WiFi gate opener for $12

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So, for some (maybe most) of you this may be nothing new but anyway. My (not so) Mighty Mule gate opener died the other day after 2.5 years of pretty heavy use. We have 4 of us at the house and with kids it probably cycles 12-20 times a day, so roughly 13,687 cycles for a $300 piece of gear about .02 per cycle.

Anyway I went to Amazon and looked at the new 'smart gates' so we could have access to the gate and let others in via an app. As I read the reviews on the Wireless opener option for $125 it became apparent that most thought it was useless. However, In one of the reviews a guy mentioned a Wifi momentary inching switch for $12. Long story short it works flawlessly. If you have wifi at a gate you can use this and set it up in about 5 minutes. Once I get the new gate opener and install the new set up I'll post photos. It will work on any gate or garage door opener with wifi access.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You should post a link.

I'd simply get a standard garage door opener wireless kit. No internet connection required. My cars have built in 3 channel remotes, I don't want to find an app on my phone to open a gate.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My Genie garage door opener is 46 years old and has cycled well over 100,000 times. Yes, a gate opener may have higher peak loads.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I use one of those 4chnl RF modules from China(where else...),usually $10,no taxes, free shipping.
The 'fob' sits around the cruise control rod, 'D' controls the garage door, 'B' the onboard LED lights.
The problem with 99.44% of 'aps' is they transmit your data to someone , somewhere in the world

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I'd simply get a standard garage door opener wireless kit. No internet connection required. My cars have built in 3 channel remotes, I don't want to find an app on my phone to open a gate.
I have looked into that. Here is the thing with the Wifi/app that I like. I can open my gate from anywhere in the US (perhaps the world). The other nice thing with this is that it interfaces with Alexa, Google, Apple home etc. So if someone is at the gate I can simply tell Alexa to "turn on the gate". Alexa thinks its a switch so you have to use turn or turn off.

I was a bit overwhelmed when I first looked at it but it is simple and works on anything you need to control remotely--with Wifi. The device link is below the video.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
My Genie garage door opener is 46 years old and has cycled well over 100,000 times. Yes, a gate opener may have higher peak loads.
As the old saying goes... You get what you pay for. These gate openers are cheap and basically disposable. I do not have some big elaborate gate, just a 14 foot $180 cattle gate so I cannot justify a $2,000 Apollo or lift master gate opener. So if I have to replace it every 2-4 years I can live with that. If I ever have a nice gate built I will need to spend that extra money for a quality gate opener.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
those wifi/rly modules are about 8 Canucks these days.

re: Here is the thing with the Wifi/app that I like. I can open my gate from anywhere in the US (perhaps the world). The other nice thing with this is that it interfaces with Alexa, Google, Apple home etc. So if someone is at the gate I can simply tell Alexa to "turn on the gate".

so can ANYONE else, if they feel so inclined.
also Alexa tells certain people exactly what you're doing...so 'they' can direct market ads you might like to see...

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
re: Here is the thing with the Wifi/app that I like. I can open my gate from anywhere in the US (perhaps the world). The other nice thing with this is that it interfaces with Alexa, Google, Apple home etc. So if someone is at the gate I can simply tell Alexa to "turn on the gate".

so can ANYONE else, if they feel so inclined.
also Alexa tells certain people exactly what you're doing...so 'they' can direct market ads you might like to see...
When you say 'ANYONE else' and 'certain people' please elaborate. Who would Alexa tell that I'm opening my gate or my garage or turning on/off lights and devices? Why do I care about that, or stated better why should I care? For instance, my garage doors are also RF/wifi and to my knowledge no one has ever opened them but me. My Ring doorbells and alarm is Wifi and I am not aware of anyone hacking those.

Please tell me if I'm missing something before I make this change. I don't want 'ANYONE' to be able to open my gate. And please tell me how "anyone' would go about opening my gate via wifi. Also wouldn't the same be true with a RF signal?

Thank you.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Cannot imagine taking out your phone to open ones gate. Guess that's the future. We don't even have smart phones, only a throwaway that we carry for emergency.

We finally had another board put in our gate control to allow our cars to operate it from the Homelink buttons on the mirror. No separate openers nor batteries to maintain. The old Tacoma still has to have an opener.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Cannot imagine taking out your phone to open ones gate. Guess that's the future.
I hear you!!! But the beauty is you don't have to take anything out, it can be done by voice or by the phone. We also have the 3 buttons on two vehicles and the 'old controllers' for the other two cars.

My main purpose for wanting this is for deliveries. We live out in the country and have had packages stolen. Now I will be able to let the UPS or Fedex guys in from my office or anywhere I may be.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I remember when I was the remote control for the TV as well as the antenna rotor, or anything else that needed moving or opening if my stepdad or mom didn't want to do it. I'm still not lazy enough to tell my phone to do something that I can easily do myself, and not sure I want Alexa knowing when I take a dump and the toilet needs flushing. I mean really, wi-fi toilets?

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I remember when I was the remote control for the TV as well as the antenna rotor, or anything else that needed moving or opening if my stepdad or mom didn't want to do it. I'm still not lazy enough to tell my phone to do something that I can easily do myself, and not sure I want Alexa knowing when I take a dump and the toilet needs flushing. I mean really, wi-fi toilets?
I guess I should’ve been more clear. This is not about me trying to be more lazy. This is about me being able to work in town, 15 miles north AND be able to keep my belongings safe. Right now I cannot let the termite guy, dirt/rock dump truck guy, Directv guy, UPS guy, fedex guy, mail man with a package, pest control guy, on and on into my property unless I leave the gate open, give them the gate code (which they could come back and use) or leave work for 2 (minimum) hours. Can I open the gate myself…Yes. Can I do it while im at work….No-unless I add WiFi.

We all have ‘regular remotes’ that open and close the gate—because I don’t want my wife and daughter doing it manually with a chain in an Alabama thunderstorm. I’m not sure why we are on the INTERNET acting as if we hate technology. Yes, i could choose to light candles when I get home OR I can flip a switch. Finally, if you have a smart phone or use the internet (as you do) Apple, Google or whoever already knows everything about you, including when you take a dump, the terms of use allow them to listen 24/7/365 and know how to hear a fart or splash, or what you talk to your wife about.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re:
When you say 'ANYONE else' and 'certain people' please elaborate. Who would Alexa tell that I'm opening my gate or my garage or turning on/off lights and devices? Why do I care about that, or stated better why should I care? For instance, my garage doors are also RF/wifi and to my knowledge no one has ever opened them but me. My Ring doorbells and alarm is Wifi and I am not aware of anyone hacking those.

Who would Alexa inform.....any 3rd party(amazon, google, etc.) that wants to buy info and then send adds to you(popups, etc).
why care... cause companies, big and small are buying your 'data'...bits and pieces at a time
how is easy.most 'wifi' is connected to your home PC so it has internet connection. running some 'ap' on your PC , or a linked smart device not only 'open the gate', it sends some data to a server ,somewhere. What data ? obvioulsy time,date, operation, probably your ISP info, GPS,etc. Those cute Roomba vacuums did it, as well as NEST thermostats. ALL wified security cameras do, unless you change ALL the passwords. There are several websites where you can access cameras that others have bought. Same with baby security cameras though I suspect everyone by now has heard of that.
It's not that anyone will open your gate that's the problem though some in the past had fun, getting into and controlling various cars (Tesla was easy....), again since it's been on the news, everyone has changed ALL the 'default' passwords...hopefuly .

as for giving people access to your property, usually you give them a temporary passcode,valid for a certain time. The use of that code, will be logged, opened 2 hhmn, closed at hhmn. better systems require the passcode AND a password, adds another level of security as you know who opend the gate.

yes tech is a 'love/hate' thing. love it when it works FOR you, hate it when it ruins your day.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’ve had my gate opener for over 10 years. It’s battery operated with a solar charger and my gate is heavy, made of welded pipe with tube steel uprights. It is Patriot brand.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
IoT. We love the connectivity but if you use Alexa or Siri or any other assistant, that interaction is tracked. We have the Geni openers and my version does not interface with any assistant. Not sure if Geni tracks the usage but it sure is nice to be able to open or close a door without being home. By the time I hit the road, the app notifies me that the door is down. If not, the wife pulls up the app and handles it for me. Great to see when one of the boys get home or the dog sitter arrives when on vacation. I also use the auto open/close to make sure the doors are closed by a certain time.
If you are worried about data being shared or devices hacked, then secure your wifi, use a router in front of your ISP hardware, keep it updated and keep all devices patched and updated. If your opener has an account to access. Change it. This includes the account name and password. This should be done for every device. Finally run a VPN on your home network and do the same on your cell. An opener app should not need access to your camera, photos, or other personal info. Depending on the device there may be a monthly subscription so choose wisely.

Does it prevent you from being hacked? Nope but the casual thief looking for a quick score and easy access to your property will move on. Lastly I have a good relationship with our Sheriff and they will sit in my drive and do paperwork. Nothing like coming over a hill and seeing the Popo when they aren’t expected.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I guess I should’ve been more clear. This is not about me trying to be more lazy. This is about me being able to work in town, 15 miles north AND be able to keep my belongings safe. Right now I cannot let the termite guy, dirt/rock dump truck guy, Directv guy, UPS guy, fedex guy, mail man with a package, pest control guy, on and on into my property unless I leave the gate open, give them the gate code (which they could come back and use) or leave work for 2 (minimum) hours. Can I open the gate myself…Yes. Can I do it while im at work….No-unless I add WiFi.

We all have ‘regular remotes’ that open and close the gate—because I don’t want my wife and daughter doing it manually with a chain in an Alabama thunderstorm. I’m not sure why we are on the INTERNET acting as if we hate technology. Yes, i could choose to light candles when I get home OR I can flip a switch. Finally, if you have a smart phone or use the internet (as you do) Apple, Google or whoever already knows everything about you, including when you take a dump, the terms of use allow them to listen 24/7/365 and know how to hear a fart or splash, or what you talk to your wife about.
No offence intended. I was just telling how old I am. :oops:

The big problem about keeping things safe from remote is that you're depending on a gate to stop someone that a gate will only stop if they're honest enough. If they want your stuff, they'll get it, especially if they know you're not home. Unfortunately, the only real way to keep your stuff safe is to unlawfully violate a criminal's rights by booby-trapping your property. Figure that one out. When ya get an answer, let me know.

Locks, cameras, gates, all the security you can throw at your property will only keep honest people honest. A short-barrel 12 gauge with 00 buck shot is for the ones that aren't honest enough to respect your hard work and efforts to have nice things.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: By the time I hit the road, the app notifies me that the door is down.

Does your door system have extra switches to sense the physical door IS down and up ? Just curious if they rely on the 'limit switches' inside the box or added more.

I had to add a 'door is down' switch to the garage furnace control. seems the new 'smart themostats' will turn on furnace if it's <45*F even WITH the cool-off-heat switch set to off.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Locks, cameras, gates, all the security you can throw at your property will only keep honest people honest.
One of my long-time friends is a locksmith here in town. He uses the same line and I fully agree.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Does your door system have extra switches to sense the physical door IS down and up ?
No. So mine is an inching device that just sends a .5 second impulse to the 'cycle' function of the gate. I did finish it up this weekend and I must say I'm impressed (with myself) and the function of the unit.

EDIT: Just saw this question was not for me. Sorry

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
One of my long-time friends is a locksmith here in town. He uses the same line and I fully agree.
Every locksmith I've ever met says that. There's a certain irony in that.

Reactions: 1 user