Widow Maker - Best Plan of Attack?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I know every locale may be different.

Around here though cutting a tree from public land without permission is a big no-no. Maybe the fence too is owned by some government agency. Don't know - should at least consider.

Pic seems to show ditch, right away and road on the side of fence that tree grew. Depends where OP is from would hate to have some gov't agency come down on him.

I'm quite sure Larry owns all the property shown in the close up of the treed area. No government owned land involved, and fence is his also.

I think LarryBud should have a "Spring Fling" and invite all willing Kubota tractor owners show up with their equipment for a weekend of work. Bring chain saws, chains and all other necessary play toys. He has mentioned working over some 10 acres of rough fields, discing, planting, etc. Divide up food cost and have a party!!!!

If nothing else just set around a fire and discuss how to safely remove THAT tree.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm quite sure Larry owns all the property shown in the close up of the treed area. No government owned land involved, and fence is his also.

I think LarryBud should have a "Spring Fling" and invite all willing Kubota tractor owners show up with their equipment for a weekend of work. Bring chain saws, chains and all other necessary play toys. He has mentioned working over some 10 acres of rough fields, discing, planting, etc. Divide up food cost and have a party!!!!

If nothing else just set around a fire and discuss how to safely remove THAT tree.
If that is the case...JUST DO IT ... LOL

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Hello All,

I was out of town for the weekend. I plan on knocking this project out in the near future.

FYI. The tree is in a road ditch so I guess the County may have some responsibility. By the time I'd get them to do anything I may as well do it myself.

The plan is to drop the fence, chain it at the base and drag it away from the lean. I expect a big drop but I'll cut it up and burn it.

FYI. The tree it's snagged up in is good and healthy. I would not want to do it any harm.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like a good plan of attack !
best to get it done before ground thaws and leaves come out....

Reactions: 1 user

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Kinda agree with dirty and RCW. If you value the fence, take it down. Chain stump to FEL, take some weight off stump, use 4WD, go back like hell and don't stop till down. Tractor should be able to handle that. Good luck.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Gonna throw this pic in just for fun. Dead ash about 80 ft tall, maybe 16 inch at base. Fell on its own. Got caught up in another tree, lifting the base about 10 ft in the air.
FA898BC4-BC63-479C-B4EF-CC6D00EDBAD9.jpeg

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
LOL... Can't help but remember the old saying "There's a sucker born every day!"

Perhaps there is a chance of this working...
On a property that I used to own I was trying to cut down the bank next to the road so I could drive on to it. About 6 inches down I ran into a rock that my L1500 with a slusher wasn't going to move. I put a sign next to it that said "free rock " and I'll be damned if a neighbor with a track loader didn't come take it.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'free' is a scary sign for me.....
neighbour had a couple 'extra' Armor stones,about 3'x8'x2', I'd say 5000+# each, sign said 'free',
Dang they were heavy, used them as 'gate/fence guardians'.
It took him 3 days to figure out my new stones were his old ones.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Gonna throw this pic in just for fun. Dead ash about 80 ft tall, maybe 16 inch at base. Fell on its own. Got caught up in another tree, lifting the base about 10 ft in the air. View attachment 75330
I had something like that once. A swamp maple that was still alive and about 8-10 inches around but leaning about 45 degrees. It became a comedy. First I tried to cut it and every time I would hear "crack, crack, crack" I would run away. I managed to cut all the way through and the sucker stayed right there! I made a second through cut about a foot higher up and nothing happened. I started to hit that piece when all of sudden I hear "crack, crack, crack" and the whole tree went up in the air about 10 feet and sat there horizontally on top of another tree! What the hell do I do now? Since I had plenty of other hurricane debris around, I decided to go and work on something else (I wish I had the tractor back then). After a while, I heard again "crack, crack, crack" and I see the tree coming down top first at about 45 degrees. So, I started cutting the branches and I noticed that the tree would slowly slide down on the other tree and I could keep on cutting the branches. By the time I got to the trunk, it was like "slicing bread" . I would cut a foot section and it would slide down for the next cut until I was done.