I've been out there when its minus 30 and the heater takes enough of the edge off.

If the stovepipe wasn't $700 I would be all over the wood stove.

adjusterr

Equipment
L2250, bucket, Woods hoe, JD 1010 w/ bush hog and snow blade
Dec 4, 2010
Big Pool, MD,
what kind of stove pipe are you considering that costs $700.? The only real critical spot is where the pipe goes through the wall, use a triple thimble there, otherwise, why can't you use standard blue stovepipe? I am aware of the stainless chambered pipe but that is generally used in confined areas such as an attic or where people would have contact with the pipe.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Selkirk chimney is the make.
Any piece that passes thru wall, ceiling, roof is roughly $100 a piece.
Out of the stove and to the wall can be standard stove pipe.
Between ceiling and attic must be in$ulated pipe.

Found this on-line:
* No Stovepipe can pass through Walls, Ceilings, Floors or Windows—
* * Generally speaking, the taller the chimney, the better
* * The fewest bends = the best draft (chimney suction)
* * Chimney Should extend 2 feet above anything within 10 Feet or 3 feet above peak