Whos shipped equipment or cars across the country?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Im likely in the market for a shipper to transport a purchased toy and also possibly ship away a sold toy. Ive never used this type of service but with all the extra crazy going around dont think ill be taking any cross country trips anytime soon.

How reliable is this service timing wise and is the quote exact? What happens if they damage? I might be buying a used 9- 10K lb excavator out of state and need it delivered.

Any recommendations? Things to avoid?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Try Uship.com

I’ve shipped a tractor from Texas to Michigan, bulldozer and many attachments..

good luck with it

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
(if its a car)
Do not use U-Ship, they are a broker. So you are going to get what you pay for. Don't ask me how i know (CA to NJ). If you do use U-ship i would not chose the lowest quote.

intercity transport is a great operator (they are not on U-Ship).

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
U Ship is a reputable company, formed by Univ of Texas grads and won acclaim in new-business circles. They took the idea of Independent 18-wheeler operators who had empty-return trips and set up a method where they could turn a money-total-loss trip into a revenue-stream that works in favor of both trucker and shipper. It‘s a great idea.
The “Low bid” can be a good deal if you discuss your needs with the bidder so both parties can be assured of the end-result.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
U Ship is a reputable company, formed by Univ of Texas grads and won acclaim in new-business circles. They took the idea of Independent 18-wheeler operators who had empty-return trips and set up a method where they could turn a money-total-loss trip into a revenue-stream that works in favor of both trucker and shipper. It‘s a great idea.
The “Low bid” can be a good deal if you discuss your needs with the bidder so both parties can be assured of the end-result.
Have you actually used uship? Or just quoting Wikipedia?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
U ship is just the middle man. So you are dealing with whatever bottom feeding operator picks up your load request. Use major caution.
Use a reputable shipping company that has been vetted by the community you are working in (cars / tractors ect)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Uship is not a broker. They act as a broker but they do so on the edge of being legal and illegal. Ask them to provide you an MC Number and ask them for a copy of their Bond. Both the MC Number and their Bond are required by law. They will tell you to pound sand. The story that they are used to set up return trips for 18 wheelers is pure BS. They are the Craig's List for the trucking industry. The prices that are on the board are way below the market price for transportation of goods. The only way the trucker on UShip can be making money is if he is running illegally. Often the prices are way below the cost of fuel per mile. The cost of insurance for a commercial truck and the related costs of maintenance and tires etc. make it a non-option for a legal truck to carry.

I have seen the postings of trucks on there that are from some one wanting to haul your belongings as a return from a trip. The one that comes to mind was some thing like this...... I am returning to (northern state) after spending the winter in Florida. Looking for a return load. It all seams good until you see a few flaws.

1) You are allowing a stranger to load up and haul away thousands of dollars of equipment without knowing anything about them.
2) The private insurance will not pay for cargo that is being transported on a private, non-commercial, truck. In other words if he is involved in an accident the damage to your machine is not covered by insurance.
3) If the truck crosses a state line without and MC Number and USDOT number the trucker is breaking the law and the truck and cargo can be impounded.
4) If the truck is stopped for many other violations of the trucking rules and regulations it can be impounded or placed out of service. This means you may forfeit your equipment or the shipment gets delayed until the truck is legal.

Just a word of caution.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
There is no bottom to who u-ship will connect you with. I blame them for not vetting the people they allow on their site to provide a service. For allowing such bottom feeders to lure in naive customers from an 'open market' (such as myself) and take advantage of them. U-Ship sucks.

(post edited down for details)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used U-Ship four times. Never had a problem. One delivery was an '05 Polaris Ranger. On that model the hood did not have a latch, and when going down the road at 65-70 MPH the hood blew up and cracked some plastic (can't remember exactly what it was) but the driver had insurance and covered all repairs to my satisfaction.

Second delivery was an '09 Polaris Ranger. Was delivered exactly on time, on a clean truck and trailer by a retired Hiway Patrol officer.

Third was my L4340 from Byrd Implement in Jackson, TN. I set the pick up myself with the help of the salesman. Delivered on time as promised. Always had phone contact with the drivers and never felt left stranded.

Fourth was just a couple of months ago. I sent a 60" mower deck to a forum member in PA. Buyer set up the shipping. It was through uShip, Inc. (right on the shipping label). Shipper was Central Transport, 40' enclosed trailer. They delivered it one day early. Absolutely no problems!

Guess I'm just lucky!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
When using U-Ship it just depends "who you get". It's luck of the draw and there is no accountability. The best way to select a shipper is a direct referral, from a community (like this one), who has vetted one.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I got a transport referral from the equipment dealer im working with on a mini excavator and i called the company. They are a broker according to the company name in the email but not the one mentioned above.

I was quoted 1150 dock to dock or 1350 with ramps. Thats for 560 miles. The experiences above really suck and will probably be my luck .

So has anyone used a direct shipper or small time outfit in PA?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Have you actually used uship? Or just quoting Wikipedia?
Three times....valuable aircraft engines in one shipment, heavy construction equipment on the other two..... each time delivery was on-time and no problem.
However, the one time I used a car-carrier in a direct contract (I.E. NOT U-ship) to ship a compactor-roller 160 miles ... the driver attempted to insert a “fuel surcharge” onto the delivery invoice. I refused to pay it and grabbed my cell ph to call the company and the driver immediately crossed-out the surcharge. Next time I’ll use U-ship again.

I will share my U-Ship story. This was prob 10 years ago... Strap in.......A friend suggested U-Ship. I was going to "save" $800!
The car gets picked up and I'm sent a picture from my girlfriend, not the driver. Above the rear of my girlfriends daily-driver is a 1960s vintage milk truck precariously hanging off the back of the trailer over her trunk. ......

....My girlfriend is home, and her car is brought to a location other than the one I specified, and at NIGHT. She (not being a car person) casually signs off on the car on a pitch dark street.
Sooo.... your girlfriend was present when the “POS” truck/trailer showed up ... but she allowed them to take the car anyway? And she signed for the damaged car when it was finally delivered?
Are you who paid the bill to have that car inspected and repaired? Is she still your girlfriend?

I’d have hired a lawyer and owned a fraud lawsuit settlement. It wouldn’t be difficult to prove that damage and lousy cover-up repair was the responsibility of the delivery service. She must really be fun....

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Tell ya what, I'll drop off a dirty car, on a pitch dark road at 11pm, and ask your wife to rate the paint job, see how she does (y)

U-Ship, use at your own risk. There is no accountability, and there is no bottom to the people they (as an intermediary) will connect you with. It's like asking the local drug dealer "if they know guy..."
(edited down for details)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user