Wonder what my friend did....directly over his driveway.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
He may have put replacement windows in that were one size too small and didn't meet code. I just had a window guy here and he said that any change, up or down, in size needs a local gubbermint permit.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
He may have put replacement windows in that were one size too small and didn't meet code. I just had a window guy here and he said that any change, up or down, in size needs a local gubbermint permit.
Glad I sold my place in Canada several years ago.
I bought 4 sliding patio doors at Lowe's in NH, for $400 each and took them up with me.
Locally they priced out at $1,400 each (+HST), with the only apparent difference being the CSA certification.
Probably was a bit more to it than that, but $1,600 v/s $5,600 (+HST) was a rural install risk I was willing to take.

Reactions: 1 user

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
That airplane doesn't do what you think it does. It's a very unique airplane indeed, operated by Transport Canada for Environment Canada (formerly Atmospheric Environment Services). The aircraft is equipped with a very interesting sensor suite. If you examine the belly of the airplane you'll see what looks like a pair of ventral strakes - these are, in fact, antenna radomes for the Synthetic Aperture Radar. You'll also see a small ball turret which holds some very fancy infra-red and optical camera equipment.

What does this airplane do? It is our Ice Patrol aircraft! This is the bird that we use to keep an eye on arctic ice, helping to monitor the ice pack, to chart navigable paths for the freighters which keep our northern communities alive, and it is also used for maritime surveillance and sovereignty protection.

This is, by now, an old airplane. It's a De Havilland Dash7 which has fantastic STOL capabilities and, on two engines, has incredible range and loitering capabilities. When the aircraft was first fitted with the synthetic aperture radar it was guided by a very, very early GPS navigator. I was the manufacturer's tech rep who babysat the development, installation and initial fielding of that GPS equipment, back in the days when we had only three GPS satellites in the sky (only two when we first got the initial lab rat version of the GPS working).

As you can likely tell, I have a certain fondness for this aircraft. It is fitted with a big bubble observation dome on top of the fuselage. The view from that dome is like no other.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
oh man Dash 7, those pilots def drew the short straws

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Perhaps Big Brother Canada is searching for the handguns that king Justin says he will ban!
Off topic here - I wish Justin would simply make it illegal to kill people in Canada. It's extremely difficult to buy a hand gun legally here these days. The days of buying one over the counter in Canadian Tire are long gone.

To demonstrate my point:

If guns were as easy to be had here as in the US this would have been a mass shooting. Instead the nut case used a machete and a knife.

We need more Bell Let's Talk days.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think your friend probably took a leak outside like I often do… Not sure how they would’ve realized it though!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Am I the only person who thinks this is somewhat of an oxymoron?

A bright-red airplane, clearly marked "surveillance" is not very discrete. 🤫🤔

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Did your friend throw some leftover poutine in the trash? 😁

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sometimes the obvious things, are the most hidden things

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Am I the only person who thinks this is somewhat of an oxymoron?

A bright-red airplane, clearly marked "surveillance" is not very discrete. 🤫🤔
Color red is obviously a safety/identity issue.
There is obviously no need for being "discrete" on an ice patrol aircraft.