Why do front wheels stop spinning

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am assuming you are in 4wd when seeing this?
If that is the case, check the driveshaft to front end or 4wd selector.
And no, lifting front end up is not harmful

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Are the rear wheels still spinning when you lift the front wheels up?

I see you are in Alaska so I could see you spinning the rear wheels on ice or ice/snow scraping with the bucket lifting the front tires off the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
If the machine is in 2WD, the front wheels should spin by hand. (They are not connected to the engine nor rear wheels.)

Additionally, if the Xfer-case is LOCKED, the front wheels would not turn without at least one rear turning. (FRONT -n- REAR of machine locked together)

The ONLY way the engine could turn a front wheel whilst the rears are on the ground would be if there is an open differential in the Xfer-case. (I cannot think of any reason why a tractor would have an open diff in the Xfer case.)

Tractors have an open-diff in the rear axle so the operator can apply individual brake on either wheel to force torque to the other rear wheel.

For maximum straight-line traction, some machines allow locking all three (Rear, Xfer case, front) The machine would not turn..... but sure would be able to pull in a straight line.

Last edited:

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Are the rear wheels still spinning when you lift the front wheels up?

I see you are in Alaska so I could see you spinning the rear wheels on ice or ice/snow scraping with the bucket lifting the front tires off the ground.
Yes, that was probably the case of the rears' spinning. TNK

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
If the machine is in 2WD, the front wheels should spin by hand. (They are not connected to the engine nor rear wheels.)

Additionally, if the Xfer-case is LOCKED, the front wheels would not turn without at least one rear turning. (FRONT -n- REAR of machine locked together)

The ONLY way the engine could turn a front wheel whilst the rears are on the ground would be if there is an open differential in the Xfer-case. (I cannot think of any reason why a tractor would have an open diff in the Xfer case.)

Tractors have an open-diff in the rear axle so the operator can apply individual brake on either wheel to force torque to the other rear wheel.

For maximum straight-line traction, some machines allow locking all three (Rear, Xfer case, front) The machine would not turn..... but sure would be able to pull in a straight line.
Good Info TNK
I am assuming you are in 4wd when seeing this?
If that is the case, check the driveshaft to front end or 4wd selector.
And no, lifting front end up is not harmful
TNKKKKK

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's a 4wd and you lift the front tires off the ground and Both the front wheels quit moving, yet the rear wheels are moving.
#1 You don't have it in 4wd
#2 It's broken something

Reactions: 1 users