Why I love my grapple...

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Had bad wind and lost a bunch of trees. Only ones I need to deal with are in our walking path. With an electric chainsaw, extra battery. Clean up was pretty quick and easy...

First blockage:
1st block.jpg

Few cuts:
few cuts later.jpg

open:
open path 1st.jpg

2nd spot:
2nd block.jpg

close up:
2nd block close up.jpg

Few cuts:
few cuts 2nd pile.jpg

moving piles into the woods out of sight:
pile them out of sight.jpg

Back for another load:

back for another load.jpg

View of load on the front:
loaded up and ready to go.jpg

I have to quit the fun stuff and I got to get back on the roof and finish replacing shingles... 🤬 Just finished lunch 🌯 and 🍺 for courage... I hate wind !@#$%^&*()

Reactions: 9 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Having the right tools for a job can make a challenging task a little easier.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I recently cleaned up a field (in the field and along the edges). It had decades of big limbs, some decent size trees and several small burn piles that were never burned strewn around. I rented a 20 yard dumpster for $350 (delivered/collected with up to 3 tons of weight), and I filled it with all of the debris. Most of it was old and rotten, and that kept the weight down. Also, rotten wood usually just clogs chippers - even big rental chippers, and it does not burn well either. Additionally, there was some old barbed wire and three poles (smaller than telephone poles) that had a braided steel cable (20+ yards long) connecting them.

I just picked it all up and dumped into the dumpster with my grapple. A couple of the trees/limbs just barely fit in the 22 foot long dumpster. I did it all in less than a day. I cannot imagine how long it would have taken to saw up, drag and chip the stuff that could be chipped.

I will be renting another dumpster for the clean up in the woods this fall/winter. When the guy dropped off the dumpster, he asked what I would be putting in it, and I said some sticks and stuff. When he collected it, I said I picked up a few sticks, and he said in a very surprised manner - I see.

Having a grapple is great, but a grapple and a dumpster is an incredible combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info. Being new to tractors that's the first time I seen one attached to the bucket

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
A grapple will be my next major implement addition. What’s your thoughts on what you have verses the typical grapple that is fully detachable? Does having your bucket add anything or just make it less expensive?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
A grapple will be my next major implement addition. What’s your thoughts on what you have verses the typical grapple that is fully detachable? Does having your bucket add anything or just make it less expensive?
If you will use it often, the extra money for a dedicated grapple is worth it - IMO. One attached to a bucket or pallet forks limits your ability to pick up and manipulate the types of things that a grapple is designed to move. I have already used mine to pick up, transport and dump large limbs, small trees, clumps of old smaller limbs, blobs of wood chunks and piles of semi-decomposed leaves and grass. Many of these loads were easier or even possible to move without a trail of debris because I have a dedicated basket claw grapple (for lack of a better term). The grapple allows you to grab loads from above (no pallet forks sticking out beyond the grapple) and flush to the ground, and then the compression keeps even loose material in place. With large limbs and small trees, I do not have a bucket interfering with the grip or capacity of the grapple.

1618756034722.png

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I got that one above. LOVE it.
I always thought yea I'll keep my tractor nice and shiny, maintain it, no scratches, won't beat on it......
Then I got the grapple and I've turned into Mad Max!!

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...What’s your thoughts on what you have verses the typical grapple that is fully detachable?...
First off, my bucket is a pin on. Swapping bucket to grapple and back, was not an option (in my mind).

Second, I might not be able to grab as much brush with my grapple but I can grab a bucket of dirt or gravel and not even bat an eye.

Third, ANY Grapple that allows you to drive up to and pick up things without getting off the seat - is better then not having that option.

Fourth, I have the time so if I need to make multiple trips, that's just more seat time!! Besides, some of these photos with a huge amount of brush in the grapple - How do you guys see where you are driving to???? 🧐 🤪 🤣

Reactions: 1 user

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Fourth, I have the time so if I need to make multiple trips, that's just more seat time!! Besides, some of these photos with a huge amount of brush in the grapple - How do you guys see where you are driving to???? 🧐 🤪 🤣
Those Great Big Bites of brush in the grapple require me to use the reverse peddle. Otherwise, I'm only guessing where I'm going.:LOL::unsure:
Regards,

• Love

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
First off, my bucket is a pin on. Swapping bucket to grapple and back, was not an option (in my mind).

Second, I might not be able to grab as much brush with my grapple but I can grab a bucket of dirt or gravel and not even bat an eye.

Third, ANY Grapple that allows you to drive up to and pick up things without getting off the seat - is better then not having that option.

The more I look at grapples and consider how I would use one, the more I am leaning to something like you have. The "Add-a-grapple" brand is pinned and looks easy to remove. What about your's? I kinda like the idea of having the choice of bucket or grapple at the same time too. Do your bucket teeth come off easily? I don't know that I'd want those on all the time, but I can see the benefit of them working with the grapple.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...What about your's?... ...Do your bucket teeth come off easily?...
I can remove the grapple lid pretty easy (and have several times) - it's like 75 pounds (about half the total weight). I use a chain hoist in the shed to make it really easy. 3 nuts on bolts and push the pins out...

I've never removed the bar that it's attached to, that's 8 bolts and would be a pain to remove. Besides, I mounted chain hooks on that and I like to leave that on the bucket. That cross bar actually reinforces the top of the bucket, nicely.

The tooth bar is 2 large bolts and I mounted it where the nut is locked in place (against some metal). So, one big wrench and 2 bolts. Very easy, except it is about 100 pounds. You could buy a lighter duty one but this was an extra buy from a Craig's list deal @ $100, I couldn't pass it up. I did have to cut 1/2" off and move a tooth but that was a fun welding project. (and it still holds!!!)

This single lid "Bolt on Grapple" Is a little over $1k new. Reason I bought it was that it was used and only $350 about an hour drive into the country.

Last edited: