Winch on my 2601

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys I know someone has had to this already. I was over the hill and there are a few trees down that I would like to cut up for fire wood. However I cant get to them with the B, and I was all over youtube looking for ideas, I figure for as much as I would use it a HF winch would work. Now comes the how to attach it to the tractor? On the front, on the draw bar on the 3 point on the bucket?
I need to find the skidding sled we made years ago ( good luck with that) so the winch hook up is a concern and no I dont have enough chain. SO Im looking for ideas,, lets hear em

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Seems like this actually could be a tractor operating question, since it is on topic rather than off topic.

No help here obviously...just a thought.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK guys I know someone has had to this already. I was over the hill and there are a few trees down that I would like to cut up for fire wood. However I cant get to them with the B, and I was all over youtube looking for ideas, I figure for as much as I would use it a HF winch would work. Now comes the how to attach it to the tractor? On the front, on the draw bar on the 3 point on the bucket?
I need to find the skidding sled we made years ago ( good luck with that) so the winch hook up is a concern and no I dont have enough chain. SO Im looking for ideas,, lets hear em
Check out the line of "Superwinches".
Probably a bit more than HF, but better quality too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say any will work.
A three point trailer hitch works great with the winch on a reciver hitch mount.
That way you can have the winch and the loader with a grapple.
I would also recommend getting the remote control for the winch that way you can stay out of harms way while using it.
I use a remote battery too, save having any issues with the tractor electrical!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I had a 4WD pickup, had short 'receiver tubes' on both front and rear bumpers, so that winch on a 'sleeve' could be put where needed, usually to get me unstuck....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I would say any will work.
A three point trailer hitch works great with the winch on a reciver hitch mount.
That way you can have the winch and the loader with a grapple.
I would also recommend getting the remote control for the winch that way you can stay out of harms way while using it.
I use a remote battery too, save having any issues with the tractor electrical!
Keep the 3-pt LOW. The problem I believe can occur with using the 3 pt is that cable tension can lift the 3 pt thereby increasing the chance of turning the tractor Over. Placing a trailer hitch receive on the drawbar would be safer.
Placing it on the front bumper…such as where you might place weights…would also work. I would NOT place it on a FEL as it would stress the FEL and its’ hydraulic cyls. You’d also have to be careful rasing/lowering the FEL didn’t contact the winch and damage things.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Keep the 3-pt LOW. The problem I believe can occur with using the 3 pt is that cable tension can lift the 3 pt thereby increasing the chance of turning the tractor Over. Placing a trailer hitch receive on the drawbar would be safer.
Placing it on the front bumper…such as where you might place weights…would also work. I would NOT place it on a FEL as it would stress the FEL and its’ hydraulic cyls. You’d also have to be careful rasing/lowering the FEL didn’t contact the winch and damage things.
A simple check chain to the drawbar on the three point cures the lift issue.
As far as using it on a loader, you use the bucket as an anchor so its really no strain on the loader.

Putting a winch on the front bumper of a B and trying to winch with it, doesn't give you much "stick", or pulling power.
It will normally just drag the tractor because you can't lock the front wheels like you can the back wheels on the tractor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Put a 12,000 or 16,000 lb winch on a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. Use the tractor to make a lane to get the truck up there.

That's what I do.

And buy a good winch. Warn.

Last edited:

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Whether this works for you or not, I don't know. For me, this was my perfect combination. I got a 2 inch front hitch receiver similar to this and put that on the front of the BX attached with the existing bolts.

https://www.fabworksoem.net/kubota_kubota_bx.php

Then I got a winch similar to this that had the remote control box that would be attached directly to the top of the motor (like the heavy duty winches). Only power needed to come from the tractor (or a separate battery). The wireless remote control has a range of 75 ft. And there is a second removable wired control in case the wireless quits.

3000 lb Winch

The winch was mounted on a square pipe that would slip into the receiver and pinned and one connector for the power with no need to crawl under the loader.
I use it mostly when cutting trees down and I have yet to see the tractor being dragged by the winch when in 4x4 and the parking brake set, unlike with a 2wd Chevy S-10 I used to own that every time I was going to pull a tree, my wife had to stand on the brakes.

The Harbor Freight 2000 lbs ATV winches suffer from the remote control electronics failing in no time flat. Their bigger models might fair better, I don't know.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I would buy a used, proper 3pt logging/forestry winch. Do your jobs then sell it.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Tractor probably pulls more than a winch. Chain a snatch block in a tree and a long steel cable or arborist's rope to pull logs to top of hill.

The winch is a good idea for recovery in an area, where a wrecker may not be able to access. Made this for an 8000# superwinch, yeah lack welding skills.
20200422_155949.jpg

Smaller winch for the Kubota's
20140905_123017.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used a receiver on the front of the L4240 like this:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/warn-winch-install.455553/#post-6344805

Then there's a HF 3000# that works in a receiver on the bucket. I use it for a small "crane" kinda mobile hoist. It was useful when I recently refurbed a utility trailer that I built back around 1990. I put the trailer on a pair of robust sawhorses to have it a a comfortable working height. Also used it to flip the frame a few times for easy access while welding and painting. No picture of the winch, but here's the receiver for it:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/drills-and-change-of-plans.59625/

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Cables/snatch blocks/chains and log chokers work for me, no batteries required. The tractor does the pulling.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Fwiw, you can buy synthetic winch extension ropes pretty cheap on Amazon. Here's an example. 1/4 has a breaking strenth of about 7500 lbs. $78.99 for 200 ft in 50 ft sections, for example. A lot lighter than chain. If it breaks, you can tie a knot to get back going.

AND…if it does snap… it isn’t the hazard of a decapitating whip-lash an ordinary cable or chain becomes. (standard procedure is to place a heavy tarp over the usual cable during a pull… not necessary with a synthetic)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The week following the sale of your winch, you will desperately need it!
Yep! I bought a new 12K winch on a fire-sale for only $250… then didn’t need it after-all. Sold it still in-the-box to a grateful neighbor for what I paid for it.

Now, 3-years later… that same winch is selling for almost $700…. :oops:

Hope I don’t need one anytime soon…. the neighbor has moved away.