Who is Bill Gates?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bill 65 and Melinda (French) Gates 56 did not have a prenuptial agreement.
In 1991 Bill Gates wealth surpassed 101 billion.
They began dating in 1987 and Married Jan. 1 1994 = (34 years as a couple)
3 children Jennifer, Rory and Phoebe.

Melinda graduated valedictorian from a Catholic high school in Dallas
and computer engineering and economics degrees from Duke University.
Bill is a college dropout.
In 2014 Bill stated, "The morals system of religion are super important.
Our children attended the Catholic church Melinda goes to and I participate in.
Science has filled in some of the realm that religion used to fill in, but the mystery and beauty of the world is overwhelmingly amazing and there's no scientific explanation of how it came about. I think it makes sense to believe in God."

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I consider Bill a highly intelligent bullshit artist that reads and recommends a lot of books for starters. Every time my windows based work computer glitches I curse the day he was born. I must admit the world is no doubt a better place due to the developments of Mr. Softee . (Microsoft Stock symbol;MSFT) He designed, built and installed the plumbing that built the modern digitized world we inhabit. The US economy increasingly lubricated by technology is the envy of most of the world. It's unique. The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell has a section devoted to the people who developed some fantastic businesses around the same time and place. Gates , Jobs, Ellison... Worth reading in my opinion.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I consider Bill a highly intelligent bullshit artist that reads and recommends a lot of books for starters. Every time my windows based work computer glitches I curse the day he was born. I must admit the world is no doubt a better place due to the developments of Mr. Softee . (Microsoft Stock symbol;MSFT) He designed, built and installed the plumbing that built the modern digitized world we inhabit. The US economy increasingly lubricated by technology is the envy of most of the world. It's unique. The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell has a section devoted to the people who developed some fantastic businesses around the same time and place. Gates , Jobs, Ellison... Worth reading in my opinion.
Agree “Outliers” is worth the time to read.

Not disagreeing with the rest of the post, just a hearty upvote for “Outliers”.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Bill got a start by buying an operating system from Seattle Computer (Q DOS) which he renamed DOS (Disc Operating System) and sold to IBM for their new Personal Computer. I suspect his father (a lawyer) helped with the contracts. Windows was originally a program to run under DOS, in fact you can still find it there. IBM came up with OS/2 as a graphic platform (arguably better than Windows 95) but Windows 95 was introduced with such hoopla that OS/2 never stood a chance. That was probably where Bill got a lock on being Master of the Universe.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
I put Gates in the same bin as Kanye West, the Kardashians, Ophrah Winfrey, Dr. Oz and all those other celebrities that talk about stuff that they know nothing about. The cult of personality worshipping has just gotten the whole country in trouble. It was okay when it was just kids idolizing pop music stars, movie actors and sports heroes. But when those same famous people (plus Gates and the usual corporate suspects) started blithering about this and that, you just knew it was all going to end badly. Social media has just amplified the crap slinging.

Reactions: 2 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Bill got a start by buying an operating system from Seattle Computer (Q DOS) which he renamed DOS (Disc Operating System) and sold to IBM for their new Personal Computer. I suspect his father (a lawyer) helped with the contracts. Windows was originally a program to run under DOS, in fact you can still find it there. IBM came up with OS/2 as a graphic platform (arguably better than Windows 95) but Windows 95 was introduced with such hoopla that OS/2 never stood a chance. That was probably where Bill got a lock on being Master of the Universe.
He did not sell the operating system to IBM. He sold "licenses" to IBM and no ownership. IBM could not change the operating system, improve it, nor sell it, if not covered by the license agreement That is where the lawyer part came in handy and made him the fortune.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
He did not sell the operating system to IBM. He sold "licenses" to IBM and no ownership. IBM could not change the operating system, improve it, nor sell it, if not covered by the license agreement That is where the lawyer part came in handy and made him the fortune.
The licenses to IBM were nice but that is not where the windfall came in.

He was contracted by IBM. He did not go to them and sell a finished product. The one item above all else was the provision in the contract that allowed MS to sell DOS to anyone else. At the time IBM was the only game in town it would run on so they didn't care. With the introduction of the PC architecture MS sold literally tens of millions of copies around the world. That fueled the funding/marketing for WIN.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I thought he invented the modern radiator hose and fan belt.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well who ever he is, he has more money than all of us

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
The guy (and his wife) have established a philanthropic organization that gives away millions every day. They personally have given away over a billion of their own money. They have pledged (and gotten other ultra rich) to pledge giving away the bulk of their estates to charities upon their deaths.
Say what you want, it's not a bad legacy.
I remember the days of DOS and CPM. He was clever enough to make the deal with IBM that sealed CPM's fate and guaranteed his future.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I guess you could say that, Skeets, however does it buy happiness?
No, but it buys jet skis... Have you ever seen somebody on a jet ski frowning?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When money is irrelevant you can rent an island for 132K a night for you and your kids privacy!