Will I break the transmission by running chains on rear tires in 4x4?

Mitigator

Equipment
Kubota B2650, snowblower, back blade, rake, Heavy Hitch,
Feb 23, 2023
I'm new to tractors and I'm running a front mount snowblower, chains on rear tires and rather than keep the diff. locked, I'm using the 4X4. I have a B2650 with hydrostatic transmission. I just watched a youtube video of a guy named GP in Canada that said his dealer told him he can't use chains and 4x4 at the same time as it will destroy the transmission. Any validity to this?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NO !
the dealer is an IDIOT, his picture needs to be in the dictionary next to the word IDIOT

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
I have used chains and 4x4 in snow over the years and it’s never been a problem

Reactions: 1 user

Mitigator

Equipment
Kubota B2650, snowblower, back blade, rake, Heavy Hitch,
Feb 23, 2023
NO !
the dealer is an IDIOT, his picture needs to be in the dictionary next to the word IDIOT
Thank You! Made absolutely no sense to me. But this is my first tractor and thought it might be an odd tractor thing.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've only used mine for 2 seasons. No breakage so far. I also have front chains. I think you'll be good as long as you do it when traction allows for some slipping, and aren't cutting the wheels tight over and over.

That being said, there probably isn't reason to keep it in 4x4 if you don't think you need it.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
From your post it seemed to me it was a choice of diif lock OR 4x4, not using both together.

I run 4x4 almost all winter having no pavement here and ground frozen solid, for whatever I'm using the tractor for including snow blowing. No chains.

In 4x4 often need the diff lock engaged at the same time for that little added grab on slippery or rough ground. Like sometimes the snow blower tries to push through a deep stiff snow bank and the wheels start spinning at a standstill, I engage the diff lock and away we go.

I have never had a problem using the diff lock in 2x4 or 4x4. Just not on "sticky" ground to avoid driveshaft binding up.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Except for the last two years my 1986 has always run chains on the rears in the winter and muddy spring. I have watched the rears and fronts do some wild spinning while plowing in 4WD and it is still doing just fine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rear only chains, no issues.
Front only chains, your flirting with disaster!

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
BX2380.
In 4WD 90% of the time.
REar tires are chained. 100% of the time.
MMM & front blower
Summer, winter, whatever.

Only when I know I'll be on tarmac or doing long runs on my hard packed gravel driveway, do I take it out of 4WD

3rd year - no issues.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Why would front only chains be flirting with disaster?
in slippery situations makes smaller front end take the majority of the work load / stresses versus design of front assisting in work load and back end taking majority of work load..

Kubota designed the B's with front ends significantly smaller (weaker) than the larger/stronger rear ends. So they designed gearing and tire circumferences accordingly.

Slippery conditions with chains on front only has rear end doing little load (slipping) so front end ends up taking most of the stresses which it was never designed to do.

same reason why changing the ratio of front/rear tire circumferences is also dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
in slippery situations makes smaller front end take the majority of the work load / stresses versus design of front assisting in work load and back end taking majority of work load..

Kubota designed the B's with front ends significantly smaller (weaker) than the larger/stronger rear ends. So they designed gearing and tire circumferences accordingly.

Slippery conditions with chains on front only has rear end doing little load (slipping) so front end ends up taking most of the stresses which it was never designed to do.

same reason why changing the ratio of front/rear tire circumferences is also dangerous.
Great explanation that also relates to the questions many new owners have regarding the need for ample rear ballast, especially with front loaders.

hoobie

Equipment
mx5100
Aug 11, 2020
canada

I agree although many will disagree. I run aggressive studded rear chains on my mx5100 all winter in my snow plowing and logging operations. My dealer warns against front chains especially in my usage where fronts could get strong bites on roots etc. They have seen front damage because of this before.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I agree although many will disagree. I run aggressive studded rear chains on my mx5100 all winter in my snow plowing and logging operations. My dealer warns against front chains especially in my usage where fronts could get strong bites on roots etc. They have seen front damage because of this before.
agree... bad things happen all the time when people don't pay attention or just don't know better. I no longer have my commercial skidder but it too was chained all the time.

If rear chained tires were spinning operator needs to let up on the throttle cause if front chained tires all of a sudden catch on a root, etc.... often a very loud "SNAP" quickly follows.

Those guys we used to call un-employable. Any spinning wheel is a break waiting to happen. Add chains to a spinning wheel and a break is sure to happen. Roots under bog was the worst.

mine looked something like this. HUGE front and back axles but still fronts are weaker cause of CV joints and operating angles.

1677348424591.png