Wood chipper

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi guys. Guess I'm looking for your support in spending more money! Lol.
I'm patiently waiting for my baby B2601 to arrive. I ordered it to help with my many dead and falling...and taking down ...ash trees. It's coming with a backhoe and loader of course. I also ordered a 3rd function kit with hopes of a grapple in the future. However dealer has no idea when 3rd function kit will be in. So for now I was thinking of cancelling 3rd function until I actually purchase a grapple...and instead buy a suitable woodchipper...which I know I would use....branches are a real pain.
My thoughts for using the chips were to make a trail where I would be driving the tractor instead of trying to maintain grass where the tractor will be operated to and from. Any thoughts on using wood chips for a pathway for tractor ? I have no experience with this idea. I have been cutting up branches and burning them for many years now...wood chipper worth the investment?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Never tried using wood chips, but I guess it’s better than running in the mud.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I run a wood chipper a lot and have over 6 miles of woodland trails, where possible I will chip with the output falling on the trail, it’s like adding mulch and keeps some of the growth from taking over.

I chip a large amount of small trees and branches. If you plan to use a chipper quite a bit I recommend you buy as much chipper as you can afford and have the pto hp to run, hydraulic feed, two driven infeed roller chippers work really well and do a lot of the work for you, take a look at a WoodMaxx WM-8H.

Reactions: 1 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I use a WoodMax chipper also. Self contained hydrolic system. Runs off the pto. I haven't put alot of hours on mine but it really chews up the trees and brush. The power feed sucks the stuff right in. Of course WoodMax is made in China. There are USA made chippers or Italy made that are more expencive but probley better quality.
As far as a grapple. Any Idea what you loader will lift ? My L3800 will lift 1000 lbs. Period. No more. Every grapple I've see is Big and Heavy and nothing I'd be able to use. If there is a 200 lb grapple I'd love to see one. I do use my pallet forks to scoop up brush and move it. chipper.jpg

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
My L3800 will lift 1000 lbs. Period. No more. Every grapple I've see is Big and Heavy and nothing I'd be able to use. If there is a 200 lb grapple I'd love to see one.
The Thumb or WR Long bolt on @ 143# or Titan @ 236 #

I have WR Long... Add a tooth bar to get more area to grab things... The Thumb, you need to fab up (weld) the others are drill and bolt.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I use a WoodMax chipper also. Self contained hydrolic system. Runs off the pto. I haven't put alot of hours on mine but it really chews up the trees and brush. The power feed sucks the stuff right in. Of course WoodMax is made in China. There are USA made chippers or Italy made that are more expencive but probley better quality.
As far as a grapple. Any Idea what you loader will lift ? My L3800 will lift 1000 lbs. Period. No more. Every grapple I've see is Big and Heavy and nothing I'd be able to use. If there is a 200 lb grapple I'd love to see one. I do use my pallet forks to scoop up brush and move it. View attachment 57721
A fee videos I have watched in which a 2601 is being used the land pride sgc0660 seems to work well but I believe it is around 450 lbs

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Wood chips for a path is a great idea. You will find that a small PTO HP tractor will struggle to make any kind of volume in a decent amount of time. I run a 8" chipper on a 60HP tractor and don't think I would produce enough volume to make it worthwhile. Making chips is hard work for me and the tractor.

Check with your township. Sometimes you can get truckloads of chips delivered for free if they are working in your area.

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies. I guess my main focus is to get rid of branches easier. Just trying to figure a way to use the wood chips. My house is surrounded with trees. Dying ash has been devastating. For years we have been picking up branches and cutting them into 4 foot lengths to burn...so as not to have to big of a fire and get people upset. I think sticking them into a chipper would be easier? No ?

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Personally if I had to chose between a grapple and a chipper I get the grapple first. The grapple can move large and small pieces, the chipper will be limited. It would be nice to use the chips as ground cover but that's what bush hogs are for and you're moving material twice. With the grapple, one trip to the burn pit and done.

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Hi guys. Guess I'm looking for your support in spending more money! Lol.
I'm patiently waiting for my baby B2601 to arrive. I ordered it to help with my many dead and falling...and taking down ...ash trees. It's coming with a backhoe and loader of course. I also ordered a 3rd function kit with hopes of a grapple in the future. However dealer has no idea when 3rd function kit will be in. So for now I was thinking of cancelling 3rd function until I actually purchase a grapple...and instead buy a suitable woodchipper...which I know I would use....branches are a real pain.
My thoughts for using the chips were to make a trail where I would be driving the tractor instead of trying to maintain grass where the tractor will be operated to and from. Any thoughts on using wood chips for a pathway for tractor ? I have no experience with this idea. I have been cutting up branches and burning them for many years now...wood chipper worth the investment?
We had massive damage on our 30 acres due to an horrible ice storm, bought a chipper and using the heck out of it. I'm making trails and roads to drive my tractor, ATV's and UTV's on. Living in the PNW there's a lot of mud 6-8 month out of the year. I heard laying fabric or even just cardboard down will dramatically help it sinking or grass growing through. Some places I'm just laying about 3"-4" down and feel it should be fine. So far so good!

Also will be using the chips for landscaping and around trees.

I would love to have a grapple however you have to cut the trees short enough to fit through tight areas.
I just yard the trees and limbs out like a skidder using my box blade with a strap or chain. I can pull 4-5 times more than if I used a grapple to move them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thanks for the replies. I guess my main focus is to get rid of branches easier. Just trying to figure a way to use the wood chips. My house is surrounded with trees. Dying ash has been devastating. For years we have been picking up branches and cutting them into 4 foot lengths to burn...so as not to have to big of a fire and get people upset. I think sticking them into a chipper would be easier? No ?
This is why I got my chipper. Can't always have an open fire and it's often faster to stuff branches from a few trees through the chipper.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
This is why I got my chipper. Can't always have an open fire and it's often faster to stuff branches from a few trees through the chipper.
What Mike said, I'm under a burn ban until June here, we dropped 2 old Apple trees today. The wood is gone but not the brush, tomorrow I'll chip it all and spread the chips where needed.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I've had two chippers, both manual feed. Got rid of both of 'em. I wouldn't do it again unless I could have hydraulic feed.

Docpraise

Equipment
B2601, MMM, FEL, PF, BB, RTV 500
Nov 21, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
I just got the WoodMaxx WM-8H and an EA Wicked 55 grapple for my B2601. Both are very useful. The chipper is right at the limit of what the tractor will run but it has eaten everything I throw at it. My only issue so far is the 3-point lift height of the B2601 is a bit on the low side and I have to plan approaches to hills. Fortunately the chipper has skids.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Make a deal with a local arborist..he can dump his mulch loads in exchange for chipping your branches. everyone wins. BTDT. I've had dozens of loads of mulch dropped off where I wanted it. Though I don't heat with wood, he's also dumped 4-5 BUSH cords of logs as well. one load tookover 2 weeks of burnign to get rid of in the fire pit....